Menu

Choosing Year 4 History

I have a rising 4th grader and 1st grader. We completed SOW for year1 and year 2 and then switched to BF for year 3. Any suggestions on what we should do for year 4? Thinking my kids are a bit young to discuss the topics in year 4 yet... don't really wanna go there.

Any suggestions would be great. Looking for biblical worldview.

Thanks

I think a lot of people skip year 4 the first year round. I've seen on other threads a lot of people either going back to ancients or doing a year of US (or wherever they are) history or world geography. You would of course have limit your US history to before the bits you want to avoid.

A year of Geography might be a good filler. If you want open & go, Rod & Staff and CLE both have good Geography textbooks at the 4th grade level. MFW has an Exploring Countries and Cultures curriculum and Winterpromise has a similar one called Children Around the World.

If you happen to change your mind about studying the Modern Era, I can recommend the K12 online history program. I prefer it to SOTW because it is less detailed and more thematic in approach. It's suitable for 4th graders as well as younger children. It does go into the wars but at a very high level and I think appropriately handled for the age group. It is secular however. Here's a sample online lesson.

I would do what parts of year 4 you are comfortable with and suppliment with geography.

This might be what we do for our first year 4 rotation. My son is very tenderhearted as am I. We might both be bawling like babies. That said, I still want him to have a basic overview and account of what's happening, perhaps just not as in depth. So, we plan to do more geography this year as well. That's all. :)

This might be what we do for our first year 4 rotation. My son is very tenderhearted as am I. We might both be bawling like babies. That said, I still want him to have a basic overview and account of what's happening, perhaps just not as in depth. So, we plan to do more geography this year as well. That's all. :)

My children and I are very sensitive to some issues such as violence and so I try to avoid it as much as possible, which really limits history. I have to paraphrase a lot of Bible and history stories. My eldest is going into grade 4, so I am thinking of doing a year of geography and mild Australian History (we live in Australia and we haven't really looked into much of Aus History yet).

We would have done SOTW 4 this year, but I skipped it in lieu of the following:

- more U.S. history first semester. We studied the Lewis and Clark expedition in more detail, as well as westward expansion and did a pretty good size Civil War study.

- California history second semester.