Menu

Maybe it's just end-of-the-week syndrome, but...

strange_girl

I am so tired of listening to my 16-month-old constantly whine, whine, whine :crying: 

I have done this twice before...you'd think I'd be used to it. This child (#3) just seems to be more sensitive than the last two were. And if I'm not holding him, he's fussing.

Don't take this wrong; I love having little kids. They are my joy and they fill my day with laughter. This particular child is very sweet, charming, and funny. He's also unbelieveably clingy right now.

Please, moms everywhere, tell me this child is going to grow out of this stage! :lol:

If your babies went through this, how did you handle it? I don't want to hold him constantly. Oh, my aching back! He's 34" tall and weighs almost 30 pounds. But he may be too young to have much independence. He's not interested in toys. If I'm not holding him, he's fussing.

He doesn't want to play with my pots/pans/baking stuff, etc. If I'm not holding him, he's fussing.

Okay, are we sensing a theme here? :scared:  Is there a way to help him understand that there is life outside of Mommy's arms?

oh gosh, that's hard. My .02 is that as long as there is nothing physically wrong with him, you may have to allow him to fuss. If his fussing means that mommy will pick him up or otherwise give him attention, then that's what he'll do. Not easy, I know. But I would try to break him of it now. Said in love:)

oh gosh, that's hard. My .02 is that as long as there is nothing physically wrong with him, you may have to allow him to fuss. If his fussing means that mommy will pick him up or otherwise give him attention, then that's what he'll do. Not easy, I know. But I would try to break him of it now. Said in love:)

I'm afraid you are so right. :iagree:  I tend to be very busy (you know, mom syndrome), and that's his way of getting to me. The problem is, he's much more dedicated to whining than I am to ignoring it! :laugh:

Is he happy if the other two play with him a bit with his toys?  

No. They tend to bug him :sneaky2:  You know, like sitting on him, lugging him around, pulling his nose :ohmy:  If they do play nicely (which they do sometimes), he just wanders away. Back to my leg, lol.

Please, pretty, pretty, please take a break and go love on that baby for me. Silly snuggles. Shaving cream in the tub. A garden hose. A book. Rocking. The whole nine yards.

I miss my babies. They're Tweens. Theyre hysterical and smart and smelly and amazing, but when they snuggle my legs hurt. They have opinions and BO. They are helpful and are starting to have ideas and initiative, but they don't cling. They don't nuzzle. They can bake a nearly perfect chocolate chip cookie, though.

But pretty please, for a without littles, spoil that baby for me! :-)

I have an Ergo. I can wear him on the front but I can't put him on my back by myself. Maybe I should practice a bit more.

If you practice you should be able to get him on your back quite easily. I always put dd2 on by myself and just started wearing my 8.5 month old sometimes on my back as well.

I hear you on clingy babies, my number 4 is that way as well. I try to hold her when I can but when my back gives out or I need to put her down then it is what it is. I try to have the kids entertain her at times, sometimes it works and sometimes not.

Yeah, you can do it if you practice.  I always practice standing on my bed so if I drop the child, no biggie, nice soft mattress.  I do the thing where I wiggle them from my hip to the back and put them in the carrier. Or I did when they were small enough to still be worn like that.  They grow so fast!   :crying:

Here is the wiggle way: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPPZ2uWbnxg

Or with a 16 month old, you can sometimes have them do this since they can hold on: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2JdRQWsxZo

And as he gets older, then you can havehim grab on to you piggy back style (start with him on the floor and you crouching down or with him standing on a bed or chair) and then lean forward and bring the ergo up around the child and put your arms through.