Menu

Microscopes: does a 100X lens require oil immersion?

Or, can we just use it to see more details in prepared slides, such as the ones for Apologia Biology?

I can buy a used Sonlight microscope locally inexpensively, and I'm wondering if it would be worth it to buy the 100X lens from SL to add to it.  We're not a particularly science-oriented family, but more detail = more cool, right?  =D

Yes it needs oil to actually see anything worth seeing(and needs to be an "oil immersion" type lens). If you're not "science-y" then a 40X objective with a 10X lens will probably fill your needs. You can see plant cells, paramecium(it won't be high detail) bacteria will look like elongated dots. You'll have no problem with blood cells, bug parts, or animal bits. Before you decide, give it awhile see how you like the scope as is. Also make sure to check out Amazon for better prices or go straight to the manufacturer. There is a particular online seller who is very popular on here (I love them myself) but their scopes are just rebranded Amscopes with higher prices. So make sure you're getting a good deal on extra parts if you do decide to upgrade.

Another option is to skip the 100X objective and get 20X viewing lens(es). So you would have your 4X objective that would be a 40X and an 80X , the 10X= 100X, 200X, etc...

Here's what I bought, the only problem I have is that I can't see through the binocular and have to just use one eye. http://www.amazon.com/Promotion-Set-40X-2000X-Microscope-Mechanical/dp/B0094JTZOU/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1377103578&sr=8-3&keywords=omax

HTH

Here's what I bought, the only problem I have is that I can't see through the binocular and have to just use one eye. http://www.amazon.com/Promotion-Set-40X-2000X-Microscope-Mechanical/dp/B0094JTZOU/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1377103578&sr=8-3&keywords=omax

HTH

Just curious, why can't you see through the binocular? We have a binocular scope and dd can't stand it. She always pulls out one eye piece. Ds and I use it though. It isn't the scope. I just wondered if she isn't alone.

I tutor at a community college. Only the microbiology labs use oil immersion. Biology for science majors does not use oil immersion. I'm a medical technologist and am used to working with oil immersion. I would not buy one for home use. Remember, the oil is really icky and can ruin the other lenses if you get it on them.

Just curious, why can't you see through the binocular? We have a binocular scope and dd can't stand it. She always pulls out one eye piece. Ds and I use it though. It isn't the scope. I just wondered if she isn't alone.

For most people, it takes practice to be able to focus with both eyes through a binocular scope. It is easier for most students to just use one eyepiece - or really just use one eye through the binocular scope. I remember in learning to use a binocular scope that often I'd use one eye at first and then with two eyes the image would go back and forth between being two images and then merge into one and back into two - it can be very disconcerting when the images keep changing.

I can't use binocular scopes well because my eyes see so differently.  It makes it really hard to focus the microscope when I use both eyes because I really need to focus for each eye separately. Does your dd wear glasses?  If not, have her cover each eye in turn to tell you if one sees better than the other. 

For most people, it takes practice to be able to focus with both eyes through a binocular scope. It is easier for most students to just use one eyepiece - or really just use one eye through the binocular scope. I remember in learning to use a binocular scope that often I'd use one eye at first and then with two eyes the image would go back and forth between being two images and then merge into one and back into two - it can be very disconcerting when the images keep changing.

Yep this. It might have to do with my really horrible vision? one eye is 525/20 the other is 575/20.

I tutor at a community college. Only the microbiology labs use oil immersion. Biology for science majors does not use oil immersion. I'm a medical technologist and am used to working with oil immersion. I would not buy one for home use. Remember, the oil is really icky and can ruin the other lenses if you get it on them.

I appreciate your saying this!  I won't give it a second thought now!  :)