Menu

Isn't it better to admit I was wrong? I don't think I can keep the dog!

Uggyface

I am upset with myself...sometimes I bite off more than I can chew.  We recently adopted a Doberman Pinscher.  When we first started to look, we were looking for a small female, we ended up with a 71# male!  He is so much more than I can handle! My husband travels a lot so I am the one who cares for the dog. Aside from needing obiedience school, he keeps jumping into our Koi fish pond and tries to grab them.  The dog is a sweet heart but he's deaf, so I have very limited ways to communicate with him. The trainer hasn't called me yet and I am getting frustrated! 

Isn't it better to admit I was wrong and give him back to the rescue or will I be a horrible person for doing that?!  I don't want to be that kind of person, but I am so overwhelmed.

:grouphug:

You are NOT a horrible person.  You deserve a dog that will be a good fit for your family.  The dog you have deserves to find a home where he will be a good fit.  Admitting it's not working for either of you and finding him a good place is the responsible thing to do.  

Yes, returning the dog is better than a lot of other options.

What were your original plans for taking care of and training the dog? Can you put the dog on a tie-out to keep him out of the pond? Have you done any training with him on your own yet?  

I think it's perfectly fine to take him back to the shelter. Around here, people just dump their unwanted dogs off and dog lovers like me take on the responsibility of trying to find them a good home. If that doesn't happen, I have to pay to take it to the shelter myself. Aaargh! We've seen so many sweet dogs around here, even kept one ourselves, but we usually have 2 dogs at a time (even had three once) and that is my husband's limit!

Take it back and apologise profusely for over-estimating your abilities. Next time choose the dog you are looking for not something completely different.

This is not bad. Bad would be letting it get out of control and attack someone or chaining it up and ignoring it. Both these options are probably something the shelter has dealt with.

Thank you for your words of support!  We did overestimate our abilities to care for such a large animal with special needs.  Its really hard because he is such a sweet dog. He has displayed some aggression, I know that comes with the doberman breed, but this is with a kid that has been at our house since we got him.  I know they can find a better home for him!