Menu

Excel, Word, etc. ??? Instruction?

Personally, I think too much is made over taking courses in these programs. You can get a Dummies or some similar book and learn them very quickly on your own. Maybe not all the complex spreadsheet things, but I suspect only accountants really use a lot of those features.

I think the best way to learn Word and Excel is to have a reason to learn Word and Excel. Just going through tutorials tends to be kind of boring and doesn't lead strong retention. I'd think instead about identifying projects that are of interest to the student that requires the use of Word and Excel. As the student runs into stuff they don't know how to they can consult online videos or a study guide. Most libraries have a variety of guides so you could see what fits their learning style. I like the Teach Yourself Visually series and you can get the used 2007 version for a penny plus shipping. http://www.amazon.co...7/dp/0470045930

Also, it might be worth checking to see if your library or any community center offers classes. Our library offers free courses in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.

I think the best way to learn Word and Excel is to have a reason to learn Word and Excel. Just going through tutorials tends to be kind of boring and doesn't lead strong retention. I'd think instead about identifying projects that are of interest to the student that requires the use of Word and Excel. As the student runs into stuff they don't know how to they can consult online videos or a study guide. Most libraries have a variety of guides so you could see what fits their learning style. I like the Teach Yourself Visually series and you can get the used 2007 version for a penny plus shipping. http://www.amazon.co...7/dp/0470045930

Also, it might be worth checking to see if your library or any community center offers classes. Our library offers free courses in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.

I agree that you might try a class through community ed. The tutorials are an okay place to start but they probably won't interest your student much. Also you might check out Lynda.com. I haven't taken anything from them but they are pretty popular.

I am an accountant and use excel and I do think that with a teacher or lesson plan assigning a project in which you need to use the shortcuts and formulas etc. to create something useful (like a budget)would make the content more memorable.

You don't need instruction. Just doodle around on Excel and Word and you'll

figure it out. Same for Powerpoint.

I learned both when I was a kid. It's not difficult. Pretty straightforward.

I now use Open Office because I didn't want to buy the Microsoft one.

It's all the same thing.

I have taught Microsoft Office for quite a few years at our local 2yr college. You can get a book on MS Office and work through the tutorials. Office 2013 is now available and most colleges/Universities will no longer be using texts covering MS Office 2010 so you can find a used College Textbook.

I would recommend being creative and assigning projects that involve their current school work. For example:

For early Modern: Use Word to create a letter and use mail merge. All the contacts would be those that belonged to the Continental Congress

Economics: Use Excel to create a budget. Make sure they use all the formulas.

Research Papers: Give specific guidelines for them to follow to format their papers.

These are just a few ideas. I am planning on creating something for my children to learn MS Office, but haven't gotten there yet.

YouTube is an excellent source for researching how to complete a step.