Menu

Thought I had next year figured out - but ugh science...ideas needed

atozmom

I sat down last night to make a general plan for DS next year. Had our science book in my lap to figure out how I want to schedule it and I just couldn't do it. I co-taught Apologia Zoo 1 at co-op last year with a friend. It went great. DS enjoyed learning and doing the activities with others. We never read directly from the text. My friend would summarize each lesson and I was in charge of all of the activities we did with each lesson. However, when I sat down to look at Zoo 2 and do the same thing for next year, but on our own and not with co-op, well.......I'm just not feeling the love.

I need something that will get done. Something without a whole lot of prep time on my part. (I work part-time outside of the home) It also needs to be engaging. Hands-on and experiments are fine as long as it doesn't take an hour to finish each science lesson. We are really going to be focusing heavily on language arts (with a great emphasis on writing this year) and math. I would love to only do science 2 days a week and history 2 days, so we can do them on alternating days. DS also needs information presented to him in small chunks. (ADD & Anxiety issues) Too much at one time and we will end up with a meltdown. Not because he doesn't want to do it, but because too much information at one time is overload for him.

So throw some ideas at me. Needs to be easy prep for me, involve hands-on activities that don't take forever, engaging and with information that can be presented in small chunks. We are Christian and would love to stick with a Christian curriculum, but I would be ok with something secular as long as I am not having to reteach to our beliefs. (ie: evolution) DS will be in 4th next year.

Thanks for any suggestions or ideas you can throw my way.

We did Elemental Science Logic Biology (LOVED) and Grammar Chemistry (MEH...) last year and they were good but....I thought I would LOVE it being independent but I just felt like it had too little involvement and I spent our Friday reviews reteaching pronunciation and the like (I have a BS in Botany and as MS in Forestry so science is my strong suit).

So, this we are going to step back and do insects and astronomy from MP...alternating with one on Monday and one on Friday and lots of outdoor time. I'll be doing it for 3rd, 4th & 7th at different levels for all.

Thank you to pineapplehorse and jillian for your responses. Bumping for the morning crowd.

Oh, and this is what we have done so far, as I don't really want to repeat again.

1st - Human Body with the My Body book and Usborne and other books (we will go into a more in depth study, but not till middle school)

2nd - Apologia Astronomy

3rd - Apologia Flying Creatures (birds and insects)

Third grade is when we've started doing the TOPS science units that use activity sheets (radishes [botany], electricity, magnetism). It does take some scrounging to assemble the various materials you need; but since all the TOPS units use basically the same things, once you've got your 'TOPS Box' of paper clips, straws, thread, rubber bands, paper cups, etc., you're pretty much good to go. It's hands-on and very doable by the student; the directions are clear, the experimental results are good, and the activities/experiments really convey the concepts.

For get it done, low prep science I,I'd recommend EM daily science. We use it as a spine and it so much more than a work book. I will come back later to explain how we use it asca spine when I am not trying to type on my tablet while nursing lol.

I'd love to hear about this!

I had originally planned to just use several usborne encyclopedias as a spine for 1st grade Bio, writing narrative pages on what we read and drawing from Janice Van Cleave lab texts for hands -on ideas. My problem? Prepping labs. I just never have the time! And if its not ready it won't get done. Then discovered Noeo science, which organizes readings from resources like Usborne's encyclopedias into lesson plans, provides reproducibles for notebook pages and lab sheets, and also (best part) provides lab kits that really do come with everything you need for each lab except some very basic household items (like paper towels). So we're using Bio 2 as it starts with microscopy (something I was excited to do) and it's been a huge hit with DS. (We began this spring to take advantage of warm weather.) I like that it's easy to adapt Noeo to my own ideas and plans (I'm a control-freak), but loooove that I have labs all set and Noeo's plans as a guideline. Has made planning and implementing so much easier. And since it involves writing/narration, my son is getting additional practice in those areas too.

Well, this isn't a curriculum but I put together some resources for my kids that involved things like living books, activities, and videos. I listed the books and activities in the order we did them. I have one on mammals, oceans, food chains, botany, and some others too. Pretty much only biology related though. You can see a links to the different studies on my blog. Just look on the left hand column under science studies. http://eclectic-homeschool.blogspot.ca/

HTH

Thanks for the responses everyone.

fairy4tmama looking forward to that explanation. Especially since I can't seem to remember what EM stand for. LOL ETA: I think I got it.....Evan-Moor?

After further thinking about it, I really need something right now that is just do the next thing, without having to track down a bunch of books from the library all year long. I know you can buy the entire set for things like NOEO, but that's just out of my price range right now. (single mom only working part time) I will look into Christian Kids Explore series again. I tried it with my daughter and we didn't stick with it. I can't remember now why that was since it was 5 or 6 years ago.

In my mind there is this wonderful science curriculum that covers a broad range of topics all in one year - a little Life Science, Earth Science, Physical Science - you get the picture. It is not very wordy and covers just the right amount of information. However, if you touch on a subject that your child really likes, you could explore more with other materials. It would have experiments or hands-on materials already scheduled in. There would be a written component (not over the top) that you could use if you choose. Oh, and it wouldn't cost a small fortune. I'm not asking for much really. :D :lol:

For get it done, low prep science I,I'd recommend EM daily science. We use it as a spine and it so much more than a work book. I will come back later to explain how we use it asca spine when I am not trying to type on my tablet while nursing lol.

And thank you for multi-tasking today. :001_smile: :001_smile:

Thanks for the responses everyone.

fairy4tmama looking forward to that explanation. Especially since I can't seem to remember what EM stand for. LOL ETA: I think I got it.....Evan-Moor?

After further thinking about it, I really need something right now that is just do the next thing, without having to track down a bunch of books from the library all year long. I know you can buy the entire set for things like NOEO, but that's just out of my price range right now. (single mom only working part time) I will look into Christian Kids Explore series again. I tried it with my daughter and we didn't stick with it. I can't remember now why that was since it was 5 or 6 years ago.

In my mind there is this wonderful science curriculum that covers a broad range of topics all in one year - a little Life Science, Earth Science, Physical Science - you get the picture. It is not very wordy and covers just the right amount of information. However, if you touch on a subject that your child really likes, you could explore more with other materials. It would have experiments or hands-on materials already scheduled in. There would be a written component (not over the top) that you could use if you choose. Oh, and it wouldn't cost a small fortune. I'm not asking for much really. :D :lol:

Maybe sonlight science?

We used ES biology and the earth and space and enjoyed them. Next year we are using Exploration Education which is physical science and I am really excited about it! Cd lesson kits for experiments and projects. Supplementing with Usborne encyclopedia of science.

Sonlight is out of my price range too. I have been looking into ES again though.

I really like the looks of Exploration Education, but again it's just too pricey. We would need the Intermediate Level - Standard and that's $122+.

Ok, so I said I would come back later to post about how we use EM Daily Science and it has taken me a good deal longer than I expected to get back here! If you are not familiar with the series you should know that the books are divided in to 6 Big Ideas and then broken down further into Weekly Questions. The real beauty of these books is the way in which the Weekly Questions illustrate the concept of the Big Idea.

We started using the 4th grade books some months ago and I am happily surprised by how well my kids are retaining what they have learned (I am also now using the 2nd grade book as well). So here is what Daily science looks like at our house.

For my 4th grader each day he reads the vocabulary and then the passage then depending on the page and what is applicable he does the following in his science journal (usually 2 sometimes 3 of these for any given day):

• Writes down the weekly question
  • Writes down the vocabulary words and their definitions
  • Copies and labels drawings or diagrams
  • Copies and fills in charts or graphs
  • Uses true/false, fill in the blank, put in order exercise, etc. as copy work
  • Answers discussion questions either orally or written in complete sentences. When the questions are such that they require him to guess because the material hasn’t yet been covered I make him write it in his journal and we talk about how science is not about always being right, its often about theorizing, finding out your wrong and continuing to search for the truth.
  • Narrate what he has learned.
  • Through out the week depending on how busy things are, what is assigned in other subjects, and what I have available on my bookshelves I will assign reading from one of our science encyclopedias, a living book or documentary. If I make an additional assignment such as these I have him write some notes, draw an picture or write a narration. One of the things I love about this is that if I do not assign any additional readings I really don’t feel bad.
  • Fridays page tends to be a review of the week so we often do that orally. Then he reviews the weeks journal entries, if he made any guesses he writes a sentence or two about whether or not he was right and why. If we find and errors (spelling, or grammar) he fixes them.

At the end of a big Idea (4 weeks worth of weekly questions) we review all the weekly questions by reading through the science journal together and discussing how the weekly questions and how they relate to the big idea. I usually have him do a few of the week five pages which are very test like mostly because I feel it is important to know how to take various kinds of tests even multiple choice and fill in the blank J. In week five there is a hands on activity related to the big idea we take them or leave them depending on our week and whether or not they seem worth while.

With my 2nd grader I am doing a lot more verbally but with an increasing use of a science journal. Before starting Daily Science we really struggled with doing science regularly or in a way that seem to have any kind of retention. I have used BFSU, Task Cards, and tried a strictly CM approach all with little success. I am really happy with the way Daily Science has helped us both get er done but also is helping my boys learn how to keep a science journal while getting an introduction to some basic science content.

Sorry it took me so long to get back here. I hope this helps someone! I am so grateful to Hunter for posting her ideas on using EMDS as a spine.

Ok, so I said I would come back later to post about how we use EM Daily Science and it has taken me a good deal longer than I expected to get back here! If you are not familiar with the series you should know that the books are divided in to 6 Big Ideas and then broken down further into Weekly Questions. The real beauty of these books is the way in which the Weekly Questions illustrate the concept of the Big Idea.

We started using the 4th grade books some months ago and I am happily surprised by how well my kids are retaining what they have learned (I am also now using the 2nd grade book as well). So here is what Daily science looks like at our house.

For my 4th grader each day he reads the vocabulary and then the passage then depending on the page and what is applicable he does the following in his science journal (usually 2 sometimes 3 of these for any given day):

• Writes down the weekly question
  • Writes down the vocabulary words and their definitions
  • Copies and labels drawings or diagrams
  • Copies and fills in charts or graphs
  • Uses true/false, fill in the blank, put in order exercise, etc. as copy work
  • Answers discussion questions either orally or written in complete sentences. When the questions are such that they require him to guess because the material hasn’t yet been covered I make him write it in his journal and we talk about how science is not about always being right, its often about theorizing, finding out your wrong and continuing to search for the truth.
  • Narrate what he has learned.
  • Through out the week depending on how busy things are, what is assigned in other subjects, and what I have available on my bookshelves I will assign reading from one of our science encyclopedias, a living book or documentary. If I make an additional assignment such as these I have him write some notes, draw an picture or write a narration. One of the things I love about this is that if I do not assign any additional readings I really don’t feel bad.
  • Fridays page tends to be a review of the week so we often do that orally. Then he reviews the weeks journal entries, if he made any guesses he writes a sentence or two about whether or not he was right and why. If we find and errors (spelling, or grammar) he fixes them.

At the end of a big Idea (4 weeks worth of weekly questions) we review all the weekly questions by reading through the science journal together and discussing how the weekly questions and how they relate to the big idea. I usually have him do a few of the week five pages which are very test like mostly because I feel it is important to know how to take various kinds of tests even multiple choice and fill in the blank J. In week five there is a hands on activity related to the big idea we take them or leave them depending on our week and whether or not they seem worth while.

With my 2nd grader I am doing a lot more verbally but with an increasing use of a science journal. Before starting Daily Science we really struggled with doing science regularly or in a way that seem to have any kind of retention. I have used BFSU, Task Cards, and tried a strictly CM approach all with little success. I am really happy with the way Daily Science has helped us both get er done but also is helping my boys learn how to keep a science journal while getting an introduction to some basic science content.

Sorry it took me so long to get back here. I hope this helps someone! I am so grateful to Hunter for posting her ideas on using EMDS as a spine.

Wow thank you for posting all of this!

No problem...

I meant to say EMDS really could fill this bill.

Good Luck