Menu

Gift amount for 50th wedding anniversary

Pegasus

I need some help deciding on the appropriate gift amount for MIL-FIL 50th wedding anniversary.  I've asked repeatedly over the last few months for ideas of what they would like to receive and the only thing that MIL could think of was a leaf-viewing group tour this fall.  We would like to provide money that they could use towards this trip.  The tour would be around $3,000 for the two of them.

We are co-hosting a party with their DD and inviting all the extended relatives. Our expenses will be around $500-600 for the party.

I've asked DH about how much he wants to give but he says he is fine with whatever I decide. 

Any ideas?  I do not know what SIL (their DD) is gifting.

Thanks,

Pegasus

I think the party is your gift to them!  Of course, a small momento to remember the occassion by and so that they have a present to unwrap from your family is a nice touch.

And FYI....I do presents for my side of the family and husband does presents for his side...so it'd be DHasking "about how much he wants to give" and me saying I'm " fine with whatever" he decides! Shake up that DH and make him get involved! LOL!

Myra

I think so much depends on your own financial situation and that of your parents-in-law, too! If they can easily afford the leaf tour, then I think the party is plenty. If they cannot really afford the trip and you can afford to help, then can you talk to your SIL about each donating a certain amount toward it? Perhaps together, you could pay for half. So, you would each put in $750 toward it.

Or if your in-laws could afford the trip but no extras, can you pay for one night at a B&B in the area where the tour begins, or for some other extra item like some good binoculars?

But otherwise, the party and a nice card is enough.

• 4 weeks later...

When is their anniversary? I would definitely talk to SIL and figure out what she is getting them before you decide on anything. Maybe you and your husband can go in on a gift together with SIL? Something to contribut to their leaf-viewing trip perhaps?

I agree with jjhat7's idea on maybe paying for one night for them at a bed and breakfast or something along those lines, or even just a great card! You can always customize an anniversary card from Treat (http://www.treat.com/shop/anniversary_cards.htm). You can add photos and customize your own personal message inside the card! I would definitely go with a sentimental anniversary card, and then contribute whatever else you can to their leaf-viewing trip. I'm sure your MIL and FIL will love it!

I need some help deciding on the appropriate gift amount for MIL-FIL 50th wedding anniversary.  I've asked repeatedly over the last few months for ideas of what they would like to receive and the only thing that MIL could think of was a leaf-viewing group tour this fall.  We would like to provide money that they could use towards this trip.  The tour would be around $3,000 for the two of them.

We are co-hosting a party with their DD and inviting all the extended relatives. Our expenses will be around $500-600 for the party.

I've asked DH about how much he wants to give but he says he is fine with whatever I decide. 

Any ideas?  I do not know what SIL (their DD) is gifting.

Thanks,

Pegasus