Menu

World Geography Literature UPDATED

I wanted to add a geography specific study, so I worked up a list of possible books. The books include descriptions which I copied and pasted from Amazon.

The boys will continue their normal history studies, but we'll cover some of these books as read alouds, they may do some as readers, then we'll add some free online maps. The focus is on countries that we simply don't read a lot about during normal history studies, though there are still many countries not represented at all on the list. We already cover U.S. geography, so the only contiguous U.S. books which I added are Newbery Award winners which take place in the U.S.

http://barefootmeandering.com/images/WorldGeographyLit.pdf

Eventually, the list will be on the page in my sig, but I haven't gotten it added yet. 

If you have any suggestions or want to point out mistakes or twaddle, just let me know! There are almost 200 books on the list, and I have never seen most of them. In particular, I'd love book suggestions for countries which aren't represented here.

This list looks great.  Are these all picture books or a mix of picture books and chapter books?  It would be helpful to be able to tell at a glance what general age group (elementary, middle, high school) each book is targeted at. 

I think 'My Side of the Mountain' by Jean Craighead George is fabulous. A lot of nature stuff in it too. Also 'The Story of my Life' by Helen Keller...

For Canadian books:

'The Outside Chance of Maximilian Glick' by Morley Torgov---boy growing up in small-town Ontario

'The Way the Crow Flies' by Anne-Marie MacDonald---life on an army base during WW1---some adult content, but very well done

'The Jade Peony' by Wayson Choi---high school or above---immigrant Japanese family growing up in Vancouver

'Ovrclocked' by Cory Doctorow---or any of his short story collections, really :)---junior high or above

'Free the Children' by Craog Kielburger---true story about a 10-year-old boy who founded a charity to help end child labour

This list looks great.  Are these all picture books or a mix of picture books and chapter books?  It would be helpful to be able to tell at a glance what general age group (elementary, middle, high school) each book is targeted at. 

To my knowledge, only one of them is a picture book, and it's marked in the description. High school level books that I added specifically for my oldest begin with HS. The rest appear to be what I'd call "family read aloud" kind of level. As we read, I'll probably make notes of any that don't quite fit that general category. 

Ficbot, thanks for the additional books! I'll work on getting those added.

D'oh.  Thanks for the info.  That's what I get for only quickly glancing at the list.  I should have looked closer.

To my knowledge, only one of them is a picture book, and it's marked in the description. High school level books that I added specifically for my oldest begin with HS. The rest appear to be what I'd call "family read aloud" kind of level. As we read, I'll probably make notes of any that don't quite fit that general category. 

Ficbot, thanks for the additional books! I'll work on getting those added.

D'oh.  Thanks for the info.  That's what I get for only quickly glancing at the list.  I should have looked closer.

It's forty pages, so I think you can be forgiven for the quick glance. :-D 

I have trouble marking them by reading level. I marked primary sources and adult level non-fiction as HS, but my 12yos can probably handle some, or all, of them. A couple of books caught my eye because of content, though the reading level is such that my 9yos could handle them fine. It's tricky and it makes my head hurt. 

I made some significant additions to the list; it's more than 60 pages now. I added lots of Heritage History public domain books, and I added a bunch of picture books that I found. Plus a few others. 

The boys will be continuing their scheduled history while we do this as (mostly) read alouds. So far, I'm having a blast with this. I understand, and agree, with the SOTW way of studying history as a whole. However, it's still nice to focus on just one culture for a while before moving on to another.

I am looking into books of South America, my children's heritage... and I bumped into this site... have not gotten any book so I cannot comment.... here is the site...

http://www.kidsbooksbolivia.org/books/

=o)

K

ETA: I found a link to a book, I read it, it was nice, Great pictures and Geography was well explained. I am familiar with the mentioned mountain... I was there in the 80s.  http://www.un.org/waterforlifedecade/pdf/what_happened_to_chita.pdf

Their facebook page had the link. https://www.facebook.com/pages/Kids-Books-Bolivia/185541438186758

Some of you may have misunderstood. I came up with a list of literature for our study of world geography. I thought it might be helpful to others, so I posted it. It is a work in progress. We will certainly be making changes, and hopefully finding books for areas which are currently not represented. 

However, since it is a 60 page work in progress, I offer no apologies for anything it lacks, nor am I attempting to turn this into some sort of curriculum.

I would love suggestions for family read-alouds for places not currently represented. Please feel free to PM me if you have one.

New Zealand: a rather random selection of things available on amazon.

The runaway settlers by Elsie Locke. About a woman who leaves her abusive husband in Australia and brings her large family to New Zealand. Good picture of early settler life.

Canoe in the mist by Elsie Locke. About the volcanic eruption that destroyed the world famous pink and white terraces and buried a local village. I haven't read this as I have never come across copy but this may change soon.

These are available on kindle.

The Soldier and the Bantam by Jennifer Beck. I like this. It is about a NZ soldier in WW1. I must get a copy soon.

Maori Legends for young New Zealanders by Katarina Mataira. This is the one we had as children. There are newer flashier versions but it is still a good introduction.

If you kids are older and you can find a copy of "Last Chance to See" the section on the Kakapo could be added.

If you kids are older and you can find a copy of "Last Chance to See" the section on the Kakapo could be added.

Someone gave me this book years ago as a gift and I just re-read it again this year.  It is fantastic!

I wanted to add a geography specific study, so I worked up a list of possible books. The books include descriptions which I copied and pasted from Amazon.

The boys will continue their normal history studies, but we'll cover some of these books as read alouds, they may do some as readers, then we'll add some free online maps. The focus is on countries that we simply don't read a lot about during normal history studies, though there are still many countries not represented at all on the list. We already cover U.S. geography, so the only contiguous U.S. books which I added are Newbery Award winners which take place in the U.S.

http://barefootmeandering.com/images/WorldGeographyLit.pdf

Eventually, the list will be on the page in my sig, but I haven't gotten it added yet. 

If you have any suggestions or want to point out mistakes or twaddle, just let me know! There are almost 200 books on the list, and I have never seen most of them. In particular, I'd love book suggestions for countries which aren't represented here.

This is a great list; thanks so much for sharing it!