Menu

What exactly does a spelling notebook look like?

Shelsi

Probably a silly question but is a spelling notebook just a place where a student writes their lists of words? I hear curriculums and people talk about keeping a spelling notebook and I always wonder if there's more to it or what?

FTR, I use LOE with my 4th grader for spelling & I'm wondering if we should be doing something we're not.

We use all about spelling and a couple years ago, the kids asked if they could keep a spelling notebook instead of writing the words on the whiteboard and erasing them. Their notebook is just a basic black and white composition book. They write their spelling words and their spelling dictation sentences in there. Same notebook going into year three.

The Writing Road to Reading. I am sure there may be others that use a spelling notebook as well. 

Yeah, that's the kind we're doing.

Spelling rules go in the front, and a list of words from the Ayres list start at the lacing halfway through the book.  Two columns of words to a page, with spelling rules and syllables marked.

I doing LOE, and I'm filling in a few of the things they suggest putting in a spelling notebook in to a regular notebook, and sometimes i make ds read over it, esp before 'tests'.  He hates writing, which is why I write it, but it has things like all the spelling rules (we dont have the cards), and some charts of things - like all the words that use a particular phonogram, or examples of different words which use different phonograms for the same sound, that sort of thing.  all the stuff that needs to be memorized, basically, all in one place.  

Yes, in Spalding and related programs, a spelling notebook is just a 50-page composition book. Students write (and mark-up) their spelling words in it. Plus, some pages (8**, in case of Spalding) are for documenting words (from the regular spelling lists) that fit the spelling rules.

I think in Orton-Gillingham and related programs, spelling notebooks are based on rules. So, the student writes a specific phonogram (or rule) at the top of the page and then writes words that use that phonogram (or fit that rule) below. When they are done with one phonogram (or rule), they move on to the next page. There are no other lists of spelling words written elsewhere. Words are written directly in the rule pages. At least, that is how it's done in How To Teach Spelling.

** In Spalding, rule pages 1-6 provide massed practice of the first 16 spelling rules. Page 7 is a list of the multi-letter phonograms; page 8 is a list of the additional phonograms.