Menu

Explode the Code - Do I need teacher's guide?

My ds has completed the entire series.  I never even cracked open the teachers guide.  However, if you plan to use it as your only phonics program and need guidance on how to expand on the lessons, then maybe!  :) 

My 1st grader completed 3 & 4 this year and did fine.  I think it's child specific and what level they are at.  They do sell a placement test but it's probably not necessary. 

Funny b/c I've just spent the last however-many minutes trying to decide if I should add the teacher's guide for my ETC order. :p

For me, I'm considering using ETC as our main program (for my youngest).  The guides give some ideas on how to make it more hands-on and fun (instead of just all workbook all the time).  It has oral practice/listening activities and kinesthetic stuff...

I didn't even know there was a teacher guide, I probably would have bought one. We have 1 and 2 - and 1 1/2 but I didn't realize that the half books seem more like duplicates of book 1. So I'll probably just save that for the youngest one because I don't think we'll need a lot of extra practice, at this point, for book 1.

There's a few pages in the back of each book that are not very intuitive to figure out without the teacher guide. But still not impossible to come up with some sort of DIY lesson. I think the TGs aren't terribly necessary. Neither are the half books.

Books 1 and 2 are CVC and 4 letter blend words. So if your 1st grader is past reading words like hop and truck then you wouldn't need them. 

My Gr1 is on Bk4 & I haven't used a TG.  The post-tests at the back I just make something up :-)

ETC isn't our main phonics program - we use it as a supplement to Phonics Pathways & lots of readers.  I did find when we came to do All About Spelling this year, (Level 1) he has found it quite easy as it is a lot (so far) of what we have covered in ETC, so it has been a good review thus far.

• 2 weeks later...

One thing to know is that the teacher guides do not have the lesson answers, only the answers for the post-tests.

HTH,

Kathy

OHHH how I wish I would of known this about 4 weeks ago :)   Now I have 2 books which can not help like I needed.

OH well :)  bummer.

I was disappointed when I realized that, too.  I don't know why they made them that way.  There are some old answer keys floating around if you can find them.  They are just a few paper pages folded together like a large pamphlet.  You might be able to find them on Amazon.

I was disappointed when I realized that, too.  I don't know why they made them that way.  There are some old answer keys floating around if you can find them.  They are just a few paper pages folded together like a large pamphlet.  You might be able to find them on Amazon.

That is good to know!  Thank you :)