Menu

Anyone else go to National Night Out tonight?

Jean in Newcastle

We go every year at our local park.  My kids were so excited tonight that they figured out our picnic menu, got everything together (I paid for supplies) and carted everything down and back.  It was fun to talk to neighbors - some old friends and some not.  And politicians!  All our local politicians were out in force.  And our police officers.  And our local animal control officer.  We got to talk to them about local concerns and ask questions and just generally get to know them.  We took Libby the disabled wonder dog and she was almost as big an attraction as the police cars and fire truck!  

We had another engagement and couldn't make it but we love to go. Our police dept does a cook out and usually the fire dept will have the fire safety house and the swat team are out there. I don't meet a lot of our neighbors as it is a big city but it is still fun for the kids.

We had a great event at a church in the neighborhood.  Lots of police officers, a member of the canine unit, mounted patrol etc.  Only 2 politicians =)  A local business donated pizza and chips and pop and various neighbors volunteered to run games for the kids and do face painting.  This is the first year we have made it and I am so happy we did.  Fantastic event!

Now my dd tells me that she thought some guys were using the cover of everyone being at National Night Out to try and break into our house!  Fortunately dh and the kids had gone back to the house right at that moment and saw these guys in our neighborhood.  They said they were looking for landscaping work but they weren't in a landscaping pickup or anything so dh was suspicious.  Now I'm curious to see if there were any break-ins along our neighborhood.  If there were, I'm going to have dh give a description to the police.