Menu

Catch up and question about iPhones

K in MI

I haven't been around much this past year. I have been dealing with the results of Mom's fall down the stairs, caring for her, her decline and death in April, and my diagnosis of MS that same month. Whew! I am finally getting the breather I need now to go through my grieving. Not everything has been "bad stress" this past year, though: I got to see my Alaska "mom and dad," youngest just graduated, daughter getting married next month, and grandbaby #5 coming in August. God has blessed me greatly this past year.

Anyway, with my MS, I need to get more organized, and wondered if an iPhone might help: I would have a cell phone; I could carry my calendar and to-do list with me; it would be pocket size. I already use an iPad. If not an iPhone, do you have any suggestions?

We got the older one, iPhone 4 because they were free at Verizon with a two year plan. Ds says the 4 and 4s aren't that different. Then there is the new one. We went with the older ones because we are new to this and they are great for us. I'm thinking the picture, the camera and the battery are newer in the 5 but we'd never know the difference. It also depends on how many movies and how much music you want to keep on the phone.

I have a regular cell phone for personal use, and an iPhone for work.

I have the 5. Siri bugs the heck out of me, so I pretend she doesn't exist.

What I like is the size. I'm pretty petite, and the 5 fits in my hand better than did the 4.

It feels lighter, too, but that could be my imagination LOL.

FWIW, I was plenty happy with my 4s and only upgraded to the 5 because my brother bought it for me. He knew the size would work better for my toddler-sized hands, and he thought I'd like the voice-to-text and Siri (both annoy me so I don't).

I'm sorry to hear of your mom's passing and your diagnosis. What wonderful news of your family visits, and upcoming grandbaby! Here's to continued blessings for you and yours.

We got the older one, iPhone 4 because they were free at Verizon with a two year plan. Ds says the 4 and 4s aren't that different. Then there is the new one. We went with the older ones because we are new to this and they are great for us. I'm thinking the picture, the camera and the battery are newer in the 5 but we'd never know the difference. It also depends on how many movies and how much music you want to keep on the phone.

I chose the 4s over the 4 because of the camera upgrades and the 16 meg of memory instead of just 8meg.

Samsungs are good phones, but since you already have an Apple product, it would be good to stick with Apple, imo.

I have an 8 mg iPhone 4s, never use Siri. The camera is awesome -- I gather it is a big upgrade from the iPhone 4 camera.

Besides calling, I use the phone for the calendars and to do list (the app with the yellow pad). It is tremendously helpful. I have pages for each store I go to -- when I visit Trader Joe's I can see my generic shopping list. I have another page with books I've heard about and want to get from the library. Another page with keywords so I can locate articles I've read in newspapers -- no more clipping.

I also love Safari, especially to look up a quick recipe while I am shopping -- no running back to the store for missing ingredients.

And the google map app helps me find my way before I miss a turn.

The camera (still & video) is always at hand, so I don't miss pix opportunities. I don't store a lot of pix on the phone, so 8 mg has been fine for me. (If I took & kept a lot of videos, I'd run out of room.)

I have a few songs, audiobooks and games for the kids. The phone plugs into my car's sound system.

Oh, and I have my email account that friends use, but I don't do any accounts that have orders or financial info.

I am not doing anything fancy or sophisticated, but the phone is a lifesaver!

ETA The sound on the phone is clear and has good volume control -- it is primarily a telephone, right?

I have the 4, free through Verizon (my mom and younger brother as well). My youngest brother has 4s, I do find Siri irritating on his phone. He needed more memory though. I would think it depends on what you really need it to do. If its just for a few apps, some browsing while out and about, phone calls, and a picture here and there the 4 would be fine. If you think Siri would help with your ms (voice to text) then get the 4s or 5. It really just depends on your needs.