Menu

Homeschool convention at home?? How to do it?

So, I can't get out to the conventions this year but I was hoping that there were internet sites or mp3 downloads or youtube videos that would be kinda like going. I have a range of ages (14, 8 & 3) so I'd be interested in almost anything.

What do you recommend?

FYI: I'm sure this has been discussed before but I didn't know what key words to use to search the hive.

TIA!

I feel like my home practically IS a curriculum fair. Now I just need to convince SWB to stop in for tea-- instant home convention. No controversies over whether she is <fill in your controversial criterion of choice> enough, I promise. We're classical, mostly secular homeschoolers who happen to also be Christians, but we're very inclusive toward how other people think and live their lives.

Hah!

I feel like my home practically IS a curriculum fair. Now I just need to convince SWB to stop in for tea-- instant home convention. No controversies over whether she is <fill in your controversial criterion of choice> enough, I promise. We're classical, mostly secular homeschoolers who happen to also be Christians, but we're very inclusive toward how other people think and live their lives.

Hah!

I would come to your convention. :)

OP, if you are looking for inspiration, I've enjoyed Andrew Kern's free talks, which you can find on the Circe Institute site. It's not everyone's cup of tea, but I heart him.

I took a night away from DH and the kids, and stayed by myself in a hotel. I loaded up my MP3 player with lectures from SWB, took a couple of books I'd been wanting to read, my curriculum, laptop and calendar, and spent some time planning, listening, praying, and relaxing. It was wonderful!

I took a night away from DH and the kids, and stayed by myself in a hotel. I loaded up my MP3 player with lectures from SWB, took a couple of books I'd been wanting to read, my curriculum, laptop and calendar, and spent some time planning, listening, praying, and relaxing. It was wonderful!

That sounds fun!!! Add in a friend to go with me and I'd be set!

I would come to your convention. :)

OP, if you are looking for inspiration, I've enjoyed Andrew Kern's free talks, which you can find on the Circe Institute site. It's not everyone's cup of tea, but I heart him.

Can you link the lectures? When I try to find them I get error messages.

Sounds heavenly. Unlike the previous poster, I would prefer alone time. If a friend came I would get nothing done.

I have enjoyed some of lectures on the IEW site this summer. Perhaps some time alone to listen to some lectures of your choice, some indulgent treats, your favorite beverage, and uninterrupted time to peruse online samples would do the trick. I would take notes of pros and cons of different curricula as you do so. I spend lots of time reminding myself of why I passed on a program, and good notes would help.

Here is how I did it one year.

I purchased mp3's from IEW and SWB, and kept a list of things I wanted to research online. I bought some food that was quick to grab and eat, so I wouldn't have to spend time making lunch and dinner. I also wrote out a list of cleaning chores I wanted the girls to do. After the chores were completed, they were allowed to play. The kids actually loved the idea, and said it was like when pioneer kids had to clean the one room schoolhouses. :laugh:

I think I ran to Starbucks in the morning, and brought a drink home, which is something I would not normally do. I really enjoyed the day, and so did my kids.

My dh would support me in going to a hotel for a night alone to plan, but I think I'd end up missing my family. :001_rolleyes:

Can you link the lectures? When I try to find them I get error messages.

Sounds heavenly. Unlike the previous poster, I would prefer alone time. If a friend came I would get nothing done.

I wholeheartedly agree with you! I have YOUNG children, and I love the alone time.

Currclick is hosting a free "Can't Make it to Convention" event from June 24th-29th. It sounds pretty good :)

"Can't make it to a homeschool convention this summer? How does a stay-at-home one with no hotel costs sound? And what if we tell you it's totally free WITH an awesome goodie bag full of freebies?

June 24th

7-8:00 p.m: Charlotte Mason Style Homeschooling

8:00-9:00 p.m: Living Math

June 25th

7:00-7:00 p.m: Lapbooking with All Subjects

7:30-8:00 p.m: The Most Important Concept in Science Education

8:00-9:00 p.m: No More Cookie Cutter Education

June 26th

7:00-8:00 p.m: Helping Students Create Relationships with the Books They Read

8:00-9:00 p.m: How to Teach Homeschool Science

June 27th

7:00-7:30 p.m: How to Keep your Homeschool Afloat, When Your Life is Sinking

7:30-8:00 p.m: NO MORE TEARS with Multi-sensory Interactive MATH!

8:00-9:00 p.m: Creative Nature Study

June 28th

7:00-8:00 p.m: Social Sciences in High School (Psychology, Sociology)

8:00-9:00 p.m: A Powerful High School Transcript

*We'll be posting a list of speakers and speaker bios soon!"