Menu

Extremely fun but challenging curriculum options for 6th grade ds

whitestavern

Background: I've been homeschooling my dd (going into 8th) and ds (going into 6th) from the get go.  It was always my plan to go through 8th grade and then have them go to a public/private/parochial high school.  DDs been asking to go to school and I thought it would be a good idea for her to go in at 8th grade so that she has the year prior to high school to get used to everything, get some good study skills down, and if there are any educational gaps we can address them this year.  So I enrolled her in a local Catholic school that is kind of Classical in their methodology.

So, now it's just my 10 yo ds that I'll be homeschooling.  Up til now we've done a lot of our subjects together, and they were focused more on my dd since she was the older one.  I'm excited to make this a really fun year for both of us.  I'd like to find some fun, maybe hands on curriculum, but I want it to be challenging and effective as well.  I'm particularly looking for an interesting literature program.  He's not a reader, but I want to do lots of readalouds with him this year as well as find some great books for him to read, and discuss them together.  Here's what we used this year:

Math: Saxon 7/6 (we also supplement with Problem Solving & LoF)

Language: So You Really Want to Learn French

Grammar: MCT Voyage level (Vocab & Poetry too)

Spelling: Simply Spelling

Writing: finished up WT2, then went through Sentence Composing

Science: NOEO Physics II

History: History Odyssey Middle Ages

Logic: Logic Countdown, Liftoff & Orbiting w/Logic

Music/Art: Harmony Fine Arts Middle Ages

He does well in math (with the exception of Fred), but isn't crazy about any of the programs we've used.  At this point I'm not sure I want to start something new.  But maybe a fun supplement?  He has always enjoyed MCT's subjects, and seemed to like French as well.  We took it very slow so we could definitely keep that up this year.  We're in line for late Renaissance/early Modern for history but History Odyssey was boring to him.  We've done all the sciences at least once.  I don't know what to do this year.  I personally hate science and haven't really liked any of the curriculum we've tried.  I might try to outsource.

So, any ideas to shake things up a bit?  I'm all ears for any suggestions!  Oh, I would like to stay away from computer based programs.

For science, I highly recommend TOPS units; very fun, inexpensive, and great for kids who want something they can do themselves.  There are TOPS materials for elementary through high school.  My two oldest boys loved doing TOPS last year and are very much looking forward to more TOPS next year; they used Christmas money from Grandma to buy two more units (yes, they looked through the WHOLE Rainbow Resource catalog and chose to buy TOPS...)

What fun! Grades 6-8 are a great last opportunity to enjoy subjects of personal interest, follow bunny trails, do some unusual things, etc., that you don't really have time for so much in high school. The hard part will be narrowing it down! ;) BEST of luck in your one-on-one 6th grade school year! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Science Ideas -- consider having DS pick 4 topics and do one each quarter

(many of these might be able to be done with an after school club, homeschool group, or community opportunity)

- robotics

- electronics (soldering, making projects, etc.)

- rocketry

- engineering / building structures

- horticulture (Community Gardens, worm composting, hydroponics, aqua gardening...)

- oceanography

- marine biology

- environmental science

- ecology

- "green" technology

- sports science

- genetics

- forensics

- paleontology

- kitchen chemistry

- Backyard Ballistics

- The Jason Project

History Ideas -- consider dropping traditional History and have DS pick one or several "Social Studies" topics for the year

- physical geography

- countries & cultures (cultural geography)

- maps & mapping

- civics / elections / government

- citizenship

- current events

- world religions

- philosophy

- U.S. states and presidents

- your local state history / government / culture / geography

- personal finance / basic economics

You could also let DS pick a time frame of interest to him and go deep into it, or focus on an aspect that is of interest to him -- example: Medieval weapons and warfare; history of aircraft; famous large structures around the world/through time; etc.

Literature Ideas

- Literary Lessons from the Lord of the Rings

Grades. 7-12. 1 year program. Secular (with Christian unit in the appendix). If your family enjoys Tolkien, you can to do this one without difficulty with a 6th grader -- skip the fill-in-the-blank parts, read aloud, and enjoy the chapter notes and 12 units together; you can even spread the program and/or the 12 units of material out over 1.5 to 2 years if you like.

- Garlic Press Publishers guides: Discovering Literature series

Grades 5-8. Secular. Probably take 4-8 weeks per guide, depending on how much you want to use or how in-depth you want to go. These are meaty guides with great discussion questions, literary element instruction, writing assignment ideas, activity suggestions, etc.

Regular = My Side of the Mountain, Island of the Blue Dolphins,  Where the Red Fern Grows, Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH, Roll of Thunder Hear My Cry

Challenger = The Hobbit, Redwall 

- Memoria Press: 6th Grade Literature

Grade 6. Christian. Covers The Hobbit, Treasure Island, Anne of Green Gables, and The Bronze Bow. You can do one a quarter and then enjoy loads of great books that are right at a 6th grade level.

Further Up, Further In

Grades 4-6. Christian. A one-year unit study based on the 7 Chronicles of Narnia books. Not so much Literature study, more about seeing Biblical concepts in the books, with lots of projects and activity ideas in cooking, arts, history, and science. Definitely enjoy loads of great books that are right at a 6th grade level alongside this program.

- MCT Literature

Each unit covers 3 books, which gives you 12 weeks to do the MCT unit, and still lots of time to enjoy loads of great books that are right at a 6th grade level.

- Mud trilogy (Alice's Adventures in Wonderland; Wind in the Willows; Peter Pan)

- Search trilogy (Treasure Island, Call of the Wild, The Invisible Man)

- Time trilogy (The Time Machine, A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court, A Christmas Carol)

Extracurriculars

This might be a fun time to get involved in some interesting activities outside of home:

- an after school club (chess, electronics, robotics, etc.)

- after school bowling league

- community youth theater group

- book club

- airsoft or paintball group

- fencing, martial arts, archery, rollerskating, unicycling...

- 4-H (it's not just animals!)

- historical reenactment group

Wow...so much great information here.  Thank you!  Lots to research.  Lori D. I love your ideas on science and history especially.  Keep the ideas coming!

I was also thinking of doing some unit studies.  I've never done them...anyone have any they especially love?  I'm looking for secular or something that can be used secularly.