Menu

Computer programming for kids without an emphasis on games

Kendall

I'm pretty sure this doesn't exist, but are there lessons on computer programming accessible to a bright nine year old who reads well?  I would like something that doesn't emphasize making computer games.  I would like something that doesn't have projects that are arcade type video game oriented, or at least most of the assignments aren't that way.  

Thanks,

Kendall

Check here:

http://www.homeschoolprogramming.com/kidcoder/kidcoder_vb_series.php

My son is currently using Java and so far that is all he has tried, but so far he is really loving it.  I believe Homeschool Buyer's Co-op is still running a special on some of these too.

Hi Wendy!  I was planning on using KidCoder for Windows programming with my girls next year.  But seeing your post, it sounds like we could just go directly to Java with middle schoolers and not have a problem?   And do you have plans for where you will head after your son completes the Java?  Thanks for your thoughts! 

He wants to do the android programming after.  He does have some programming experience, but not a ton. 

I know nothing about programming so I can't tell you how difficult it is.  It does say it requires no prior experience though. 

Thanks!  Hmm.  My dds are doing the Udacity Python course right now, but I'm not sure they'll be ready for Java just yet.  I know nothing about programming either, but the fact your son had some programming experience already makes me hesitate to jump into Java next year with my dds.  I think I'll stick to visual basic for them next year and maybe skip up to Java the following year.  We still have lots of time before high school to explore different programming languages, anyway.  Thanks again.