Menu

Explode the Code--do we need spelling program too?

Nancy in NH

My ds (9) is a struggling reader due to vision problems. We will spend this year reinforcing phonics and doing read-alouds (he will probably have vision therapy also, which will add to his workload). I was considering Explode the Code Online and, in going through the demos, I'm wondering if I should supplement with a spelling program. Ds used Spellwell the past two years, memorized all the words, but it didn't stick. I've been told his vision problems most likely are to blame for this, too. I want to focus on his reading and not overwhelm him with to much busywork. Is it possible that ETC will be enough for now? Is it too much to try to remediate reading and spelling at the same time? Is there something out there I don't know about that might combine the reading and spelling?

I appreciate your help.

Nancy in NH

I want to focus on his reading and not overwhelm him with to much busywork. Is it possible that ETC will be enough for now? Is it too much to try to remediate reading and spelling at the same time? Is there something out there I don't know about that might combine the reading and spelling?

Sounds like he really does have his plate quite full.

IMHO, focus on the reading, phonics, and vision therapy. Save the spelling work for next year or the year after. With my two I started serious spelling work in 4th grade and both were reading fine, if they hadn't I would have put the spelling off. To me a key part of spelling is being able to also look at a word you have written and be able to tell whether or not "it looks right". If you aren't a reader how can you do this step?

I would also look into Reading Reflex, initially written for kids with reading problems. Used it and loved it.

My ds (9) is a struggling reader due to vision problems. We will spend this year reinforcing phonics and doing read-alouds (he will probably have vision therapy also, which will add to his workload). I was considering Explode the Code Online and, in going through the demos, I'm wondering if I should supplement with a spelling program. Ds used Spellwell the past two years, memorized all the words, but it didn't stick. I've been told his vision problems most likely are to blame for this, too. I want to focus on his reading and not overwhelm him with to much busywork. Is it possible that ETC will be enough for now? Is it too much to try to remediate reading and spelling at the same time? Is there something out there I don't know about that might combine the reading and spelling?

I appreciate your help.

Nancy in NH

I have used ETC and Spelling Workout with each of my kids. And, imo, ETC by itself is not enough for spelling. That said, if you are trying to remediate the phonics beause of his vision problems, I can't see how it would hurt to take a few months or even a year and focus solely on the phonics. With the therapy you don't want to overload him. You need to reinforce the basics of the phonics and maybe then the spelling will come more naturally. If you wanted to do some spelling, and he likes the computer, you could look into the Calvert Spelling program -- it is a cd-rom that does the spelling that way. We used it for a while when we did Calvert. That would be a way to approach it differently. Or, sneak some spelling in via the vocab while you read aloud -- pick words to practice spelling, but do it orally instead of written out.

Sorry if that was not too helpful! Good luck!

IMHO, focus on the reading, phonics, and vision therapy. Save the spelling work for next year or the year after. With my two I started serious spelling work in 4th grade and both were reading fine, if they hadn't I would have put the spelling off. To me a key part of spelling is being able to also look at a word you have written and be able to tell whether or not "it looks right". If you aren't a reader how can you do this step?

:iagree:

teaches dc to read by teaching them to spell. You wouldn't need anything else for English skills, as it also teaches capitalization and punctuation, penmanship, and basic composition. It *can* be grammar and more complex writing, but that's your choice.

Check it out here.

We didn't begin a separate spelling program until my daughter was finished with ETC 8.

:iagree: This was us as well.

Ds7 has turned out to be an excellent speller and it is in large part because of the strong start he got with ETC. The only thing I don't know is if it will "stick" as well without the writing component since you are doing it online. I know that was a huge part of my ds's success is that he had that writing reinforcement. Still, I agree with the others who say spend some time focusing on phonics and hold off formal spelling a little longer.

I guess I wanted the permission to drop spelling for awhile. Since he's been prescribed glasses, his reading is improving, but there is some remediation needed. He's just been so frustrated, wanting to be successful at reading, yet avoiding it. I've been working with him over the summer in short sessions, trying to boost his confidence, and praising his efforts. That has helped his attitude somewhat and I don't want to deflate that now! I really appreciate your input and suggestions. Thanks so much!

Nancy in NH