Menu

Which Physics Course from The Teaching Co

I'm planning for H.S. Algebra-based Physics next year and want to do a video course from TTC to go with Principles of Physics from KineticBooks. Which would you recommend:

Physics in Your Life by Prof Wolfson (36 lectures)

Impossible: Physics Beyond the Edge by Prof Schumacher (24 lectures)

Physics and Our Universe by Prof Wolfson (60 lectures)

I had been planning on using the last one, but with 60 lectures, that might be overkill added to Principles of Physics. I've heard good things about the first two, but wanted some more opinions before choosing.

Does Physics and Our Universe get boring being 60 lectures long? Which is more entertaining with easy to understand content?

We watched these two, and I haven't seen the other one.

Physics in Your Life by Prof Wolfson (36 lectures)

Impossible: Physics Beyond the Edge by Prof Schumacher (24 lectures)

The first one was very engaging for my 9th grader. It talked about how a CD works, after all LOL. And a microwave and etc. It was clear, orderly, and wasn't afraid to use scientific language to explain scientific phenomenon.

The second one my son also enjoyed, but it was a little less practical, and somewhat out of his scope of interest but intrigued him enough to keep watching. The topics were things like absolute zero and perpetual motion, and he hadn't really cared about such things yet at his age, but was interested in hearing what the prof had to say about them. I personally felt the prof was a little confusing at times, because his topic was "nothing's impossible" but yet he'd sometimes say some aspect *was* impossible and leave it at that -- when he'd formulated this whole course to get his listeners not to accept that answer... But I didn't tell my son about my annoyance :) ETA: Other than that, it was interesting.

Julie

Julie in MN, thanks for the info. I will definitely be skipping Impossible then.

Dangermom, maybe you can post your opinion of that course on the High School board once you get more into it. It looks promising but is a big investment.

Flyiguana, I saw that and considered it. It's shorter than I'm looking for though.

The Udacity course worked well as a one-semester intro physics course for my science-y 8th grader. The video presentations are a few minutes each, followed up with short quizzes. They give a certificate based upon the final exam score, which is nice if you're looking for independent evaluations to stick in the transcript.