Menu

Need Algebra 2 advice

I am in serious need of math help for my 10th grade DS.  He is a STEM kid and loves chemistry and physics.  I am very unsure as to what to do for Algebra 2 as I want his math foundation to be solid.  Here is what we have done for math up to this point:

Pre-algebra: Saxon 87 (he hated Saxon and the incremental way it teaches)

Algebra 1: Lial’s Introductory Algebra (found all the examples too busy at times and sometimes confusing – thanks Jann for helping us through factoring)

Geometry: Teaching Textbooks (liked the video lessons and did well)

Over the summer we worked through the first 5 chapters of AoPS Intro to Algebra.  He did ok but found himself frustrated with some of the more difficult problems.  He does not enjoy sitting for 45 minutes trying to figure out one problem.  So this was not a fit.  I purchased TT Algebra 2 2.0 for him because he enjoyed their geometry program and did learn a lot.  However as I went through the book this summer alongside a Larson Intermediate Algebra text, I realized the depth is missing from TT.  I also noticed it is really lacking in word problems (an area my ds has trouble with).  He started TT about a month ago and is currently in chapter 3.  The math lesson is literally taking 15 minutes.  He says it is easy and he already knows all this.  I am panicking slightly because I feel he is not being challenged at all.  So here are my choices as I see them:

1. Stick with TT and supplement with the Larson text.

2. Switch to the Foerster Algebra and Trig text using the DVDs from Math without Borders

3. Use the Larson text exclusively (although I don’t have the DVD’s, which he likes)

4. Pull out the Lial’s Intermediate Algebra text and use it even though at points he finds it too busy

5. Something else?????

He likes math and says it is his favorite subject.  He also enjoys doing review of concepts he has already learned (although if a text is mastery, I can provide the review).  I want him to be challenged but I also want him to continue to like math.  Any advice for a math paralyzed mom?

Thanks

Chalkdust?

That's why I purchased the Larson text.  I wanted to see if he would like the layout of the text.  I was really hoping to not spend 300.00 or so on the DVD's but I could do it if I sell all the other math curriculum I have sitting on the shelves.  :001_smile:

If he likes the DVDs, I would get them. Math will be critical in a STEM field. I'd consider doing math year round for a while to help him "catch up". He may need to back up to Algebra I since TT was a lighter approach. Maybe he could do an Algebra I review without the DVDs, but I would get them for the other texts.

How did he do with the word problems in Saxon 8/7? I know you mentioned he hated it, but if he was able to do them, you might want to consider just using Algebra I temporarily to help him learn how to translate the word problems into equations. Once he can do that, then he should find problem solving a bit easier. Obviously if word problems were difficult with 8/7, then he needs a different approach.

Another possibility might be to pick up the pace of Teaching Textbooks Algebra 2 with the intention of moving into their Precalculus program mid-way through the year.  When he has finished TT Precalculus have him move on into another more rigorous Precalculus program.

Regards,

Kareni

Another possibility might be to pick up the pace of Teaching Textbooks Algebra 2 with the intention of moving into their Precalculus program mid-way through the year.  When he has finished TT Precalculus have him move on into another more rigorous Precalculus program.

This is my current plan.  Double or triple assignments daily for TT Alg. 2 until it gets challenging, which I don't expect to happen for a long time since we used Lial's for Alg. 1, then move on to TT Precalc.  We have Lial's Intermediate  Algebra to use as a gap-filler after that before moving on to a more challenging Precalculus program. 

That's why I purchased the Larson text. I wanted to see if he would like the layout of the text. I was really hoping to not spend 300.00 or so on the DVD's but I could do it if I sell all the other math curriculum I have sitting on the shelves. :001_smile:

Can you get the Dana Mosley lectures inexpensively? Cengage puts them out or did. I found them for statistics for around $10 and I found college algebra and trig lectures at our used bookstore. ETA: Did some searching and found this: http://www.cengagebrain.com/shop/ISBN/9780618818969?cid=GSEM1&gclid=CNW0_bfj_LgCFfBcMgodKxIAPQ

Also, have you considered Derek Owens? My dd used DO Physics last year and loved it. I have heard great things about his math classes and he offers up through AP Calc AB.

I am in serious need of math help for my 10th grade DS.  He is a STEM kid and loves chemistry and physics.  I am very unsure as to what to do for Algebra 2 as I want his math foundation to be solid.  Here is what we have done for math up to this point:

Over the summer we worked through the first 5 chapters of AoPS Intro to Algebra.  He did ok but found himself frustrated with some of the more difficult problems.  He does not enjoy sitting for 45 minutes trying to figure out one problem.  So this was not a fit.  ... I also noticed it is really lacking in word problems (an area my ds has trouble with). 

He likes math and says it is his favorite subject.  He also enjoys doing review of concepts he has already learned (although if a text is mastery, I can provide the review).  I want him to be challenged but I also want him to continue to like math.  Any advice for a math paralyzed mom?

Thanks

I don't think that AoPS is the end all and be all of math programs.  But I wonder if it would be ok for him to be frustrated for a little bit.  Sometimes, that is the emotion that comes when you increase ability through challenge.

I don't have a STEM professional background (except for running the steam plant on a Navy ship - a very practical application) but I did take a core of math, engineering and science classes in college.  Frustration and needing to persevere through a problem set or even just one problem was a common state of affairs. 

Like I said, AoPS isn't the only route to a strong math background.  But I wouldn't rule it out, just because it required hard work.  And if it was an occasional frustration with some of the difficult problems, that might be worth just working through.  Does he realize, for example, that he can look back at the lesson or earlier parts of the book to help figure out what to do?  (I ask, because my kids were treating problem sets like tests, without referring back to the lessons.)  Does he draw a picture and label what he knows and what he's looking for (as if it were a physics problem)?  This can help reveal relationships between parts.  Does he have to sit down at a table while working math?  I worked through many of the chapters in the Intro book.  Sometimes I found that I had to go out to the garage so I could walk around, talk and physically move through the problems.  I'd love to have a space with a giant chalk board for math and physics.

How did he do with the word problems in Saxon 8/7? I know you mentioned he hated it, but if he was able to do them, you might want to consider just using Algebra I temporarily to help him learn how to translate the word problems into equations. Once he can do that, then he should find problem solving a bit easier. Obviously if word problems were difficult with 8/7, then he needs a different approach.

He is able to translate a basic word problem into an equation and did fine with that in 8/7.  He has difficulty with more complex problems.  That's where I think we need to focus.  I am thinking of spending extra time the next few weeks in the afternoon just doing word problems.  

Regards,

Kareni

This is my current plan.  Double or triple assignments daily for TT Alg. 2 until it gets challenging, which I don't expect to happen for a long time since we used Lial's for Alg. 1, then move on to TT Precalc.  We have Lial's Intermediate  Algebra to use as a gap-filler after that before moving on to a more challenging Precalculus program. 

This is a very interesting idea that I had never thought to do.  Maybe we could do a session in the morning and one after lunch once it becomes more difficult for him.  I still need to find time to work on word problems with him and I do have the Lial text on the shelf.

Thanks!

Can you get the Dana Mosley lectures inexpensively? Cengage puts them out or did. I found them for statistics for around $10 and I found college algebra and trig lectures at our used bookstore. ETA: Did some searching and found this: http://www.cengagebrain.com/shop/ISBN/9780618818969?cid=GSEM1&gclid=CNW0_bfj_LgCFfBcMgodKxIAPQ

Also, have you considered Derek Owens? My dd used DO Physics last year and loved it. I have heard great things about his math classes and he offers up through AP Calc AB.

Thanks for the link.  I don't know anything about the Derek Owens classes.  Are they live or is it something you can do on your own time?  Does he provide feedback and help?

This is a very interesting idea that I had never thought to do. Maybe we could do a session in the morning and one after lunch once it becomes more difficult for him. I still need to find time to work on word problems with him and I do have the Lial text on the shelf.

Thanks!

I would recommend the Foerster's text. You can't beat his word problems. Students have to understand the process to work through the problems which is invaluable for someone wanting to be a STEM major. Fwiw, though, I wouldn't get the MWB videos. The textbook explains things just as well.

Anyone have any suggestions on which program would be a good fit to do this?  Dd will stick with TT through precalc, but I did want to follow up with another year of something else as suggested here ... but what?

Thanks!

Thanks for the link. I don't know anything about the Derek Owens classes. Are they live or is it something you can do on your own time? Does he provide feedback and help?

It is go at your own pace on your own time. Derek provides feedback and help via email. I think Derek might have a policy where you can try the class for a week or so to see how it goes but I am not completely sure. You would have to contact Derek.

I would recommend the Foerster's text. You can't beat his word problems. Students have to understand the process to work through the problems which is invaluable for someone wanting to be a STEM major. Fwiw, though, I wouldn't get the MWB videos. The textbook explains things just as well.

Thanks 8Fill!  I actual started this with him yesterday.  He is doing it alongside the TT right now.  I am trying to find the right fit for him.  My dh really liked the word problems.  Two lessons in and he likes it.  So we shall see......

Anyone have any suggestions on which program would be a good fit to do this?  Dd will stick with TT through precalc, but I did want to follow up with another year of something else as suggested here ... but what?

Thanks!

I know several people who moved to Thinkwell precalc after TT.