Menu

Vocabulary

happycc

I know there are three main choices for vocabulary:

1) Wordly Wise

2)Vocabulary from Classical Roots

3)Vocabulary Workshop

I have an idea of Wordly Wise as I was subjected to it as a child and it was awful. 

I don't know option 2 and 3. 

Another mom, I think Crimson Red likes Vocabulary Workshop and I would like to know 1) what edition does she recommend, 2) if you need the teacher's edition and 3)how does the letter correspond to grade levels or whatever?

I've been pondering this as well.  At first I wanted just a vocab book and we've been using Wordly Wise 3000.  WW is a nice gentle approach to vocab and suits my 7yo, but my 9yo needs a little more meat.  I found Vocabulary Workshop Orange (4th grade) and Blue (5th grade) slightly used and this series seems more oriented towards test taking - matching, fill in the blank.  From what I've read of Vocabulary from Classical Roots it's more about learning vocab with the same root.  I wanted to like this book, but it seemed a little disorganized.  I only looked at the samples and I didn't like the activity of guessing at which word went with which definition when the choices used similar roots.  I have never used this book.

I'll use Wordly Wise with my 7yo.  I have been teaching my 9yo word roots using lists from English From the Roots Up by playing games with the words (go fish, memory match) and we'll probably pick and choose between the WW book and Vocab Workshop only because I have it.  I'd love to use MCT's Caesar English but that will wait until next summer after we finish all of Grammar Island.

Also, for Vocabulary Workshop I have the TM edition of Blue (5th Grade) and it gives an explanation of the different sections in each unit and it has diagnostic tests, and it has the entire student book in it with all the answers.  I only bought this because it was used and very cheap.  I would not bother getting the TM.

Hope that helps.

I was in search of something for vocabulary too.  But, I dreaded the thought of another workbook.  I went with Marie's Words.  I got them from Timberdoodle.  There are samples at her website, and also at Amazon. 

I forgot about a vocab workbook I have.  I got it last year but then didn't use it and put it aside for this year.  I just found where I had put it and it looks really good.  It's called 100 Little Language Lessons.  There are 5 sample pages at Amazon.  All 100 lessons are the same format with 6 words a lesson/page.  I think I'll give my daughter one page a day and maybe on Friday quiz her on the words she worked with that week. 

You'll find many more options if you search the forums.

1. Roots-and-affixes-based approach

I have the 4 books from Creative Teaching Press, called Greek And Latin Roots, More Greek and Latin Roots and the 2 books on Prefixes/Suffixes. I like them because they are not mere workbooks, but have 2 cut-out-and-play games for each weekly unit.

I also have English From the Roots Up, another non-workbook program. I have both, the text and the flashcards, but you can do the program with either one. There are also some free, online activities to go with this.

Another series I recently found is called Building Vocabulary From Word Roots by Teacher Created Materials. These are colourful and affordable workbooks for grades 1 to 11.

There is also Vocabulary From Greek and Latin Roots from Prestwick House.

Finally, everyone raves about MCT Caesar's English 1 and 2.

2. Context-based vocab words approach

Evan-Moor has several graded workbooks such as Word A Day, Daily Academic Vocabulary and Vocabulary Fundamentals.

There is Vocabulit, which has words taught in context of passages from literature.

There is also Megawords, which is more for spelling but helps in  vocabulary.

There is also Marcia Henry's Words, which combines root study with spelling.  I use this with my remedial students who need both vocab and spelling help, it is not the absolute best for either spelling or vocab but is great for doing both efficiently, it does both well and will save time if you need work on both.

http://www.proedinc.com/customer/productView.aspx?ID=989

My daughter was having trouble learning vocabulary from context, so I had her read through a few stories in a McGuffey reader per day.  At first, she read the vocab before and after.  Then, she just read it after.  Her vocabulary went up 3 grade levels in a year (She completed 1 McGuffey book that year) and she now is good at gaining vocab from any reading, not just the McGuffey.  In fact, I told her she was free to drop the McGuffey if she wanted, but she enjoys it and it doesn't take much time.  We also talked a bit about how to figure out vocabulary from context, but mostly she just read the McGuffey readers.

It also looks good for the price, I bout it but I have not used it yet, Instant Vocabulary, just under $7:

http://www.amazon.com/Instant-Vocabulary-Ida-Ehrlich/dp/0671677276/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1377492131&sr=8-1&keywords=instant+vocabulary