Menu

Give me some ideas - 1st & 3rd grades

So this year I have done 3 different HOD guides with my girls. It has been busy and tiring. :) I plan to move my oldest forward into Preparing this fall. However, I am completely undecided what to do with my next two daughters this fall.

I am not sure my 6 (will be 7 in Oct) year-old will be ready for Beyond. I am not sure I am ready to repeat Bigger with my 8 (will be 9 in Oct) year-old daughter.

Is there something I could use with them together for history & science? I plan to continue with R&S Spelling, R&S English, and CLE Math with them.

I used MFW the first 4 years and HOD this year so I've really not ever explored anything beyond those two things and I feel very overwhelmed looking at what else is out there!

We are using Story of the World 2: Middle Ages for 1st and 3rd next year. We did Ancients this year and they both loved it. For science we used Building Foundations of Scientific Understanding. They enjoyed it, but it was a lot of prep work and with a new baby coming, I want something for next year that is a little easier for me. We are going to use edeemarie's Earth Science and Astronomy plans. http://waterontheflo...ienceastronomy/ .

So this year I have done 3 different HOD guides with my girls. It has been busy and tiring. :) I plan to move my oldest forward into Preparing this fall. However, I am completely undecided what to do with my next two daughters this fall.

I am not sure my 6 (will be 7 in Oct) year-old will be ready for Beyond. I am not sure I am ready to repeat Bigger with my 8 (will be 9 in Oct) year-old daughter.

Is there something I could use with them together for history & science? I plan to continue with R&S Spelling, R&S English, and CLE Math with them.

I used MFW the first 4 years and HOD this year so I've really not ever explored anything beyond those two things and I feel very overwhelmed looking at what else is out there!

What did you use from MFW? MFW is truly the only CM curriculum I have found where you can combine your children easily all the way/most of the way through. I have a 3 year spread and it is horribly difficult to combine them at all. Even when I do, they tend to do different levels. If you liked MFW, maybe you should try that again, if not, what year in history are you wanting to do (ie Ancients, modern etc)? Some of the curriculum recommendations will depend on that.

For Science, I love Apologia, and for your kiddos, it is SOOOO easy to combine. Pick a book and dive in! :) You can also combine using Real Science For Kids, just order two different lab books and you're set.

HTH!

Oh, one more thought, Galloping the Globe might be a good choice for you next year. It is Geography and Science. Both my girls loved it and your girls are at the perfect age! Check it out and see what you think.

http://www.home-school-curriculum.com/product/galloping-the-globe-now-with-cd-rom

What did you use from MFW? MFW is truly the only CM curriculum I have found where you can combine your children easily all the way/most of the way through. I have a 3 year spread and it is horribly difficult to combine them at all. Even when I do, they tend to do different levels. If you liked MFW, maybe you should try that again, if not, what year in history are you wanting to do (ie Ancients, modern etc)? Some of the curriculum recommendations will depend on that.

For Science, I love Apologia, and for your kiddos, it is SOOOO easy to combine. Pick a book and dive in! :) You can also combine using Real Science For Kids, just order two different lab books and you're set.

HTH!

Oh, one more thought, Galloping the Globe might be a good choice for you next year. It is Geography and Science. Both my girls loved it and your girls are at the perfect age! Check it out and see what you think.

http://www.home-scho...now-with-cd-rom

Thank you both for the comments. :)

We used MFW from K through ECC. We liked K & 1st a lot but began to dislike Adv and then we really didn't like ECC. Not sure if we went back if it would work better for us now or not.

I have heard of teh SOTW and Galloping the Globe before - maybe I'll look into those. :) Thanks!

I haven't used HOD or MFW before. But I *have* used SOTW successfully with my 2 dds (who will be in Gr. 1 & 3 next year), and plan to continue using SOTW with them.

I am also using BFSU, along with some TOPS science, for combined science. As a pp mentioned, BFSU *can* feel like a lot of prep work; however, I haven't found anything that I like better for science.

I would look at WinterPromise American Story 1 and pick a WinterPromise science- maybe their new Dinosaur Days or Hoot and Chirp. Maybe you could even eliminate the art/crafts and read-aloud titles in Animals and Their Worlds and use that for science. I did that for my third grader in the school year just ending.

Thank you both for the comments. :)

We used MFW from K through ECC. We liked K & 1st a lot but began to dislike Adv and then we really didn't like ECC. Not sure if we went back if it would work better for us now or not.

I have heard of teh SOTW and Galloping the Globe before - maybe I'll look into those. :) Thanks!

I didn't like ECC either, but I didn't know if you had tried Adventures or not. We used MFW out of order. Started with EX-1850, used 1850-Mod and then, when we tried ECC we were so disappointed! I think your girls are a little young to start MFW again. I know there are those that will disagree with me, but MFW is better when started in 4th or 5th grade. Just my opinion, of course.

Another free history plan for your girl's ages is Guesthollow.com http://www.guesthollow.com/homeschool/curriculum.html I've used her for book ideas and scheduling.

Blessings!