Menu

Should I read The Host before watching the movie?

I typically prefer to read the book before I watch the movie. Twilight was so poorly written that I had to make myself finish it, and that was after I had watched the movie. I couldn't bring myself to read the rest of the series. I did watch all the movies but I only liked Twilight. I like the previews for The Host, and think it looks like it might be a good movie. Should I even bother with the book?

I would definitely read the book before seeing the movie. There are plot points that I feel are needed to understand the story that are not explained well, or not in, the movie. My husband thought the movie was very boring. I enjoyed it, but the book is much better.

I really enjoyed the movie and recommend it to people who liked the book. My 17yo and I thought it was very well done and followed the book quite well (except that the final person didn't match my internal picture at all, but that was just a few minutes right at the end of the movie, so it didn't bother me).

I think the poor reviews were due to people expecting Twilight.

• 1 month later...

I was able to find a copy at the library, so I didn't have to buy it.  Thank goodness because I am having trouble getting through it.  It is not a page turner for me, I have to make myself read it.  It just seems to drag on and on and on.  I'm on page 206 and I don't know if I'm going to make it to the end.  Can't I just watch the movie?