Menu

Fallacy Detective or Art of Argument?

I own Fallacy Detective already (bought used and very cheap), but which do you prefer, and why? 

Also, I see that Thinking Toolbox is a follow up to Fallacy Detective; do these 2 titles together equal the same content as Art of Argument? 

Would Art of Argument or a combo of Fallacy Detective/Thinking Toolbox count as Logic for the year?  I'm planning out my upcoming 12-turning-13yo's 8th grade year.  BTW, she loves to argue, and drives us all crazy with arguing:)

I did FD last year with my dd#1. We spread it over almost the whole year at a relaxed pace & took some rabbit trails. I'm doing AoA this year with same dd & offering to teach it to any others in my local homeschool group because I've heard it is more fun as a group. AoA is more meaty. Both would 'count' as logic. We're doing AoA in a semester because of the group setting. Otherwise, I'd spread it over a year.

I was going to use AoA with my 11yo 6th grader this year (and bought it and was looking forward to it, because I liked that it used ads, which I thought was a great idea with tweens, to get them to evaluate the messages that are being marketed to them), and then I heard from this board that there were references to abortion and prostitution. I found them in the book and decided that I was uncomfortable with those topics for her age, so I've decided to put it off for a few more years. Just thought I'd give you that heads-up, if it matters to you. I'm wishing I had bought Fallacy Detective instead, but I also happened to stumble upon Logic to the Rescue (which is free as a Kindle book). I'm pre-reading it now to see if it is acceptable to me; so far, it is, and it's cute and humorous without being overboard. I think I'll have DD go through that this year and see how it goes.

I was going to use AoA with my 11yo 6th grader this year (and bought it and was looking forward to it, because I liked that it used ads, which I thought was a great idea with tweens, to get them to evaluate the messages that are being marketed to them), and then I heard from this board that there were references to abortion and prostitution. I found them in the book and decided that I was uncomfortable with those topics for her age, so I've decided to put it off for a few more years. Just thought I'd give you that heads-up, if it matters to you. I'm wishing I had bought Fallacy Detective instead, but I also happened to stumble upon Logic to the Rescue (which is free as a Kindle book). I'm pre-reading it now to see if it is acceptable to me; so far, it is, and it's cute and humorous without being overboard. I think I'll have DD go through that this year and see how it goes.

Thank you for mentioning this. It was on my list, and I had no idea. I think I will try FD instead.

Has anyone used the Thinking Toolbox?

We used Fallacy Detective at age 10-11 and then Art of Argument at age 11-12 and my son loved both.  AofA is definitely more thorough and develops the critical thinking process more deeply, but Fallacy Detective was a great introduction and a bit more fun.  I would not call it entirely secular though.

We have Discovery of Deduction slated next, followed by James Madison formal logic to finish out logic stage logic studies (along with computer programming and of course excellent mathematical studies, which is essentially logic).