Menu

Getting Started With Latin

jmomma1203

We used GSWL with our DD, starting in third grade, and it was a HUGE hit. She and I both loved it! I will be starting it with our DS1 this summer. I really felt like it introduced a lot of grammar and gave DD a solid Latin foundation. (She then transitioned easily to Latin's Not So Tough, Level 3; Level 3 has no grammar that GSWL didn't have, but it does have some vocabulary.)

I used GSWL with my 2nd and 3rd graders. They both did pretty well with it. My son will do First Form Latin next year for 4th grade. I'm not sure what I'll have my daughter do for 3rd grade. Once I get the FFL and have a chance to look at it, I may have her do it at a slower pace than her brother. She liked GSWL, and did great learning the new words, but struggled more with the grammar than my son did. It had not been my intent to have her do Latin at all this year, but she really wanted to, so I let her tag along. I think its a great program to start around 3rd grade, especially if your child already has a decent foundation in grammar.

We are currently using it with dd7 and ds9. If it were just for dd7 I am not sure I would use it (Song School Latin is great for very young children), but she has still done much better than I anticipated. We do about 3 lessons a week and 1 day a week we go through flashcards I made of the vocabulary words. So if you slow it down to the pace of your children I think it would be a great intro.

I am going to use it this coming year. We did Getting Started with Spanish this year (started halfway through the year to supp the RS).. anyway it was great! But DD9 wants to go back to Latin. We did Song School Latin in 2nd grade and it was a little easy but she loved(s) the songs. I would recommend SSL if they can write a little (all the words are dotted in to trace) maybe 1st, then SSL2 in 2nd and GSWL in 3rd.. then.. well, we haven't got that far but I have all next year to research=D