Menu

Does Art of Argument still mention prostitution and abortion?

:huh:  I had no idea this was an issue! I have a copy downstairs that I plan to use for 7th grade. If no one has answered by the time I can dig it out, I'll look through it and see what I can find. 

Thanks, I would really appreciate that!

I want to buy this and stop looking. :) It looks perfect for us.

2010 edition

Page 37

"You can't accept her argument against abortion - she is Catholic and the Catholic Church opposes abortion."

"You can't accept his argument favoring legalized abortion - he is a member of the A C L U which supports..."

I don't know about the other.

Arrgh. Yes my 2010 version has the same text on page 37.  We did this book 2 years ago, and clearly I had forgotten.  This particular page is easy to skip.

Apparently, the previous version to this "new and expanded" version had stuff on Monica Lewinsky and some other outdated and politically incendiary topics.  Those have been removed.  We are definitely secular homeschoolers and we had no trouble using the book.  It is excellent.

Ruth in NZ

Mine is 2010, which I bought less than a year ago *new* and does have that in it.  So beware that some places might still have old stock.  It's definitely, definitely in mine.

Do you know if there's stuff in there about prostitution or any other similar topics? 

Thanks ladies! 

I could deal with the abortion part by skipping it or seeing that it's not coming off in a way that bothers me. I mean, I have two daughters and it's an important subject (though it's something I'm sure would upset them to talk about)... I just don't want to buy it if that's the tip of the iceberg iykwim.

This is the best that I can do with my searching.  Here is a review of the previous version.  The topics listed in post 4 have been removed from the 2010 version:

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/99158-lfc-art-of-argument-whos-used-it/

Oh, well, for pete's sake! I'm going to dig the thing out now and see what I see. I bought mine used, so I fear it might be one of the older editions. How did I miss all of that in my research?!

I just ordered the TM on Amazon. At least I'll know for sure what I think of it.

Sigh...   :/

I hate to say it, but I don't think you're going to get a good sense from the TM. I think you need to look carefully through the student guide. The TM is basically just an very slim answer key for the written exercises in the student guide. The SG is much meatier and contains most of the instruction, discussion, arguments, and examples of the fallacies. For example, the exercise that references Catholics and abortion on page 37 of the SB isn't referenced in the TM. The discussion of the origin of Roe v. Wade on page 67 isn't referenced in the TM either. 

I seem to have an older version, but both of those references are still in the newer version of the SG available currently on Amazon (copyright 2010). I did see that one or two references in my book that presume Christianity ("we Christians") appear to be gone from the one currently on Amazon (can't guarantee though). The Willie Horton/Dukakis reference is still in the current version, as is a paragraph about a young Dr. Larson giving money to the March of Dimes before discovering that the MoD advocates abortion as a solution to birth defects (an example of emotional response driving action before one can use reason to determine action). A reference to prostitution came up in the Amazon search, but I couldn't see the larger context of that particular one due to the search limitations. The reference to impeaching Clinton is still there, but Monica Lewinsky doesn't come up in the search. To be fair, the book also references Bush's credibility after no WMDs were found in Iraq. 

I think I'd still be comfortable using the newer version of the book for 7th grade. I'm annoyed that I didn't look closer at this before I bought it, but I still think the benefits of the format and the rest of the instruction outweigh the drawbacks. I'll have to see how I feel when we get closer. I'm glad I saw this thread so I can be prepared!

I hate to say it, but I don't think you're going to get a good sense from the TM. I think you need to look carefully through the student guide. The TM is basically just an very slim answer key for the written exercises in the student guide. The SG is much meatier and contains most of the instruction, discussion, arguments, and examples of the fallacies. For example, the exercise that references Catholics and abortion on page 37 of the SB isn't referenced in the TM. The discussion of the origin of Roe v. Wade on page 67 isn't referenced in the TM either. 

I seem to have an older version, but both of those references are still in the newer version of the SG available currently on Amazon (copyright 2010). I did see that one or two references in my book that presume Christianity ("we Christians") appear to be gone from the one currently on Amazon (can't guarantee though). The Willie Horton/Dukakis reference is still in the current version, as is a paragraph about a young Dr. Larson giving money to the March of Dimes before discovering that the MoD advocates abortion as a solution to birth defects (an example of emotional response driving action before one can use reason to determine action). A reference to prostitution came up in the Amazon search, but I couldn't see the larger context of that particular one due to the search limitations. The reference to impeaching Clinton is still there, but Monica Lewinsky doesn't come up in the search. To be fair, the book also references Bush's credibility after no WMDs were found in Iraq. 

I think I'd still be comfortable using the newer version of the book for 7th grade. I'm annoyed that I didn't look closer at this before I bought it, but I still think the benefits of the format and the rest of the instruction outweigh the drawbacks. I'll have to see how I feel when we get closer. I'm glad I saw this thread so I can be prepared!

Thank you for letting me know about the TM!!! I just cancelled it and ordered the student book. 

I'll return it if it's too much for us. 

Thank you for letting me know about the TM!!! I just cancelled it and ordered the student book. 

I'll return it if it's too much for us. 

Glad I could help out :D Thank you for posting your question! I would have been awfully surprised a year from now when I started to plan our logic study for my eldest  :lol:

I seem to have an older version, but both of those references are still in the newer version of the SG available currently on Amazon (copyright 2010).

Your information is not accurate regarding the 2010 edition. The TM is identical to the student book - same size, same page layout, etc., except it has the answers typed in.

Your information is not accurate regarding the 2010 edition. The TM is identical to the student book - same size, same page layout, etc., except it has the answers typed in.

Yup.  I ended up selling my student copy and just using the TM as a read aloud together so I could edit some things and because it was redundant.  http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/477827-secular-logic-similar-to-aoa/

I received the TM in the mail today. I'm going through and highlighting the pages that mention prostitution and abortion (and who knows what else.) I'll have to decide what is okay, what I want to write a different example of, and what I want to skip. So far they're small bits. Nothing crazy.

Abortion page 37

Prostitution page 87

Thanks for everyones help in figuring it out. :)