Menu

Has anyone heard of this? Allergy question

Melinda S in TX

My family has a lot of mystery illnesses.  Cancer, allergies, bronchiolitis, swollen lymph nodes, seizures, eczema, etc.  Everyone is getting treated, but the doctors can't find a real reason for any of this.

Several people have suggested that maybe something is wrong with our home.  One of our doctors didn't know the details, but he had heard of taking a blood sample from all the members of a family, allergy testing it, and whatever a majority of the family is allergic to, that would be the problem to look for.  If everyone shows allergic to a certain mold for instance, look for that mold.

Does anyone know about this?  The doctor had heard about it, but didn't know anything else about it.

I am not an expert, but when I worked in a school many years ago, we had worries about mold in a classroom. A company came and tested the air. We did end up having high levels of mold spores and they had to do some fixing.

I know there are environmental doctors... mostly for businesses, but perhaps you could check that out.

God bless you, Melinda. I continue to pray for your family.

It does sound environmental, based on things I have heard/read over the years.

Around here, when strange cancers pop up, it is suggested to have the house tested for Radon gas. I think there is another type of gas in Colorado Springs to worry about, but I can't remember the name of that one. Is there something similar in your area?

I would start with molds and go from there. If you just had cancers to look at, that would (I would guess) rule out a number of things, but since you are dealing with a wide variety of health issues, mold is the first thing that comes to mind for me. I am definitely not an expert by any means, but I just remember a documentary (or just a show) about a family who had tons and tons of strange health issues pop up when they moved into their new $$$ home and it turned out to be that horrid black mold. All but one of them got better when they moved out. Stachybotrys is the name of the 'black mold' that was featured in that story. Bloody scary stuff.

:grouphug: :grouphug:  to you as you travel this stressful & scary road.

My parents bought a very nice home to raise us in.  Unfortunately, on the other side of the rolling hills was a chemical waste dump that was eventually shut down.  Cancer, lupus, neuropathy, joint problems, skin rashes, chronic fatigue...  We all have suffered in some way from it.          I would check the mold issue first, then check into environmental issues next.