Menu

Making a sauce/gravy

Night Elf

I'm broiling pork chops tonight. I'd like to make a sauce to go with them. The only thing I know for sure is that I want to use onions. How can I make a simple sauce that tastes good? I have basic pantry ingredients, nothing fancy. If I can't figure it out, I'll just saute the onions and serve them on top of the pork chops.

I'd just caramelize the onions in butter, with a splash of vinegar at the end to freshen and maybe a little mustard. Or could add thinly sliced apples... something tart would be nice.

For gravy, I make a roux with half a stick of butter and 1/4 c flour and slowly whisk in stock.  Bring to a simmer until it thickens, then add salt, pepper and thyme.  For the onions, I would slowly carmelize/brown those in the butter and then make the roux, adding more butter if needed.

I do a combination of what others suggested. Do like WendyK suggested with the pan drippings, then carmelize the onions in another pan, or the same one it would be easier. Then make your roux and finish off with WendyK's instructions with the stock and such.

Man that sounds good.

I do it similarly to WendyK. Season the pork chops, then sear them on both sides. Remove to a plate. Sauté your onions, then deglaze the pan with 3/4 cup white wine and 1/4 cup chicken or beef stock. Whisk whisk whisk to get everything combined, then return the pork chops to the pan and simmer until they're done. Pull them out and whisk in a pat of butter which will make the sauce nice and glossy.

Now I really want pork chops! :)

I made this for dinner last night - Spiced Pork Tenderloin with Sautéed Apples.  The recipe doesn't include gravy, but the sauces from both the pork tenderloin drippings and sautéed apples were amazing. 

I just made that, too! It really is excellent. I fired in a little pomegranate molasses, as my apples were a little tart, but it would have been just fine without.

Saute the chops, caramelize the onions in the same pan with a little butter, add equal amounts of butter and flour to the pan and then add chicken stock. 1 tbsp. butter, 1 tbsp. flour, 1 cup liquid.

You can deglaze the pan after the onions with stock, wine, or any other liquid.

I ended up just doing a saute of the onions by themselves. I don't have any stock. I buy super thick chops and we like the way they turn out when broiled, so I just wanted something to go along with them. I just made a super creamy mashed potatoes side and that seemed to bring in enough moisture at least. I'm really trying to pick up some cooking skills. It seems like making a sauce/gravy should be something I need to know.

However,  I'm definitely doing well with cupcakes and mini-lemon pies! I need to stop focusing so much on sweets and work on savory.