Menu

Best mastery math program???

Singapore and Math in Focus both fit the description.

(I wouldn't call them "best", but they are both excellent... "best" is whatever works for you and your kids and gets done regularly :D )

ETA: Another would be Beast Academy, though it's only 3rd grade and I think they're about to release 4th grade soon, or parts of it. Eventually, it will go grades 2-5.

Agree with Boscopup on the definition of best!

We've used Singapore. US edition for Gr 1, then Standards for 2-5. We have always done the text, WB, using the Home Instructors Guide. We do all the problems from Challenging Word Problems - on level. We do most of Intensive Practice and have used the iExcel books (now being replaced by the Process Skills books).

I'm still waiting to see my schedule for fall and whether I have any courses, but I've taught math at the community college ... starting year 15 in the fall. If I teach a beginning algebra course, I'll have my 6th grade son take it at home, but taught the way I teach on campus and with the same tests and the same requirements for grading. I think he's ready for it...and I'm curious how the challenge would be for him.

So I'd definitely say Singapore is a solid mastery program, IME.

Guest callmeflower

We started using Math-U-See in the middle of this year and really like it so far. I definitely love it compared to the spiral math program that we were using.

Probably boring, but Saxon=Mastery in our house. I was taught using Saxon in PS. Finished high school Calculus with a B. I loved math then, still love it now. I'm using Saxon with my kiddos. No bells & whistles, but they know their math inside & out. :)

I'm pretty sure the OP is asking for a math program where each lesson is on one topic, and that one topic is practiced during the exercises. Saxon is incremental spiral, so there will be a few problems on the current lesson, but the rest are all review of different types of problems. That style can drive some people nuts (myself included), and thus a "mastery" style program would be sought out - teach me the concept, let me practice THAT concept, and then move on to the next concept after I've mastered the first one. Review periodically to keep things fresh.

So that's a bit different from "mastering math", which any math program has the capability of doing. :)

I'm pretty sure the OP is asking for a math program where each lesson is on one topic, and that one topic is practiced during the exercises. Saxon is incremental spiral, so there will be a few problems on the current lesson, but the rest are all review of different types of problems. That style can drive some people nuts (myself included), and thus a "mastery" style program would be sought out - teach me the concept, let me practice THAT concept, and then move on to the next concept after I've mastered the first one. Review periodically to keep things fresh.

So that's a bit different from "mastering math", which any math program has the capability of doing. :)

Ah, clueless homeschooler now clued in. I haven't yet learned the nuances of curriculum-speak. ;)

Ah, clueless homeschooler now clued in. I haven't yet learned the nuances of curriculum-speak. ;)

There are so many words that mean different things to different people. Mastery-- :lol: I don't even know how to touch this one.

Saxon is an awesome option for some families, especially after 54. So are so many other curricula for other families.

No one has mentioned Math on the Level yet. This would meet some people's definitions of mastery.

http://www.mathonthelevel.com/

Hello, 

Well, I didn't really know that there were different thoughts on mastery vs spiral math.  Haha!  Didn't mean to cause confusion.  

Anyway, as crazy as it sounds, I ended up going with the complete opposite of what I thought I wanted for my son.  I have chosen CLE for him which of course is spiral.  We have done Rod & Staff in the past and while it is a good program, it was indeed boring for our family.   

I looked at all the different curriculums and just thought that CLE might be a very good fit for my son right now.  We shall soon see! 

Thanks so much again for the responses.  I really appreciate them greatly! :)