Menu

Art History/Appreciation & Music History/Appreciation?

I really like the Harmony Fine Arts materials.

The DK book Art is beautiful and we love it.

I still have my college music text, Music: An Appreciation by Kaiman. It's really good.

Depending on the ages of your kids the Getting To Know The World's Greatest series is fun.

Then there's the Krull books, Lives of the Musicians, Lives of the Artists and several others.

Books:

The Annotated Mona Lisa: A Crash Course in Art History from Prehistoric to Post-Modern

Smart Art: Learning to Classify & Critique Art

Looking at Pictures

Cave Paintings to Picasso

Story of the Orchestra (comes with a CD of musical excerpts to listen to along with reading the book section by section, covers selected composers and instruments)

CDs:

Story of X In Words & Music (~30 minutes of biographical narration + ~30 minutes of musical excerpts, separate CDs for several different composers - this link takes you to Bach, there are others for Mozart, Handel, Haydn, etc., some only $1.99 each right now! - look under "customers who bought this item also bought")

We're enjoying Meet the Masters quite a bit. Although each week focuses on one artist, the lesson discusses the artist's place in the art world, and explains the Paris Salon, or expressionism or cubism or who was friends with whom and even what music he artists listened to, and where they lived and what was going on in the world while they were learning and creating. In addition to a short hands-on technique lesson, MTM really places the art world in a context. It is pretty neat!

edited to note: watch the VanGogh unit. No punches are pulled on how his life ended.

Thank you for all of the replies so far! I've been looking at all of the materials recommended.

At least for Music History, I think I've settled on using a combination of: Meet the Great Composers Book 1 and the lapbooking materials from Joy Morin. I will probably tweak the lapbooking pages a bit, as I plan to do an interactive notebook and I want some pages where the girls can respond to the music that they hear, such as these SQUILT notebooking pages. I think these will work well for this year, as all I am planning is a brief, once-a-week lesson to give a broad overview of the major classical periods and a couple major composers from each period. I am keeping notes on other resources that we may use in the future if we want to go deeper.