Menu

On-line Latin 1 recommendations for highschooler

Guest kacifl

I've had three dc take Latin through FLVS and we have been very pleased so far. The teachers are excellent, respond promptly to questions or problems and genuinely know and care about their students. My oldest completed Latin I and II, and I hope the rest will do Latin I, II and III before moving into further Latin studies or a modern language.

HTH,

Lisa

Ds. will take Latin I with Scholars Online this year. It does not have an audio component. Lukeion, Oxford Tutorials, Artesian Wells Tutorials, Lone-Pine Classical, and Veritas Press Online offers Latin I. Lukeion is full but you might be able to find a spot with the others mentioned. Our schedule fit well with SO Latin schedule so we are going with it this year.

HTH!

Nissi

My son did Latin 1 (Henle) through Regina Coeli and really liked it. He will continue with Latin 2 (Henle) and my younger daughter will do Latin 1 (Henle) through RCA.

What we liked about the course --

1) Well-laid out. Clear expectation. No surprises.

2) Daily assignments were well-laid out -- including drill, audio component, and exercises.

3) Classes were encouraging, humorous, and to the point.

4) Frequent quizzes (approximately 2 - 5 per week)

5) Free access to retake quizzes before the exam.

6) Quarterly exams that reflected material covered on the quizzes and assignments.

My older two kids took Latin 1 twice from different locations. While the above list may sound like an obvious description of a well-run Latin class, we have been UNPLEASANTLY surprised at how some Latin classes do not have many (or even any) of the above characteristics.

(We are not Catholic, BTW.)

• 3 weeks later...
My son did Latin 1 (Henle) through Regina Coeli and really liked it. He will continue with Latin 2 (Henle) and my younger daughter will do Latin 1 (Henle) through RCA.

What we liked about the course --

1) Well-laid out. Clear expectation. No surprises.

2) Daily assignments were well-laid out -- including drill, audio component, and exercises.

3) Classes were encouraging, humorous, and to the point.

4) Frequent quizzes (approximately 2 - 5 per week)

5) Free access to retake quizzes before the exam.

6) Quarterly exams that reflected material covered on the quizzes and assignments.

My older two kids took Latin 1 twice from different locations. While the above list may sound like an obvious description of a well-run Latin class, we have been UNPLEASANTLY surprised at how some Latin classes do not have many (or even any) of the above characteristics.

(We are not Catholic, BTW.)

Gwen, were the "bad" classes online courses, or local?

Online.

Read the course description and see what the instructor/descriptions promises.

Part way through the year with one particular Latin class, when we were tearing our hair out, we went back to the course description and realized that the course actually did match the course description. The problem was that we had signed our kids up for a course that didn't provide the support/accountability that we THOUGHT we were paying for!

Our other bad experience with Latin 1 involved a course that went ridiculously fast. When we signed our son up, we didn't focus on the fact that the course went through Wheelock's at the speedy rate of 20 chapters per year, and ds, not being an academic type, absolutely could not keep up.