Menu

5th Grade Science Supplemental Ideas Help, Please?

PachiSusan

I am spending the next few months formulating my curriculum, supplements, and enrichment materials for science next year and I wonder if I can pick your brain for things.

We are using "Behold and See 5" from Catholic Heritage Curricula and this is the Table of Contents:

Introduction:

Chapter 1: Studying living things around us

This is short chapter on terms (Biology, Zoology, Botany) and an in depth study and experiments with Earthworms. It goes into Taxonomic structure and classification of living beings, and they wrap up with Predators, Parasites, and Worms.

Chapter 2: Metamorphosis, Creatures Helping Other Creatures, and Graphing our Findings

Bees, beetles, and butterflies, the relationship with parasite and host, variability within species, learning how to use graphs for data, and how data in graphs can be misinterpreted or used to lie. I LOVE that they include this! They wrap up with flower examination and dissection.

Chapter 3: Food Webs, Resistance to Disease, and Conservation of Energy

They introduce the concept of a food web carnivore, herbivores, omnivores and the base of the web: tiniest plants. They introduce Swamps, decomposition, bioaccumulation, pesticides, immunity, immunizations, pest removal and DDT harmful effects, fresh water, and then an introduction to Atoms and Molecules.

Wow - what a meaty chapter!!

Chapter 4: Physiology and Introduction to Biochemistry

Photosynthesis, biochemistry, photosynthesis, more work with Atoms and Molecules in regards to glucose, and carbohydrates, respiration, chemical equations, the Carbon Cycle.

Chapter 5: The Circulatory System and Human Physiology

The circulatory system, lungs, arteries, veins, respiration, color of blood, pulse points, how the oxygen is pushed through the body, parts of the heart, heart and lung health, emphysema, and ends with a dissection of a heart if we choose too.

Chapter 6: Logic: Deduction, Induction, and Scientific Reasoning

Logic, reasoning, prediction, hypotheses, deductive reasoning, inductive logic, writing scientific reports, how to interpret results.

Chapter 7: Competition among Plants and Animals

Definition and examples of competition, facilitation, cats and starlings, cats and mice, cats and parasites, crustaceans, manipulation, defense mechanisms, competition between plants, masting and the Phalanx Strategy, runners, trichomes. Planting radish seeds and seeing what certain things change how they grow, and then record your results, or build a bird house.

Chapter 8: Atmosphere and the Weather

The Earth's movements and seasons, hemispheres, orbit, latitude and longitude, solstices, equinoxes, atmosphere, troposphere, stratosphere, mesosphere, thermosphere, northern lights, solar radiation, water, water cycle, types of clouds, hail, tornados, waterspouts, meteorologists, climate, celsius, Fahrenheit, the metric system.

Chapter 9: The Earth and it's Composition

Layers of the earth, plate tectonics, magnetic fields, lithosphere, continental drift, earthquakes, fault lines, volcanos, lava, the ring of fire, rocks and minerals, types of rocks fossils, sand and soil, and earthworms again! LOL

Chapter 10: Genetics and Taxonomy

Genes, DNA, Genetics, cells, nucleus, chromosomes, Mendelian Genetics, cells, entomologists,

collecting specimens.

I am looking for age appropriate engaging books to supplement the information. Does anyone have any suggestions?

The Basher Science books have titles that correlate with a lot of those chapters. Have you seen Basher books before? They're deceptively informational, lots of info packed into fun little books. My DS loves them.

http://www.amazon.co...science,aps,302

OH, I have seen those and thought they were just little kid board books and never even looked at them. I will take a look at them. I know they have them at the local library.

OH, I have seen those and thought they were just little kid board books and never even looked at them. I will take a look at them. I know they have them at the local library.

They're definitely not little kid books. More like middle school level knowledge (but can be appreciated by younger kids sometimes too).

Also, the Scientist in the Field series is excellent. Super excellent. Additionally, since you'll be doing biology, we have especially like the Sandra Markle Predator-Prey-Scavengers series and the Seymour Simon animal books. Both are good - upper elementary level with nice photos.

Since you'll be doing metamorphosis specifically, we had a book called An Extraordinary Life about a monarch butterfly that was very good.

For plants, the only series we really loved were the Life of Trees by Barbara Bash. Really good little books if your library has them.

For geology, we especially loved Shaping the Earth by Dorothy Hinshaw Patent. A longer book. Very worth the read. She has another one called Biodiversity that's similar and also excellent.

Not books, but there are sooooo many good documentaries for animals and earth topics. We've especially been loving the Attenborough Life of Birds and Life of Mammals series that are both on Netflix streaming. But there are so many other options - about geology as well.

Thank you!! I'm scribbling down those names to check the library catalog and see what they have!! Those sound awesome!

They're definitely not little kid books. More like middle school level knowledge (but can be appreciated by younger kids sometimes too).

Also, the Scientist in the Field series is excellent. Super excellent. Additionally, since you'll be doing biology, we have especially like the Sandra Markle Predator-Prey-Scavengers series and the Seymour Simon animal books. Both are good - upper elementary level with nice photos.

Since you'll be doing metamorphosis specifically, we had a book called An Extraordinary Life about a monarch butterfly that was very good.

For plants, the only series we really loved were the Life of Trees by Barbara Bash. Really good little books if your library has them.

For geology, we especially loved Shaping the Earth by Dorothy Hinshaw Patent. A longer book. Very worth the read. She has another one called Biodiversity that's similar and also excellent.

Not books, but there are sooooo many good documentaries for animals and earth topics. We've especially been loving the Attenborough Life of Birds and Life of Mammals series that are both on Netflix streaming. But there are so many other options - about geology as well.

We'll see...Having the accredited status on the transcript still means a lot to me. If that changes, the box will change. ;)

Accreditation of elementary school transcripts means exactly nothing.

Unless something has changed in the past two years, my local schools will not accept transfer credits from online or correspondence courses even if the program is accredited. Regardless of area of the country, the public school must take your child. If you were to put your child in public school, the school would typically place the child according to age. Even if the child is working ahead or behind that age-grade level, that is where the public school is going to start. If you wanted placement outside of age-grade, you would likely need to produce something more than just a transcript from a correspondence program. As soon as the child is enrolled, you can put in a letter requesting testing and the school must comply, but this is just the beginning of advocating for appropriate placement for your child. Of course, if your child is outside the box and public school may one day be on the agenda, document, document, document.

If you want to enroll in private school, the school will have an application and their own testing process to ascertain if their institution will be a good fit for your child. The private schools I have dealt with don't care where your child previously attended. They want a standardized test score and any information that makes your child stand out (ex: does your child play and instrument? If so, does he play in any of the local orchestras or bands? Does your child speak a language in addition to English? If so, is he fluent? Has your child taken part in any national competitions or exams? If so, what were the results?). At any rate, they just don't place much stock in what school your child previously attended.

So, if adapting Seton to your child is an ongoing process, you may want to look at how your local schools handle incoming students and that may lead you to reassess how important elementary accreditation really is. :)

HTH-

Mandy

On paper, Seton is considered a private Catholic school. it is not an "online or correspondence" school either.

I have seen too many of my homeschool groups Moms try to get their kids into school with Mom transcripts and have them be told they don't "count" and the kids must be tested or put behind. - enough over the years that it IS a concern for me - enough people who had no problems when they had an accredited transcript. Some were told they needed an official transcript from an accredited school. With all the changes coming down the pike with common core, I feel it's important to make sure that she has an accredited transcript in that case where she may go into a school .

I appreciate that your experience has been different than mine, and for now I am staying put. :)

Accreditation of elementary school transcripts means exactly nothing.

Unless something has changed in the past two years, my local schools will not accept transfer credits from online or correspondence courses even if the program is accredited. Regardless of area of the country, the public school must take your child. If you were to put your child in public school, the school would typically place the child according to age. Even if the child is working ahead or behind that age-grade level, that is where the public school is going to start. If you wanted placement outside of age-grade, you would likely need to produce something more than just a transcript from a correspondence program. As soon as the child is enrolled, you can put in a letter requesting testing and the school must comply, but this is just the beginning of advocating for appropriate placement for your child. Of course, if your child is outside the box and public school may one day be on the agenda, document, document, document.

If you want to enroll in private school, the school will have an application and their own testing process to ascertain if their institution will be a good fit for your child. The private schools I have dealt with don't care where your child previously attended. They want a standardized test score and any information that makes your child stand out (ex: does your child play and instrument? If so, does he play in any of the local orchestras or bands? Does your child speak a language in addition to English? If so, is he fluent? Has your child taken part in any national competitions or exams? If so, what were the results?). At any rate, they just don't place much stock in what school your child previously attended.

So, if adapting Seton to your child is an ongoing process, you may want to look at how your local schools handle incoming students and that may lead you to reassess how important elementary accreditation really is. :)

HTH-

Mandy

• 2 weeks later...

I just wanted to update you on this. I took the book out of the library and read it cover to cover. We will be using this next year to cover a myriad of topics. Thank you so much. It is exactly the kind of resource book I was looking for!

The Basher Science books have titles that correlate with a lot of those chapters. Have you seen Basher books before? They're deceptively informational, lots of info packed into fun little books. My DS loves them.

http://www.amazon.co...science,aps,302

Taryn, please tell me how you use these? I took the Rocks and Minerals book out and it just seems to be a list of all the rocks and minerals and their properties. What do I do with it? LOL

Middle Girl is the same age as your cutie (and bears an amazing resemblance as well). For her science reading, she's delving into a stack of Golden Guides. These are engaging and conveniently pocket-sized, and though a tad dated (there are more zoological kingdoms now), their science is sufficiently basic that the information is still good. These were cheap and easy to find on bookfinder.com and the used bookstore. They're somewhat like those DK Pocket books, but more organized and thinner. She's reading

Weather

Geology

Zoology

Botany

Ecology

Evolution

Rocks and Minerals

Landforms

Now and then she gets distracted by a more specialized volume (though I don't permit her to take Hallucinogenic Plants out of the house; I'd rather not be explaining to the APD that my child isn't in school because she's busy learning what illegal things you can do with bindweed). Venomous Animals, Bats, and Insect Pests are popular.

I will take a look at those - thank you!!

Middle Girl is the same age as your cutie (and bears an amazing resemblance as well). For her science reading, she's delving into a stack of Golden Guides. These are engaging and conveniently pocket-sized, and though a tad dated (there are more zoological kingdoms now), their science is sufficiently basic that the information is still good. These were cheap and easy to find on bookfinder.com and the used bookstore. They're somewhat like those DK Pocket books, but more organized and thinner. She's reading

Weather

Geology

Zoology

Botany

Ecology

Evolution

Rocks and Minerals

Landforms

Now and then she gets distracted by a more specialized volume (though I don't permit her to take Hallucinogenic Plants out of the house; I'd rather not be explaining to the APD that my child isn't in school because she's busy learning what illegal things you can do with bindweed). Venomous Animals, Bats, and Insect Pests are popular.

Taryn, please tell me how you use these? I took the Rocks and Minerals book out and it just seems to be a list of all the rocks and minerals and their properties. What do I do with it? LOL

Sorry, Susan, just saw this. DS just reads Basher books for fun, over and over. I don't feel a need to interfere with his enthusiasm by doing anything formal with them. But he loves science - he often picks a science encyclopedia for bedtime reading (I know, right?!!). Maybe just let your DD take a look and see if she takes to them?

I have seen too many of my homeschool groups Moms try to get their kids into school with Mom transcripts and have them be told they don't "count" and the kids must be tested or put behind.

For my district they just put kids by state cut-off date for grade level placement. The only acceleration is for math in middle school which is by placement tests. So previous transcripts just go into the student's records but don't count for placement. We don't have kids put behind unless a parent request it. They use placement tests for those entering 9th grade too regardless whether the student is a transfer from other district, homeschool or private school.

For private schools we toured, they use placement tests anyway because they want to see where the child is at according to the tests they use for all their applicants.