Menu

Little Lincoln virtual school???

I just got a letter from my local school district that they are discontinuing K12 and Connections, and the only option for K-5th will be Little Lincoln.

This appears to be so NOT what I was looking for for her.... I liked the K12 reading and history materials (she is a rising 3rd grader).

UGH.... I'm so not sure what to do - and there are some massive things on my end that mean it might be my only choice.

www.littlelincoln.org and lincolninteractive.org

At least apparently the 3rd grade isn't the total cartoony demo I just watched - but I doubt I'm going to be feeling the love. Oh, and what do you take this statement to mean???

"We will be utilizing xyz County teachers to oversee instruction and xyz County School computer labs to hold some afternoon guided practice sessions with students."

I'm so not going to be interested in schlepping her to the school for sessions of any sort.

Crap.

I would not use little lincoln. From what I saw of it it was not nearly as good as K12. Can you homeschool?

Not without her Dad's permission. The K12 was public school, but at home, so it meets the divorce judgement requirements.

He is out of town for work, so I need to sort this out and talk to him about it..... he wasn't sure on the K12, and I wasn't going to do Connections - and now this....

And, I already sent my "extremely disappointed doesn't even begin to express my feelings" email to them. Darn it, I should have gone to that board meeting.

We used it for a semester when my son was in 1st through a statewide virtual school. This was when I first started homeschooling. It was both online and workbooks with a teacher guide. It was ok but I wasn't sad when the state pulled the program midyear. Honestly, I did much of it without the video instruction and ds watched during his screen time to work through the program. I don't know if that will make you feel better but I bet you will have time for supplementation. We had to turn in a few assignments to our appointed "teacher" and she did a reading assessment with him over the phone and gave me tips for further instruction. Overall, it wasn't invasive or time consuming. But I don't understand why a public school would choose that for their curriculum. .....Sorry. I think you should try to negotiate something better, if you can. Hugs to you!!!

My goal is to give her a solid 3rdgrade to fix issues from 2nd, then send her back if her dad insists.

This doesn't seem to meet that goal..... I think k12 was going to be a challenge for her, which she needs because she is bored. She asked for math books or Christmas!

Ugh.

Oh and why they did it? I bet they were the lowest bidder..... this feels that way. I wonder if I should go back to considering connections academy not thru the district but thru the state? Unless that option is gone.

My goal is to give her a solid 3rdgrade to fix issues from 2nd, then send her back if her dad insists.

This doesn't seem to meet that goal..... I think k12 was going to be a challenge for her, which she needs because she is bored. She asked for math books or Christmas!

Ugh.

Oh and why they did it? I bet they were the lowest bidder..... this feels that way. I wonder if I should go back to considering connections academy not thru the district but thru the state? Unless that option is gone.

Is there a statewide K12 available? It might be worth it to call K12 and see if they know of a different district that takes out of area students (the K12 district in my state is a good 6+ hour drive from mine, but I know quite a few people who have their kids enrolled in that particular PS district to do K12 as "open enrollment" students).

Is there a statewide K12 available? It might be worth it to call K12 and see if they know of a different district that takes out of area students (the K12 district in my state is a good 6+ hour drive from mine, but I know quite a few people who have their kids enrolled in that particular PS district to do K12 as "open enrollment" students).

We used Little Lincoln and Lincoln Interactive, and words do not begin to express my utter disgust with these curricula, especially Lincoln Interactive. One would think the least they could do would be to hire an editor, but even that was apparently beyond their budget. What a waste of time!

We used Little Lincoln and Lincoln Interactive, and words do not begin to express my utter disgust with these curricula, especially Lincoln Interactive. One would think the least they could do would be to hire an editor, but even that was apparently beyond their budget. What a waste of time!

Oh that is a great summary!!!!

Do you mind if I share it with the school district???

I just can't do it, I'd rather deal with ps again with puts some serious hardships on us logistically.

Here is the response from the Virtual SChool Principal this morning:

Thank you for taking the time to contact us regarding your disappointment over us not using the curriculum form K12 this year. The decision was not an easy one for us. We looked at several factors including student test scores.

We decided to go with other curriculum providers for several reasons and we feel we have made the decision that is in the best interest of our students.

Both Little Lincoln and VSCHOOLZ are approved virtual providers by the State of Florida. We will use Florida Virtual, VSCHOOLZ and Edgenuity for our secondary program. Please call us if you have any other questions.

I've already sent my response..... I did express my opinion that I felt the parents in the district were looking for programs to do 100% of the teaching, and obviously K12 isn't that, which would indeed impact test scores.

As of right now we will be doing Connections...