Menu

New edition of Hake Grammar

Country Girl

Hake Grammar is backordered at Rainbow Resource because they are waiting on the new edition to be released late July or early August. Does anyone know anything about the new edition and what is changing? I'm trying to decide if it is worth it to wait for the new edition or just get the current one.

I have a few questions that go along with Hake if I can jump in here....RR does show a 1st and 2nd edition of the homeschool kit available? If I just want to use Hake for grammar, is it hard to leave out the writing with this program or do most people use the grammar and writing? Is the whole kit necessary or just the student book?

I don't see anything on RR about it being back ordered, I have it in my cart. Does that show up when you try to purchase it?

Hake Grammar is backordered at Rainbow Resource because they are waiting on the new edition to be released late July or early August. Does anyone know anything about the new edition and what is changing? I'm trying to decide if it is worth it to wait for the new edition or just get the current one.

Here is the contact email address for Hake, if you want to get info about the new edition directly. I've emailed them before and they were fast to respond and very helpful.

email: info@grammar.cc

source: http://www.hakepublishing.com/contact-hake-publishing.html

If I just want to use Hake for grammar, is it hard to leave out the writing with this program or do most people use the grammar and writing? Is the whole kit necessary or just the student book?

It is very easy to exclude the writing portion if you want because the writing portion is limited to the student workbook. You do not *need* the whole kit. The student textbook is grammar only, with all instruction written to the student. The student workbook contains all the writing lessons plus a few additional grammar practice worksheets for approx. 25 - 30 of the grammar lessons. There's so much grammar review in the main text, we've never used the additional grammar practice worksheets. I do use the teacher's manual to make my life easier. The TM is a solutions manual and also contains the student tests, if you want to use them. The TM does not contain scripted lessons for teaching the student.

Textbook = grammar

Workbook = writing (+ extra practice worksheets for 25 - 30 specific grammar lessons)

Teacher's manual = solutions and tests

ETA: I only have experience with the 1st edition. Based on the OP, I do not know if the 2nd edition would change my answer. Hopefully the OP will let us know if she finds out any info.

I emailed the company and got a very quick response from Mr. Stephen Hake.

The 2nd edition textbook is 99% the same as the 1st, and the other 1% is nothing to worry about. The changes include corrections that they sent into Houghton Mifflin Harcourt as well as a few changes that HMH made to meet their own guidelines (but they were all approved by Hake).

He said the changes to the workbooks were the addition of 3-6 writing lessons to meet some state standards. No writing lessons were taken out.

Rainbow Resource said it is the 2nd edition that is backordered (not released), but you can still get the 1st edition. They said they expect the new edition to arrive the end of July or sometime in August.

HTH!

I ordered Hake at the homeschool convention, so I asked about the changes. The new edition is being edited to align it to Common Core standards although I'm not sure what specifically they are changing. Personally, I haven't liked what I have seen of Common Core so far, and I ordered the current edition.

It is very easy to exclude the writing portion. You do not *need* the whole kit. The student textbook is grammar only, with all instruction written to the student. The student workbook contains all the writing lessons plus a few additional grammar practice worksheets for approx. 25 - 30 of the grammar lessons. There's so much grammar review in the main text, we've never used the additional grammar practice worksheets. I do use the teacher's manual to make my life easier. The TM is a solutions manual and also contains the student tests, if you want to use them. The TM does not contain scripted lessons for teaching the student.

ETA: I only have experience with the 1st edition. Based on the OP, I do not know if the 2nd edition would change my answer. Hopefully the OP will let us know if she finds out any info.

Thank you for clarifying that. I hadn't even noticed the textbook! :confused1: I was just focused on the workbook. The set is only a $6 difference from buying the textbook and the TM so even though I might not use it, I am tempted to just get the whole kit? I would like to be able to use the TM to simplify my life where I can. I am pretty sure that I won't be using the writing.

I have a few questions that go along with Hake if I can jump in here....RR does show a 1st and 2nd edition of the homeschool kit available? If I just want to use Hake for grammar, is it hard to leave out the writing with this program or do most people use the grammar and writing? Is the whole kit necessary or just the student book?

I don't see anything on RR about it being back ordered, I have it in my cart. Does that show up when you try to purchase it?

Don't know anything about the editions....but, to answer one of your questions, we did use Hake Grammar for 6th and only used the grammar portion. It was easy to leave out the writing if that is what you desire!

Sorry, one more question. I really couldn't stop thinking about all this last night. I was really set on trying Hake. It seemed easy to implement, independent and the content appears to be strong. I was only looking at the workbooks at first which are about $10. When I add in the kits for both kids we are suddenly looking at $100 just for Grammar. One of the reasons I liked Hake was the price (of the workbook). Obviously I missed the textbook, somehow! So, I have a 6th and 7th grader, I was going to order Hake 6 and Hake 8 and spread them both out of the two years if necessary. It's hard to justify spending that much just on grammar. Could both kids do level 6 and I could just order 1 TM? That would cut down on cost quite a bit. Is level 6 too young for a rising 7th grader? Do they work directly in the textbook, or could they share one? I have to find a way to cut the cost of this to be able to order it.

Sorry, one more question. I really couldn't stop thinking about all this last night. I was really set on trying Hake. It seemed easy to implement, independent and the content appears to be strong. I was only looking at the workbooks at first which are about $10. When I add in the kits for both kids we are suddenly looking at $100 just for Grammar. One of the reasons I liked Hake was the price (of the workbook). Obviously I missed the textbook, somehow! So, I have a 6th and 7th grader, I was going to order Hake 6 and Hake 8 and spread them both out of the two years if necessary. It's hard to justify spending that much just on grammar. Could both kids do level 6 and I could just order 1 TM? That would cut down on cost quite a bit. Is level 6 too young for a rising 7th grader? Do they work directly in the textbook, or could they share one? I have to find a way to cut the cost of this to be able to order it.

Yeah, just the workbook by itself is not what you want. You need the textbook for the grammar portion. FWIW, I just checked and there are many used copies of Hake Grammar on Amazon so that could save you some money if the budget is tight. How much previous grammar instruction have your kids had? If I was going to have my DS do only one level of Hake, it would be level 8, and spread over 2 years. You can see the scope and sequence (as well as table of contents and samples) for each level directly on the Hake website, linked below in my sig. You'll see that Level 7 & 8 are quite similar, but 8 is deeper into the concepts. I suppose your kids could share the textbook, but I have to tell you, I let my DS write in the textbook. I only have one kid, so I wouldn't re-use it anyway, but he would be quite unhappy if I required him to write everything on a separate piece of paper. Also, the paper it is printed on is like newsprint, so not the most durable for passing around to multiple students. But you know your kids, they may handle that just fine. Sorry, probably not what you wanted to hear. Hopefully someone will chime in with other ideas for you.

ETA: Christianbook also has good Hake samples/tables of contents.

I'm bummed to hear they have come out with a new edition. I have the teacher answer books for all the levels and had just planned on buying new student books for my dd as I needed them. I'm not sure how much grammar I will do with her, though, since she is doing Latin and has a pretty firm grasp of the subject. I think I want an extra Hake 8 for my son to do over 9th and 10th grade, but I can't decide what I want for my dd and I also didn't want to spend a lot of money on this right now.