Menu

Corn anyone? Lotsa corn...

I didn't do 71 bags in one day--it has been over about 3 days, spread out. :)

I blanch it, then cut it off the cobs, then bag it. It is pretty easy, but I did give myself a blister one day. That was the long day--about 13 hours with few breaks doing corn. Dh had to cut the last several ears because my hand was so tired and cramping up my arm! ouch.

It'll taste great this winter though :001_smile:

Remudamom, can you sneak a little in? ;)

If I have counted correctly, I've frozen 71 bags of corn so far. :blink:

Thatsa lota corn. ha. :D

Anybody else doing corn?

That IS a lot of corn! I wish we had some - we didn't grow any, and it's so expensive here. I did can about 25 quarts of peaches (plus 9 quarts in freezer bags, too) and 10 quarts of bread and butter pickles in the last few days. My hands are sore, too, from all the peeling. I love doing it, though.

:001_smile:

That IS a lot of corn! I wish we had some - we didn't grow any, and it's so expensive here. I did can about 25 quarts of peaches (plus 9 quarts in freezer bags, too) and 10 quarts of bread and butter pickles in the last few days. My hands are sore, too, from all the peeling. I love doing it, though.

:001_smile:

You canned peaches!! That is so neat. I want to learn to can fruit, other than making it into jams and perserves. Oh--you'll love those peaches this winter. What will you do with them when you open them? Did you can them in a syrup?

You canned peaches!! That is so neat. I want to learn to can fruit, other than making it into jams and perserves. Oh--you'll love those peaches this winter. What will you do with them when you open them? Did you can them in a syrup?

I canned them in a light syrup. It was very easy - the hardest part was just peeling them all, and that was only because there were so many. We will eat them straight from the jar - I use the frozen ones for cobblers and such. A helpful website for canning is http://www.pickyourown.org

:)

I canned them in a light syrup. It was very easy - the hardest part was just peeling them all, and that was only because there were so many. We will eat them straight from the jar - I use the frozen ones for cobblers and such. A helpful website for canning is http://www.pickyourown.org

:)

Thank you! I froze several bags of peaches and made preserves, but I didn't can any peaches. I'd like to try this next year.

I didn't do 71 bags in one day--it has been over about 3 days, spread out. :)

I blanch it, then cut it off the cobs, then bag it. It is pretty easy, but I did give myself a blister one day. That was the long day--about 13 hours with few breaks doing corn. Dh had to cut the last several ears because my hand was so tired and cramping up my arm! ouch.

It'll taste great this winter though :001_smile:

Remudamom, can you sneak a little in? ;)

I'm so impressed!! How long have you been gardening? I remember your list at the beginning of the season.

I started gardening this year. The beans were eaten by rabbits. Need to work on that next year. The lettuce has been wonderful! We're eating it every night - have been for about a month. And, we love the cilantro! I'd like to work on getting the beans to actually grow next year and I'm planning on doing tomatoes too (if I can figure out how to keep the rabbits out!).

We have tons of rabbits here, and tomatoes are about the only thing I've grown for years. The rabbits have never bothered my tomatoes. They also haven't bothered my herbs: chives, oregano, sage and thyme. Peas and beans they DO eat! We planted those again this year, with a 2 foot chicken wire fence around the garden to keep them out!