Menu

Language arts overkill?

DragonFaerie

I need help. I have got way too much going on for language arts next year, but I can't seem to justify dropping anything. This is what I've got going:

GWG

Daily Language Arts

Killgallon

A weekly paper

Sequential Spelling

Wordly Wise

DS will be in 5th grade next fall. He's already doing the Daily Language Arts, so I'd like to keep going with it. Sequential Spelling is also working well, so we won't drop that. He needs extra work in writing, though he does NOT like it. I've been planning on having him write one paper per week which would be something for him to research, write, revise, and edit. I'm including the Killgallon for a little bit more structured curriculum for writing, and the Wordly Wise is obviously to help build his vocabulary. Then add in the GWG (which I like but he doesn't), and it seems like we've got language arts all dang day long. I thought about dumping everything and switching to Voyages in English, but I'm not sure that's enough writing (and I love how much diagramming is in GWG). Also, I already own everything except GWG, if that makes any difference. Help? Suggestions? Permission to drop something?

It does seem like a lot on the surface. However, you don't need to do each one every day of the week.

I dropped spelling in favor of vocab/roots with my DS starting in 5th grade.

Which Killgallon - elementary or middle school, sentence composing or grammar?

What has your DS used for composition/writing in the past? I wouldn't expect my DS in 5th grade to research and write a paper every week. IMO, I'd prefer fewer writing assignments done well and less frequently, rather than an approach where he whipped through a different paper every week. (Gently . . . If he already doesn't like writing, pulling back and/or changing approach might help more . . . it helped immensely with my previously writing-reluctant DS.)

I have no experience with Daily Language Arts. I don't know exactly what that covers or how long it should take.

Maybe you could do a block schedule type approach, where you do a couple of these LA areas for a few weeks or a month, then rotate?

You didn't mention it, but do you also have lit/reading time in his schedule?

Block scheduling definitely does not work. DS is the ultimate procrastinator. When I've tried block scheduling before, he literally got NOTHING done. At all. I think the Killgallon is Story Grammar for Elementary. As for the writing, it has only been 3 paragraph papers and I give him the topic (and often the topic sentence). He does a little bit of research on Monday, writes his rough draft on Tuesday, revises on Wednesday, edits on Thursday, and turns in the final paper on Friday. If we don't do that, then what is enough writing? And when should he start learning to write 3 paragraphs?

I don't think it sounds too bad. You probably don't have to do all of those programs every day, do you? Killgallon and paper writing could probably be alternated during the week (2 days for Killgallon, 3 days for the paper?). Could spelling and vocab be alternated as well?

Here is what we did for LA this year for fourth:

WWE4 and 1/2 of Killgallon sentence composing for elementary

Spalding spelling; prefix and suffix study

FLL4 and additional diagramming

MCT level 4 poetry

8 books for literature (discussion, some analysis, and extra writing projects)

It took about 2 hours a day altogether.

Off the bat, I'd say drop GWG. You're covering grammar in other ways and the kid doesn't like it. Why keep it?

I also personally think a paper a week is a lot for a fifth grader. Especially if there's research and revision and editing for every single one of them. I'd say write one a week but don't revise until the end of the month, at which point, pick one and really do a good job revising it.

GWG would be the first thing I'd axe. You already have a language course, and Killgallon covers even more grammar. The Killgallon book is short and won't last the whole year. I'd consider setting your main language course aside and hit the Killgallon harder. When it's done replace it with your Daily book.

The next thing I'd drop is the separate vocabulary, but I never saw much for actual proof that vocabulary courses increased my kids' vocabulary. If you really want separate vocab, perhaps try those free online games and set a timer? Like freerice.com or vocabulary.com.

Off the bat, I'd say drop GWG. You're covering grammar in other ways and the kid doesn't like it. Why keep it?

I also personally think a paper a week is a lot for a fifth grader. Especially if there's research and revision and editing for every single one of them. I'd say write one a week but don't revise until the end of the month, at which point, pick one and really do a good job revising it.

Thanks. This is a really good idea. I could have him research one day and write one day and do Killgallon on alternating days in between. Then after 3 papers (weeks), he could choose one paper to expand, revise and edit for week 4. I like the sound of that.

GWG would be the first thing I'd axe. You already have a language course, and Killgallon covers even more grammar. The Killgallon book is short and won't last the whole year. I'd consider setting your main language course aside and hit the Killgallon harder. When it's done replace it with your Daily book.

The next thing I'd drop is the separate vocabulary, but I never saw much for actual proof that vocabulary courses increased my kids' vocabulary. If you really want separate vocab, perhaps try those free online games and set a timer? Like freerice.com or vocabulary.com.

Thanks for the suggestions. The Daily Language Review only has five "problems" per day, usually two sentences to edit and correct and three various types of questions (analogies, choosing the right verb tense to fill in the sentence, etc.). Do you think this along with Killgallon is really enough grammar for 5th grade?

I don't think it sounds too bad. You probably don't have to do all of those programs every day, do you? Killgallon and paper writing could probably be alternated during the week (2 days for Killgallon, 3 days for the paper?). Could spelling and vocab be alternated as well?

The spelling is a progressive program, so I don't want to have him skip too many days. However, I usually only have him do it two days per week. Killgallon will also only be about three days per week. I really just want to make sure that I'm covering enough and have enough practice for him given that LA is his weak area. But I also don't want to overload it and make him really hate it.

Thanks for the suggestions. The Daily Language Review only has five "problems" per day, usually two sentences to edit and correct and three various types of questions (analogies, choosing the right verb tense to fill in the sentence, etc.). Do you think this along with Killgallon is really enough grammar for 5th grade?

Well, your description of DLR makes more sense. I'm not familiar with it.

If I had a fifth grader that really needed to focus on writing for awhile, I'd be more inclined to let grammar be light for the year to make more time for the writing. DLR would keep his grammar from getting rusty, and you can do a more rigorous grammar for sixth grade next year.

Or, if that plan didn't sit well with me, I'd drop DLR in favor of GWG. If you already know he hates GWG maybe try Hake instead.

Well, your description of DLR makes more sense. I'm not familiar with it.

If I had a fifth grader that really needed to focus on writing for awhile, I'd be more inclined to let grammar be light for the year to make more time for the writing. DLR would keep his grammar from getting rusty, and you can do a more rigorous grammar for sixth grade next year.

Or, if that plan didn't sit well with me, I'd drop DLR in favor of GWG. If you already know he hates GWG maybe try Hake instead.

Well, he likes DLR okay (probably because it's only five problems per day; LOL), so I'd hate to drop that, especially in exchange for something else that I'd need to buy. LOL Maybe I just need to wrap my head around the idea that it's okay to go light on grammar while we work on writing and start doing more with history and science this year. He also does a ton of math because that's his strong subject and he likes it

You've gotten some good advice here. I don't have a lot of time to reply, but I did want to suggest something that has worked very well for us here though, which is to integrate grammar instruction into writing. So, you can let him drop GWG, but you can surreptitiously lead him progressively through it, taking notes and working the concepts into his writing as they come up.