Menu

Brand new to Homeschooling and Classical method this year..Help

I have finally decided to officially take the plunge and homeschool. My DS is 7 and supposed to be starting the 2nd grade. I'm reading the WTM but am kind of on information overload!! Since I'm wanting to do the classical method and follow the yearly outline of the WTM for English (reading topics), History, and Science should I start with the information he would have learned in 1st grade and just do it at his level or just dive in and do the 2nd grade topics. In the History chapter it suggested starting at the 1st grade level but I didn't see that suggestion in all the discussion of what to read for English.  Need help making this decision...Suggestions welcome!

We're just starting too. My dd is 8 and entering third grade. I really like the idea of covering history in three four-year cycles, but clearly we're two years behind on that. We decided to do a two-year history/literature survey based on the suggestions in WTM, then start over with the ancients in 5th grade and use a slower, more in-depth pace. At least, that's the plan right now. To me, it makes the most sense to "begin at the beginning," so to speak, and work our way through, although I know there are many here who do history on longer or shorter cycles and don't necessarily follow SWB's schedule. That's okay too -- it's all about what works best for your family.

Having an extra year, you obviously could work at a slower pace than we are planning on. Maybe combine ancient/medieval this year, and space out the renaissance and modern periods over the two remaining years, for example. We are using SOTW for our spine, but since we can't cover everything in just two years, we're focusing on western civilzation for now and will pick up some of the other material in middle school. My dd likes a quick pace, so I think this will work fine for her, but your ds's needs might be different.

We will be keeping literature and history together, just because I like that continuity. It's part of the reason I decided to stick with WTM instead of going with a package curriculum. So, this fall we'll be reading some things that are suggested in WTM for first-graders. SWB makes a point of saying that all literature suggestions in the grammar stage section are appropriate for grades 1-4, regardless of the period of history they relate to, so I have no qualms about using things from all four periods. Being older and somewhat advanced, my dd will be able to read most everything on her own, whereas some suggestions for first grade would need to be read aloud for most first-graders.

For science, we decided to focus on chemistry, which is the suggested third-grade topic in WTM. Mostly, this is because I felt like she already had gotten decent exposure to the life and earth sciences in ps, and I wanted to cover chemistry (and next year, physics) as well at the grammar stage. I am not a science-y person, so I admit this is one area that I won't put as much energy into at this point, but since they were only doing science sporadically in ps, I think I can do as well as they do. :) Of course, we will also try to take advantage of science/nature opportunities as they present themselves -- like the babies our friends' rabbit just had.

We start on Monday, and I fully expect to have to make some tweaks along the way, but the beauty of homeschooling is being able to adjust as we go along. I do know how you feel though -- it was very overwhelming to me at first too, especially trying to figure out how to start in the middle. I felt like, no matter what, we were going to "miss out" on something. But I keep reminding myself that we will come back to all of this stuff again in a couple of years, and there is plenty of time!

Again, you should definitely go with your gut and do what you think will work best for your particular child. But I hope this helps! Good luck!

The sky is the limit at his age! I think you are asking whether to start at ancients or medieval. It is up to you! I started homeschooling in 2nd and 3rd so we did a year of US history and then the next year started to do ancients. I particularly wanted to do ancients to study biblical history. I plan to do two full cycles, slowing down when we hit important US history places.

You could do that or spend a year on countries and cultures, etc.

Since I'm wanting to do the classical method and follow the yearly outline of the WTM for English (reading topics), History, and Science should I start with the information he would have learned in 1st grade... or just dive in and do the 2nd grade topics.

Welcome!

Usually, one of two options are suggested:

1. start with the first year of the cycle -- ancients for history, life science for science

2. fold in the student in the midst (usually suggested if you've started the 4-year cycle and are in mid-cycle when it's time to start a sibling) -- so, in your case, that would be medieval for history, and earth science for science

If it really doesn't matter to either you or DS, then start with ancients and life science. If it would make transitioning into homeschooling for your family easier due to a high interest in a different history period or science topic, then do that, and just move forward from there; you'll come back around eventually.

When we started homeschooling our DSs in grades 1 and 2, I was stumped as to which to do. Finally, I decided to start with ancients for history, so we could "start at the beginning", and start with earth science for science -- we had already done loads of reading on animals and the human body, and were motivated to learn about something else. ;) It worked fine, with no problems.

To be honest [i'm whispering now, lol], whatever history and science you cover in the early elementary years, and especially in your first year is icing on top! Mostly you're spending your time figuring out what curriculum would fit your family and how to use it. And the real biggie: transitioning into how homeschooling looks at *your* house. :)

Our initial plan was three 4-year cycles, but we were having so much fun bunny-trailing, and then spending a year focusing on U.S. History, our first cycle took 6 years. Then we spent a year in middle school setting aside history to do a fabulous study on world cultures/geography and comparative religions, focusing on Eastern Hemisphere nations that usually get neglected. :) It was a FABULOUS study, and really helped prepare our DSs for deeper thinking and understanding of history and worldview in the high school round of History.

... I didn't see that suggestion in all the discussion of what to read for English.  Need help making this decision...Suggestions welcome!

As far as what to use for Language Arts (English), you go with what level is appropriate for your child's abilities -- if that's 1st grade materials for some things, 2nd grade materials for most things, or 3rd grade materials -- go with what will fit his level of working and help him to continue to advance.

Generally, LA for 1st - 3rd grades includes:

- Reading

- Handwriting (or copywork)

- Writing (usually basic narration at this age)

- Phonics (in support of reading and spelling)

- possibly Spelling (some people do not start formal spelling until 3rd grade)

- Grammar (some people do not start formal grammar until 3rd-5th grade)

- Vocabulary (can be exposure through reading and speaking, or can use a formal program; if it requires writing and you have a student who struggles with writing, then do it orally or wait a few years)

If you'd like a lot of your reading to match your History, check out the booklists from various homeschool curriculum providers, esp. those that follow a 4-year or 6-year history cycle. But be SURE to also include lots and lots of those wonderful children's books (readers and read-alouds!) that are perfect for this age but don't match up with the History time period! You don't want to miss out on all the lovely language, laughing together, and shared memories those books bring. :)

Lots of wonderful titles to choose from for "don't miss" read-alouds:

1000 Good Books (good books, listed by age ranges)

Ambleside Online (booklists by grade level)

Sonlight Curriculum Read-Alouds (check out the kinder through 2nd grade for good read-alouds)

Ideas for readers/read-alouds to match your History:

- A Book in Time (free online booklists)

- Paula's Archives: Literature to Supplement History (free online booklist)

- Sonlight Curriculum Books Arranged By Well-Trained Mind 4-Year Cycles (free online booklist)

- Guest Hollow (free schedules, booklists, etc., based on 4-year history cycle)

Curriculum Providers who base readers/read-alouds on Chronological History Cycle

- Biblioplan (4-year history-based curriculum)

Tanglewood Curriculum

- My Father's World (4-year history-based curriculum)

- Veritas Press (6-year history-based curriculum)

- Tapestry of Grace (4-year history-based curriculum)

- Pandia Press (4-year history-based curriculum)

Again, welcome, and have fun! :) Warmest regards, Lori D.

I think it would be easiest for me to just jump in to all of the 2nd grade rotations all at once.  You only missed one year.  Take narrations and copywork and dictation as slowly as you need to to get her started.  But jump into yr 2 of science, history, and the matching lit.  You will have 5th grade to get back to ancients and go deeper.  Read SOTW 1 alongside whatever 5th grade materials you do at that point.  It will still be worth the read.