Menu

17yo dd woke up with her face and eyes swollen... help?

My dd woke up this morning and her face and eyes were pretty swollen.  She wasn't feeling that well last night and said she was just very tired and her throat and head hurt pretty bad, so I gave her Niquil.  Could it be an allergic reaction be from the Nyquil?  The swelling has not gone down at all today either.  I did give her a antihistamine but that hasn't helped at all.  Any clue what this could be?  I am going to take her to the doctor if she wakes up like this tomorrow. :(

Thanks!

This would worry me a lot. With an already sore throat it would be hard to tell if her throat is swelling as well. I would see a doctor.  :grouphug: The anti histamine may not have changed things but may have helped it not get worse.

My first thought was something she ate, but then you said about her sore throat and the Niquil. It could be a reaction to that. Can you call your after hours nurse if you have one and see what they say? I am sorry I can be of no real help.

I had that once at her age. I put it down to drinking whisky. It never happened again and I never drank whisky again. Not very conclusive but it could have been the Nyquil (we can't get it here so I don't know what is in it - it always sounded good though which is why we are not allowed it). Not much help but sympathies it was horrible but it eased off after 3 days or so.

It sounds like an allergic reaction.  All of my brothers react like that to poison ivy, they don't even have to touch it!  My oldest reacts to sunscreen that's over 15spf like that as well.  We never did figure out what the culprate was (in the sunscreen), we just stopped using high spf....