Menu

Lively Latin doesn't look right, what now?

Smithie

I wanted to love the Big Book of Lively Latin. I really did. But I finally purchased, and I just don't like how it looks. I don't think my kids (4th and 2nd grades) will enjoy it either. I want to get something else.

My eldest did Song School Latin in kindy and Minimus in 1st grade, before spending two year in public school. The second grader has never done Latin. We'd strongly prefer a secular program, or I'd get Latina Christiana. What do you think? Revisit Mimumus with the older kid and then have them move on to Mimimus Secundus? Ecce Romani? Just drop it for a year or so until more secondary level grammar-translation curricula open up to us?

BTW, if you think I'm dead wrong about the Big Book and a kid who loved Minimus in 1st grade will dive right in and be thrilled with BBLL1 in 4th grade, speak up!

Getting started with Latin for the younger and galore park for the older?

4th grade is really young for Galore Park - I usually recommend age 10 as the very youngest, because the programme ramps up fast. For comparison, Hobbes' school uses it with 10yo, but does it at half speed.

L

Michele, I think for a 7th grader it would be OK. But for 4th grade, it just seems too dry. Ditto for the videos - they are highly competent, but not very engaging for the younger set IMO.

I think we're going to work through Minimus, which is not going to take them long, and come back to the issue in November or so. I may decide to suck it up and use Latina Christiana. We use lots of Christian-influenced curriculum, but those Memoria Press folks are pretty gung-ho.

Fourth grade is pretty much spot on for Lively Latin 1; that is the target age group for it-- my boys both loved it in fourth grade. I have a thread on here somewhere with a suggested schedule and even a print scheme if you want to print it double-sided and have all the stuff together like history and lessons and such the way she suggests. It only takes a few minutes per day, even when doing the chants and things-- maybe 10 or 15.

I do think Lively Latin 1 would be a bit much for a second grader, particularly with all of the grammar.

Although I am a primarily secular homeschooler, I did start my younger in Prima Latina in third grade, and it hit about the right difficulty- maybe a little easy. I did not make him memorize the prayers, and yes, he will learn plenty of words and phrases about Glory to God etc, but that's okay; there is plenty of religious text to translate that happens to be related to religious traditions, so it makes sense to have some in that context (and although we are secular homeschoolers, we aren't allergic to religious content). We just toned it down by not memorizing all the prayers. It was a decent third grade program, then we moved younger to LL in fourth grade.

• 2 months later...

I am glad it has worked for you. My son did 1/2 of LL in 4th, the second 1/2 in 5th and then we did the whole thing again without the history lessons in 6th. Then in 7th he moved on to LL2.

I redid LL1 because I was told by other folks that LL2 is more challenging than LL1. It was a good choice for us. By the time we moved on to LL2 he was well prepared.