Menu

Need a new Bible curriculum

Berta

My daughter is a rising 3rd grader although we have already started our year. We have been using Christian Light Education Bible and it has always been her favorite subject. I bought it again for 3rd grade and she all of a sudden does not want to do it. She says the stories are boring. She reads very well and does not want me reading any of it to her.

Can someone recommend a different Bible curriculum that might be a little more interesting?

We are using the Foundations series by Anne Elliott. I got it through Currclick. She has a website as well: http://homeschoolingbible.com/

The only thing I don't love about it is the memory work. I find the verses she picked extremely long and too much of a mouthful for my kids, at this age. I simply replaced them with verses that work better for us right now.

We are using the Discover 4 Yourself Bible study series. This is the first series I have found that actually looks and feels like a true Bible study and not just a Sunday school at home. Some of the books are scheduled for 6 weeks others 9. Some we take longer then 6 weeks because dd is still young. I like how they have the Bible Chapters being studied in the back of the book and they teach how to break a verse apart and see what is being said. Also they teach how to mark up your Bible to help see ( since the Bible Chapters are in the book, they do not mark their actual Bible up). The studies from actual Bible books are easier to start with then the Character studies. Dd (8yrs) is enjoying it. We started where we worked together but she wanted to do it all on her own.

We are using the Discover 4 Yourself Bible study series. This is the first series I have found that actually looks and feels like a true Bible study and not just a Sunday school at home. Some of the books are scheduled for 6 weeks others 9. Some we take longer then 6 weeks because dd is still young. I like how they have the Bible Chapters being studied in the back of the book and they teach how to break a verse apart and see what is being said. Also they teach how to mark up your Bible to help see ( since the Bible Chapters are in the book, they do not mark their actual Bible up). The studies from actual Bible books are easier to start with then the Character studies. Dd (8yrs) is enjoying it. We started where we worked together but she wanted to do it all on her own.

This sounds good!  Now I need to go look.  It almost sounds like something that could be done with BSFAA because it does sound so different.

The studies from actual Bible books are easier to start with then the Character studies. Dd (8yrs) is enjoying it. We started where we worked together but she wanted to do it all on her own.

Is there an order you would recommend, then?  What would be a good one to start with?

Thanks,

Kathy

Thinkingkids.wordpress.com is writing a free 3 year bible curriculum that also includes notebooking pages. She has the first year done and has started posting the second. I haven't done it with my boys yet, but it looks good, especially for free.

Is there an order you would recommend, then?  What would be a good one to start with?

Thanks,

Kathy

There is no real order except within a Bible book like Genesis, there are 3 books for that, and Daniel, there are 2 books for that one. I would pick a book that covers a Bible book that might interest your child (Daniel is real good). Most children know Genesis and might get bored with spending 6 weeks on just creation (it was extremely good though and I can guarantee my dd understands chapters 1 and 2 of Genesis plus how old the earth is using Biblical proof) so that might not be one to start with. I found the one on John good because it gets your child familiar with who Jesus is. We are flip flopping back and forth between one study on an Old Testament book and then on a New Testament book.

Each book will reference back to the How to Study Your Bible for Kids study book but will also show you what is needed to mark your Bible or study a verse so I did not start with this book. Also after looking through it I felt it was just  too much for a young child. They get small portions of it within the other books as they need it

We aren't doing a real curriculum but will be using the "Gods Names" book by Sally Michael. I have heard high thoughts on it.

I'm not sure what to recommend instead of this, but we did not enjoy using God's Names. We felt the writing style was choppy, and that the author was stretching to come up with things to say about each name. Also, by way of "review," the author weaves in the names of God that have already been discussed. We all found this to be more confusing than helpful.

Some possibilities:

Picture Smart Bible

Explorer's Bible Study

Precept Ministries Bible Studies

HTH.

• 2 weeks later...

There is no real order except within a Bible book like Genesis, there are 3 books for that, and Daniel, there are 2 books for that one. I would pick a book that covers a Bible book that might interest your child (Daniel is real good). Most children know Genesis and might get bored with spending 6 weeks on just creation (it was extremely good though and I can guarantee my dd understands chapters 1 and 2 of Genesis plus how old the earth is using Biblical proof) so that might not be one to start with. I found the one on John good because it gets your child familiar with who Jesus is. We are flip flopping back and forth between one study on an Old Testament book and then on a New Testament book.

Each book will reference back to the How to Study Your Bible for Kids study book but will also show you what is needed to mark your Bible or study a verse so I did not start with this book. Also after looking through it I felt it was just  too much for a young child. They get small portions of it within the other books as they need it

Thank you!  This info. is very helpful!

Kathy

• 2 weeks later...