Menu

What did you do after you finished SWR?

Tons of writing! Every paper had to be edited for spelling. We also used Analytical Grammar but I'm not sure how much that may have helped. On Wanda Sanseri's recommendation, we started using Jensen's Vocabulary but it was too mind-numbing... SWR was enough mind-numbing as it was, we decided to move on and let it be.

I'm returning to SWR to finish up the final lists with my dd this year after taking a break from it with Megawords last year. Once we finish the lists, we're done with spelling. Even my son, who really struggled with spelling, finished formal spelling lessons in 6th grade.

I'm returning to SWR to finish up the final lists with my dd this year after taking a break from it with Megawords last year. Once we finish the lists, we're done with spelling. Even my son, who really struggled with spelling, finished formal spelling lessons in 6th grade. I was worried about it at the time, but it is working out fine so far.

If your kid is getting all (or nearly all) of the words on the 50 question Diagnostic Tests correct, you are DONE with spelling. Simply have them use a dictionary to correct spelling in their writing papers. You can move onto a Vocab program if you like.

If your child is testing into list P or Q or U or whatever, you can certainly use SWR another year, starting with that list & moving through the ending lists one more time. 

:drool5:  I only wish I had this problem!  :coolgleamA:

I'm returning to SWR to finish up the final lists with my dd this year after taking a break from it with Megawords last year. Once we finish the lists, we're done with spelling. Even my son, who really struggled with spelling, finished formal spelling lessons in 6th grade. I was worried about it at the time, but it is working out fine so far.

I will now have to go check out megawords :)

If your kid is getting all (or nearly all) of the words on the 50 question Diagnostic Tests correct, you are DONE with spelling. Simply have them use a dictionary to correct spelling in their writing papers. You can move onto a Vocab program if you like.

If your child is testing into list P or Q or U or whatever, you can certainly use SWR another year, starting with that list & moving through the ending lists one more time. 

:drool5:  I only wish I had this problem!  :coolgleamA:

I'm so glad you spoke about them using a dictionary to correct because they surely would not want me to do it at that level ;)

Do you have a particular vocab program that you have liked or looks good to you? We have been using wordlywise 3000.

I will now have to go check out megawords :)

Don't do it! :). Honestly, I switched over to Megawords part way through 4 th grade with my dd thinking it would be less labor intensive for us both. I don't think it's nearly as good as SWR, and the reason I'm switching back is because we still have 5 Megawords workbooks we'd need to complete to finish the program, which means we'll be doing spelling into 8th grade. My dd is a strong speller and I don't want to do spelling for that long.

Now, if you just need a break from SWR or want spelling to continue for that long, then it's worth looking at. After doing the first 3 Megawords books, my dd now places into SWR list V. If we hadn't taken a Megawords break, she would have finished SWR last year.

Don't do it! :). Honestly, I switched over to Megawords part way through 4 th grade with my dd thinking it would be less labor intensive for us both. I don't think it's nearly as good as SWR, and the reason I'm switching back is because we still have 5 Megawords workbooks we'd need to complete to finish the program, which means we'll be doing spelling into 8th grade. My dd is a strong speller and I don't want to do spelling for that long.

Now, if you just need a break from SWR or want spelling to continue for that long, then it's worth looking at. After doing the first 3 Megawords books, my dd now places into SWR list V. If we hadn't taken a Megawords break, she would have finished SWR last year.

Amen, sistah!!  :iagree:  I tried out Megawords with my oldest last year because I thought SWR was too time intensive for me, because I'd been eyeing Megawords for a long time as a great 'next step', and because it supposedly did such a good job with syllabification. Epic fail for us. Megawords was still time intensive for me. If starting from the first book like I'd seen recommended just about everywhere, it takes quite awhile (multiple books) to get to the 'next step.' Nothing was translating to dd's real world spelling skills.

I don't have a particular vocab program. We're still in spelling phase.  :laugh:  I probably won't end up doing a specific vocab program with mine because 1) we'll be stuck on spelling forever and 2) I think the Latin that I make them take adds enough vocab. I've eyed Vocabulary Vine and Rummy Roots for a long time, but I don't have enough time in the day or motivated kiddos to fit those in. And, in the end, they might end up being as much of an epic fail as Megawords was for us. 

We finish SWR around the middle of 5th grade and move on to Vocabulary from Classical Roots books 4, 5, and 6. My son did about one vocab lesson a week. Since there are only 16 lessons per book, he finished them by the end of 6th grade. We'll be trying Book A this year.