Menu

How to make my HS room more inviting?

So i've been thinking.....

* I'd have to paint a color too, but that is just me and I know not everyone has that problem.

* don't forget you could turn the 2x4s on their side and stack them. Or put them back to back in the middle of the room and throw a board on them for a taller standing height project table!

* i'd probably try the couch back back the garage door, with your desk angled out like mentioned above in the other corner... then turn the kids table the other direction.

* if one of the 2x4s is for "your" stuff, consider keeping it by your desk in the new spot.

Basically, I ponder other peoples room to avoid this disaster that occurred at my own house this week! :o

What a great space! I love all of the light. I think the blue and brown will look great together! What I've noticed at my house, is what draws me to a room isn't necessarily what attracts my son. I get excited about the pillows, fabrics and furniture...him, not so much. I have to lure him in with sensory type items. So, on what I think are cute tables, I put a couple little buckets of Legos or Ogobuilds. Any building or figit toys wills do. A nerf hoop on the door, bean bag to flop into and a jogging tramp to jump on. Great for when he needs a break or something to keep his hands busy while I'm reading. I always thought if I turned my garage into a school room, I'd hang a swing from the ceiling!

I hope you continue to keep us updated on the room's progress. I love seeing the pictures! :)

Any suggestions to "warm it up"?

Your dogs are so adorable! I would homeschool with the dogs in the room. They look snuggly. :)

I like the red, white, and blue color scheme. ;) We have this in our HS room, but with tan walls (house came that way). Ours is sort of a colonial red, a dark blue, and mostly tan. It's cheery and yet not too "preschooly" for where we're at in life.

The top ten things I might do with your HS room:

1. I would cut the tags off the seat cushions. I'm a tag-cutter.

2. I would move the sofa to where the work table now is, and move the work table to where the sofa had been. So, sofa near the windows, work table along the block wall.

3. I might move one of the small shelves (2 blocks x 4 blocks) to the window wall, and use it as a Science/Nature Study table. We have one of these in our HS room (turned horizontally), and it's a nice place for collecting muskrat skulls, seeds, rocks, driftwood, a beehive, a bird's nest, seashells, deer moss, and more. We also grow plants or put our main rock collections on top.

4. I think I might paint the walls and/or ceiling a warmer color than white. I really like the red, white, and blue items that you already have, though. But something warmer on the walls might make the space homier.

5. I would add some plants, possibly in hanging baskets (in the corners, hanging from the ceiling?). They do not have to be real.

6. I might hang an American flag on the block wall, over the work table. Or at least put something colorful on the wall there.

7. I would declutter. The best thing I ever did for our sanity and usage of the HS space was to remove everything we were not using for that particular season. If we are using it now, it can stay. If we used it, or will use it later, it has to go into a safe, pest-free and mildew-free storage space.

8. I would sew up some pretty pillows, in red/white/blue calicoes, stripes, and plaids. Pillows would make the dark, stark sofa look cozier. I would put an area rug and a coffee table in front of the sofa.

9. I agree with a PP about storing a few things in baskets. The few baskets that we bought did add some warmth and charm to our space. However, the bottoms of the baskets can be hard on your shelves, if you have to pull the baskets in and out. I put felt pads on the bottoms of a few baskets, and for some others I simply made more space between the top of the basket and the bottom of the shelf above it -- so, no more in and out.

10. Finally, I would just be thankful for the space, and for whatever time we spent in it, even if we moved and schooled all throughout the house. You're not obligated to be there, but it does help (me, at least) to have a space that is truly pleasant. You already have a lot of nice features in place in this space -- the light coming in through the windows, the clean floor, the roominess, the awesome table/chairs, and the wooden beam along the ceiling (I like that).

For me, it's a relief just to know that the HS room is "there." We may be "in here" some of the time, but the space is ready to go whenever we are, KWIM? No more, "Clean up that mess, clear off that table, it's time for school work." That was starting to wear me out at our old house.

As your kids get older, they could continue their work while you switch out laundry. What I do is have my girls do a chore while I do a chore. That way, I have fewer chores, and we all get a break. But they know to come back to the HS space as soon as the chore is finished. I don't like rounding up stray scholars. LOL.

Enjoy your space! :)

Actually, my walls aren't white, they are a pale lime green. If i were to do it again, I would follow my i stints and do a ething more noticeable, but dh convinced me that this color would work. I do like it, it is just subtle.

I actually was wondering if they weren't white - i have this fancy monitor and I kept thinking they had a color tint to them.... I suppose he wouldn't go for throwing another coat of darker paint on there? I had a bedroom once with a tint paint like that... ended up driving me crazy.

So post more pictures after you move the furniture around so we can all live vicariously thru your room! LOL!

Since trying OM, maybe a Waldorfy decor?  

Maybe one wall with a rainbow of colors?  Or wall mural?  There used to be wall size wall paper of nature scenes.  Or kids own work up on walls.

A soft single color curtain that casts a nice light color into the room (don't know what you all would like--I'd probably want light blue if things are hot and over bright, or light rose or orange if they are cold and a bit dark)?  Or a soft silken group of colors.     To me, less geometric shapes, more soft colors, curves, soft surfaces, tend to help.  Some low bookcases, or parts of cases with art object rather than books.  

Music perhaps if it did not get in way

What a great space! I love all of the light. I think the blue and brown will look great together! What I've noticed at my house, is what draws me to a room isn't necessarily what attracts my son. I get excited about the pillows, fabrics and furniture...him, not so much. I have to lure him in with sensory type items. So, on what I think are cute tables, I put a couple little buckets of Legos or Ogobuilds. Any building or figit toys wills do. A nerf hoop on the door, bean bag to flop into and a jogging tramp to jump on. Great for when he needs a break or something to keep his hands busy while I'm reading. I always thought if I turned my garage into a school room, I'd hang a swing from the ceiling!

I hope you continue to keep us updated on the room's progress. I love seeing the pictures! :)

What great ideas! Thank you!

Today I went to Home Goods and bought some wicker type baskets, and found ANOTHER rug, which I promptly bought. I think I am going to cancel the Target order--this was a super nice rug that was marked down a LOT. It looks so good. I turned the couch and have moved the shelving along the lines people indicated above. Even DH, who thought I was crazy to expend effort rearranging it when "it looked fine" thought it looked much better. 

Now I have to reshelve all the books. DH wants to move the big white table out of the homeschool room and put in the dining room table, which is also very big, because he has been wanting a round table for the dining room. He says the wood dining room table will "warm up" the school room LOL. (He knows what language I like!!!)

I will definitely post pictures once the mess is cleared up. 

I actually was wondering if they weren't white - i have this fancy monitor and I kept thinking they had a color tint to them.... I suppose he wouldn't go for throwing another coat of darker paint on there? I had a bedroom once with a tint paint like that... ended up driving me crazy.

So post more pictures after you move the furniture around so we can all live vicariously thru your room! LOL!

Will do, Tracey. And no, neither he nor I want to repaint at this moment LOL. I am going to get the brown curtains I think.....that will help. 

Will do, Tracey. And no, neither he nor I want to repaint at this moment LOL. I am going to get the brown curtains I think.....that will help. 

I'd come paint for you if you lived nearby... in fact, I could use a vacation - wanna fly me in wherever it is that you are?!?!?!?! :p

So are you going to go for moving the dining room table in there?? I have issues with table height so that wouldn't work for me without taller chairs. But i'm the freak that uses a drafting chair at my Expedit desk, and prefers "typing" height tables anyway!

Everyone deserted me on my project of sorting thru the craft closet empty  :glare:  So, I ran away (actually, it is hot back there and I'm sitting next to the AC for a bit pondering what I want for dinner!).

I need to see a picture of the new rug and furniture layout!!! :D

What great ideas! Thank you!

Today I went to Home Goods and bought some wicker type baskets, and found ANOTHER rug, which I promptly bought. I think I am going to cancel the Target order--this was a super nice rug that was marked down a LOT. It looks so good. I turned the couch and have moved the shelving along the lines people indicated above. Even DH, who thought I was crazy to expend effort rearranging it when "it looked fine" thought it looked much better. 

Now I have to reshelve all the books. DH wants to move the big white table out of the homeschool room and put in the dining room table, which is also very big, because he has been wanting a round table for the dining room. He says the wood dining room table will "warm up" the school room LOL. (He knows what language I like!!!)

I will definitely post pictures once the mess is cleared up.

I agree on the table. I'd much rather move my wood kitchen table into my hs room to warm it up to look less schooly and more inviting. I too want a round table for my kitchen area. We're always passing food on the oblong, with 3 people. DH is smart! :)

Our Target had that rug in stock. :( Can't wait to see pics!

I'd come paint for you if you lived nearby... in fact, I could use a vacation - wanna fly me in wherever it is that you are?!?!?!?! :p

So are you going to go for moving the dining room table in there?? I have issues with table height so that wouldn't work for me without taller chairs. But i'm the freak that uses a drafting chair at my Expedit desk, and prefers "typing" height tables anyway!

Everyone deserted me on my project of sorting thru the craft closet empty  :glare:  So, I ran away (actually, it is hot back there and I'm sitting next to the AC for a bit pondering what I want for dinner!).

You like to paint? Boy I have some rooms for you! :P

Okay, so you know I bought a rug at Target...which hasn't shipped...and then today I bought a rug at Home Goods...which looks really good...but might be too small for the room....so I am going back because there was ANOTHER rug at Home Goods that I liked but didn't have any blue in it....but it was bigger....so I am going to buy that...and then I will return all the rugs I don't want...LOL.

What looks nice too is simplifying my books so that I don't have as many--the shelves are a bit emptier so I can put some non-book things there--decorative baskets, vases, etc. It looks nicer! I am also going to buy a ficus tree to put in there. 

While clearing out my room I found some old K12 prints that were sent to me: Durer, Rembrandt..I am going to frame them and put them on the wall....

Can't wait til it's done.

You like to paint? Boy I have some rooms for you! :p

I love to paint!!

It is somewhat painful for me to do it right now though, which is putting a damper on my own house. :( 

Oh, and the inability to actually pick colors for my kitchen means I have um, 6 test colors in various spots? The youngest wants me to just paint stripes! :p

Looking good!!!

(and, do you know where you got the tool/supply thing in the expedit cube? I have been looking for something like that that fits and keep striking out....)

That looks like the one I have from Staples!

That looks like the one I have from Staples!

I'm looking on their website and they all seem to have more trays than I need, I need more pencil spots - less paperclips and thumbtacks.

I think I will run away there again - alone - and see what they have. I found something I would like on Amazon but it was $46!  :huh:

I'm looking on their website and they all seem to have more trays than I need, I need more pencil spots - less paperclips and thumbtacks.

I think I will run away there again - alone - and see what they have. I found something I would like on Amazon but it was $46!  :huh:

The one from staples only has 3 pencil thingys.  But it was $10.00. :)

Looking good!!!

(and, do you know where you got the tool/supply thing in the expedit cube? I have been looking for something like that that fits and keep striking out....)

Got it at staples for under 10 bucks (you mean the black spinny thing, yes?)

Wow, you've put in some good work in there! :hurray: I really like the changes. Well done! And you must treat yourself (as if redecorating isn't treat enough eh?) after everything is done.

Errmmm...sorry, my OCD is acting up. The Math on Call book on that top shelf (above Keep It Simple -- love that sign btw) is upside down. :leaving:

Wow, you've put in some good work in there! :hurray: I really like the changes. Well done! And you must treat yourself (as if redecorating isn't treat enough eh?) after everything is done.

Errmmm...sorry, my OCD is acting up. The Math on Call book on that top shelf (above Keep It Simple -- love that sign btw) is upside down. :leaving:

Hah! I noticed that too LOL. The books aren't completely organized yet though, so I will forgive myself. That math book should technically be on the reference shelf too, not the top shelf where it is unreachable. ;)

Wow! You certainly have been working hard! I love it! It looks so warm and inviting. Enjoy your space, and the scholars in it.

Thanks! I can't wait til it is TOTALLY done, but I need DH to hang some heavy items on the wall. Once the washing machine is boxed in on the back wall and we build shelves back there, I think it will look really good. It really helps that I have been trying to move towards a more minimalist homeschool approach, selling things we aren't using and focusing on just a few good books, plus OM. I really think the kids will enjoy the new approach. Already I am feeling more relaxed about the coming year, as opposed to my "how can I stuff this one more resource into our day" approach..... :lol:

I will share photos when it's totally done!