Menu

Do you save copies of old IEPS and accommodations?

Tap

DD6 goes to a B&M school.  Documentation from pre-school and K, is over an inch of paper work.Not work samples, just the paperwork from the school on her IEP and behavior plans.   I am not a saver by instinct, and wonder if there is any reason to save old IEPS and such?  I occasionally, reread my yearly assessments from her therapists, just to remind myself of how far we have come, but all 6 years worth are only 1/2 inch of papers, at most. 

Save or toss? 

Yes I save everything. I was told to keep a paper trail to prove my child's issues were present at an early age. The example I was given was when she became a young adult and needed services, help etc that no-one could assume drug use, irresponsible behavior as a teenager etc causes her issues.

I save it, too. I have a shelf for it in a closet. There is room for the stack to grow, so I will just be setting more on top.

Wrightslaw has a page about how/why to keep documentation. I don't have my stuff organized that way, but I would do it if I needed to.

I had a feeling when my older son exited private speech, like I just wanted that part of his life to be over. I did not want the evidence of it. But really, an inch is not much if you make a place for it. Maybe a place out of sight!

I don't have quite the thick file from younger years because my children never had IEPs, being, first, in schools overseas and then homeschooling. My son entered a public school program hen he was 16yo. I was extremely helpful to have all the data I did have from preschool years- evals and a couple of teacher reports from preschool. They established that there was a history, even though ds didn't have professional intervention from age 7-15.

Ok, I will keep them.  :0/  Maybe I will see if I can fine a file box and just start tossing things in.  Between her guardianship, medical issues, therapies, IEPs, behavior plans and just misc documents..... I think I have about 5 inches of documents already and she is only 6 yo!  

Maybe I will get a box and just start piling it all in together by date and figure that I will sort it, if I need it!  

I manage my daughter's evaluations and IEP stuff with binders. We are currently starting binder 3  because every three years she gets reevaluated (psych/ed psych etc). So in the front flap of the three inch binder I put any evaluations she had school or private  (speech/OT/psych/vision etc) chronologically for those three years. Then in the three ring part I have all the correspondence from the school district (letter, IEP's, quarterly reports etc) in chronological order. In the back flap I keep any research, extra items I needed for those CSE meetings. So binder 1 has grades K-2, binder 2 has grades 3-5, etc. I usually organize and three-hole punch a month before her CSE meeting. Typically I throw papers I get during the year into the back of the binder and then spend an afternoon or so organizing it.

My daughter is only 5, but has been involved in EI-type things since 8 months old.  Every time I have almost thrown something away, I've been happy that I had it at some later date.  I am also not a saver, but I think this is an exception.  The paper trail can be so helpful in unforeseeable ways.