Menu

Singapore Math PM & NEM Users - when do your kids start using calculators?

Oldest is getting ready to start Primary Mathematics 6 Standards Ed. this year.  Just quickly flipped through the book.  Haven't studied it yet.  Did your kiddos use a calculator for any of this yet?  Or not yet?  We're planning on going w/ NEM for next year.  When do they use a calculator and for what?  Thinking ahead and wondering.

My boys did not use the calculator for SM 6 standard edition. They are now using AoPS prealgebra and did not need to use the calculator either.

I'll let my boys use a calculator for trigonometry functions because I don't think trigonometry tables will be supplied in exams. They do know how to use a scientific calculator, I just don't allow the use for school work.

I got DD one before the EXPLORE last year-she'd gone through SM 5B without using it, and hadn't used it for the parts of SM 6 CWP we'd done, either. She came out of the test saying that she forgot she had it and didn't use it (and based on the scores, didn't need it).