Menu

memebership websites worth the $ ?

Murphy101

I was looking around enchantedlearning.com and contemplating printing some french and plant stuff from there.  I see they have gotten more restrictive in what non-paid members can access since I last looked there years ago.

Is it worth it?

Can anyone suggest other paid or free similiar sites they think are worth using?

I have paid for IXL (the math website) and for Enchanted Learning and ABCTeach. In my opinion, ABCTeach is well worth the money; I didn't feel like Enchanted Learning offered as much bang for its buck plus, the website was more cumbersome to navigate IMO.

Now IXL is worth every stinkin' penny! I live in GA where the state doesn't require too much reporting, but I like that IXL is one of those places where I can go and print a list of what DD has been working on. If something should happen and I have to put DD back into school, it will make it easy to demonstrate her math skills.

Spelling & Vocabulary City is one I have only used as a freebie, but this year I will start using the paid subscription. This is another website which is worth every penny. SVC lets you enter your own word lists. We use a unit study called Trail Guide (by Geomatters) and I like to enter our spelling words from TG. I also tend to go off on tangents and occasionally add lists like the names of the US presidents, state capitals, states, etc. You can also SHARE your lists, so if you know of a reliable HS mom who uses the same curriculum as you, you can search for her user ID and access her lists. I used to use Abeka. If you search for "Abeka 1st Grade" or something like that, you'll find somebody else has probably input those words before. Can't say enough good stuff about S&VC. Even the free stuff is an AWESOME resource!

I have a lifetime membership to NotebookingPages.com which gives me access to the Notebooking Publisher which is awesome.  I create copywork pages more than anything and now it's made more user friendly for those who create their own notebooking pages.  I create Notebooking pages for our bible lessons, Fiar, reading, science, whatever.  It was certainly worth the money and now I won't have to worry about come August and membership being due again and having to use my homeschool budget.  

My More Starfall membership just lapsed but it was worth the $35.00 a year.  My kids are a little too old for the site now but the math section is fantastic.  When my 2-year-old is older, I will once again buy the membership.  When they are allowed to play on the computer, I only allow them to visit 3 approved sites and Starfall is one of them if they are ages 4-8.  The math games were my personal favorite but they always seemed to like other areas of the site.  Oh well, I more than got my money's worth out of that deal.

I've always wondered if Spelling City was worth the money and at present we only use the free parts of the site.