Menu

The Odds of Getting in Shape

This is what I don't get. Why? Why, the animosity toward people who are fit and/or working to be fit? Why, be irritated at a woman who has never been overweight? Whatever the reason is for her never having been overweight it has nothing to do with you. It's not like her goal was to never be overweight just to make you look bad.

I have no animosity toward her. I love her to pieces. She's no longer my SIL, but let me assure you, I'd rather have kept her than my BIL, who is a jerk. It was simply a joke. I think you're taking it too personally and too seriously. I'm sorry you've had problems, but I honestly have no animosity towards you or anyone else who happens to be naturally thin. I wish I had those genes, but instead, I have to work hard. My SIL can eat nothing but banana splits for a week and probably not gain an ounce. It's just how she is. It doesn't bother me, nor do I think she'd trying to be thin to make me look bad. Seriously, it was a joke.

This is what I don't get. Why? Why, the animosity toward people who are fit and/or working to be fit? Why, be irritated at a woman who has never been overweight? Whatever the reason is for her never having been overweight it has nothing to do with you. It's not like her goal was to never be overweight just to make you look bad.

Their fitness goals and activity level is about *them*. They are getting fit. What is there to hate for that? Why not take another mindset and be encouraged by them? Be glad for them.

This is a sore spot for me. I have never been overweight. (In fact at times I've struggled with being underweight.) Let me tell you the amount of meanness, aggression, rudeness, and hate thrown my way for not being overweight is astounding. I love being fit. It's a top priority in my life. Fitness is fun and interesting for me, yet boy oh boy, if I actually try to talk about it in any way I'm cut down swiftly by nasty comments from women who are not as fit as they would like to be. Why? It's not my fault they are not happy with their fitness level and/or body image. Yet, I am like a scapegoat for all that's wrong with society demanding women be skinny just because I am skinny. GRRRR!

(BTW, I'm not yelling at you or anything. I just want you to think about your post and ask why you have negative feelings towards others who live a fit lifestyle)

Fwiw, I've always been a normal weight and don't struggle with it (although I do workout and eat relatively healthy), and I didn't take her comment that way. I think she was trying to insert some humor, and I could tell by the rest of the post that she loves her sil and is happy for her. And, yes, I have heard some mean comments, but there was no hate here, imho.

That's why I posted that I was not angry in anyway. Even as a joke it often hurts women. I wanted to point that out.

"You can eat anything you want. You suck. Haha."

"You're so thin. It's disgusting. Haha."

"You've had three babies and look like that? Sickening. Haha"

"What do you weigh like 80 lbs? B!tch. Haha."

Now, flip it around and see if it still feels like a joke.

"You can't eat anything you want. You suck. Haha."

You're so fat. It's disgusting. Haha."

"What do you weigh like 380 lbs? Haha."

Again, my point is that even if you are joking it can still hurt. Just because you laugh at the end of the statement doesn't make the comment nicer. Just because you say it was a joke doesn't mean that it doesn't sting.

Saying, "I kind of hate them for it," is just not nice. Even if the person you are talking about knows you like them such comments bite. Trust me. They do. It would be better to say, "My in-laws run and bike all the time. Good for them."

This is obviously a soapbox issue for me because I always always hear, "I'm just joking."

Regarding the weight, be sure to measure yourself (arms, thighs, calves, waist, stomach, hips, everything) before you start and then about once a month. You may find initially that your weight number isn't changing much but you are losing inches as you lose fat and gain muscle, so don't get discouraged if the scales don't move a lot initially.

:iagree: :iagree: :iagree: I've a friend who is a trainer. she's always been a good weight. when she started training, she GAINED 20 lbs- but she lost TWO dress sizes. muscle has 1/3 the volume of fat.

This is obviously a soapbox issue for me because I always always hear, "I'm just joking."

I'm of the mind that if you have to tell someone it was a joke - the joke fell flat on it's face and wasn't funny.

I didn't even start getting into shape until I was 40, 2 years ago. I lost 20 lbs., started running a couch to 5K program, lost some more, ran my first 5K, a couple months later ran an 8k trail run, lost some more, and decided to train for triathlons. I am now 45lbs lighter, and have completed 6 sprint triathlons. I continue running 5 and 8k races to keep in shape off of triathlon season. I am in the best shape of my life. You can definitely do it!

I got into the best shape of my life a couple of years ago when I was 40. I was working out with a trainer a few times a week and running, etc. I was super toned and skinnier than I've been since my late 20s (although I've never technically been overweight). So, yes, it can be done!

Unfortunately, I really HATE working out, so when my trainer moved away, I stopped working out. (I did try another trainer, but she was not effective, so I fired her.). Now I've gained 10 lbs. and have lost all of that muscle. Sigh... I'm 44 now and trying to decide if it is worth all of that trouble. I'm trying to get motivated to do it again. I know that I won't stick with it forever, but I'd like to give it one more go before I turn 50. After that, I think I'll feel more comfortable just letting things go where they are meant to. LOL!

Good luck to you!