Menu

What is MOTL lax on?

I'm looking into MOTL (Math on the Level), and was wondering what its weak spots are.

How is it at:

Introducing the concept?

Mastering the concept?

Drills?

Word Problems?

Thinking outside the box/creative-different views?

Anything else?

For areas it is weak on, what would you suggest would be a good math supplement/curricula/resource/whatever to cover that area?

I know most curricula in math have their strong areas, and their weak areas, hence why a lot of people on here use multiple programs. I thought I could find out, and hoping that whatever areas its short on, what people suggest hopefully will be something I already have, lol.

Thanks!

I have only ever looked at the samples on their website and been to an online seminar, I love the idea/concept and if I had the money, I would probably splurge on something like it just to get a good look at it, but here is what I undestand it to be lax on:

Worksheets:

Well, I understand that there are no/few worksheets or drills. I would recommend either Math Mammoth topical units for drill/practice or some standard workbooks, depending on how much practice you think that the kids would need. I know their "5 a day" idea, but I don't think that they include a pool from which to draw those 5 problems a day. So I think you'd have to come up with them, also there are few scripted word problems, but the idea is that you'd encounter them in the way that your present the lessons.

Drill:

They sell what they call '9 Downs' to master math facts from 0 to 9, but that is all that I know of.

Word Problems:

I don't think that they include any sort of scripted word problems, but I do love the idea behind the "Math Adventures" book. That you sort of 'ease' the child into the concept intentionally before you introduce it formally.

Introducing and Mastering the concept is really going to hinge alot on the teacher, it is more of a guide book for mom/dad and NOT a traditional textbook, that is what I understand. I don't think the books are meant to be sat before a child/student, rather a parent is supposed to read the book and go from there.

I can see it needing a lot of supplementation just for worksheets at some point.

Now, I have known of this curriculum for a few years now and I would still love to own it, Kitchen Table Math or something comparative. (Who am I kidding? I'd be thrilled to own them both!) But I can see the teacher themselves being the make or break feature of this curriculum which is one of the reasons why I didn't get it. I don't yet feel worthy/able to use it.

I think that if I went with MoTL, I would get something like a Big Book of Math Drills followed by possibly the Green or Gold Math Mammoth sheets when it was time to move there...

Thanks for the reply. Its helped a lot.

As I come across weak areas (I'm searching through posts on various forums now), Ill write it down here, which can allow people to comment back if they have found it different or have resources for that area:

Weak In:

- Graphing. Apparently you would need to do a unit on graphs

If It were cheaper, I would have bought MOTL a LONG time ago. I use Arithmetic Made Simple in a way that I am assuming is like MOTL. Back in the 90s when I used this text, I used whatever drill workbooks I could find at a local teacher supply store, but now I'm using Strayer-Upton for extra problems.

I think MOTL would be a lot more popular if it were cheaper.

For lower level students I use Simply Charlotte Mason Mathematics and How to Tutor, before I start AMS.

Thanks Hunter.

I managed to Nab it second-hand (not sure I would of thought about it otherwise...even though I've spent a similar amount on math on another program), I'm figuring it does what I currently do....just more organized, rofl, which is what I need....because I have no idea what's going on :p

I have HTT coming too!

We currently do more life learning maths. I have lots of math curricula here I may sell, and others I will definitely mostly keep. I probably have your dream math haven rofl (I don't even want to think about the math curricula currently in my posession). I'm just trying to figure out what stuff I can incorporate or use, and what stuff needs to go.

I'm not sure whether I'll do the rest (we've just begun) of RS A, and jump over to MOTL after that, or incorporate starts/ideas from RS as pre-motl, then begin, or just skip the rest. Rightstart we will definitely mostly be keeping (if I sell anything, it will just be the teachers guide to Lvl A. I have Activities for the AL+Worksheets, so I can do without the levels, an just pull from that when I want with MOTL)

My good days consist of incorporating math into whatever we are doing (be it art, cooking, handcrafts, cleaning etc) my "bad" days (i.e. CFS plays up or I'm just lazy) it consists of giving Atlas blank fact strips ( _+_=_ , _-_=_, _x_=_) and letting her come up with her own math problems, then she hands me the completed strips :p The two youngers on bad days involve opening the teacher cupboard (where math manips are stored) and letting them "have at it". lol. It would be nice to have a more organized approach like this.....but I do like math programs.....I may have to go to a Mathaholics meeting to give up all my curricula. I'll probably keep one very very simple basic, can do in 2 minutes math book alongside it, so it touches upon the silly standards, I just haven't decided which one that is....lol.

Perhaps I should just list the gazillion and one programs and resources I have, and people can tell me whether they are useful or not alongside MOTL, and which one would be best as a graded basics keeper (once they pass a certain area, the basics one will probably be something like TT or Chalkdust, unless I continue with the Amish stuff upto 8th, or maybe both TT & Amish? see....I'm useless. ROFL. I know MOTL will be best for us, just need someone to help me decide what to keep, and what to let go.....:( Sad Panda)

It sounds like you already got a copy of MOTL, but I want to clarify for others interested in MOTL that are reading this thread that 5-a-days are included at the back of each of the books.

I attended the seminar she had recently. One thing I would recommend if you got it used and plan on using it in your home is to buy the support package they sell. It has a planning spreadsheet that takes most of the work out of record keeping/putting together the 5-a-day sheets.

in my opinion, what it is lacking is the structure I needed. I like how you can tweak it to your kids...but it was just way too much work for my interest. If you have the desire and the time to give to making it work, it is probably a good program...but I tired it and after less than a month, I gave up and sold it.

However, one thing I LOVED was the 9's down drill sheets. I liked how they started with the hard problems (x9's) instead of the easy ones...so the kids got the most pratice with the harder numbers.

I have only ever looked at the samples on their website and been to an online seminar, I love the idea/concept and if I had the money, I would probably splurge on something like it just to get a good look at it, but here is what I undestand it to be lax on:

Worksheets:

Well, I understand that there are no/few worksheets or drills. I would recommend either Math Mammoth topical units for drill/practice or some standard workbooks, depending on how much practice you think that the kids would need. I know their "5 a day" idea, but I don't think that they include a pool from which to draw those 5 problems a day. So I think you'd have to come up with them, also there are few scripted word problems, but the idea is that you'd encounter them in the way that your present the lessons.

Drill:

They sell what they call '9 Downs' to master math facts from 0 to 9, but that is all that I know of.

Word Problems:

I don't think that they include any sort of scripted word problems, but I do love the idea behind the "Math Adventures" book. That you sort of 'ease' the child into the concept intentionally before you introduce it formally.

Introducing and Mastering the concept is really going to hinge alot on the teacher, it is more of a guide book for mom/dad and NOT a traditional textbook, that is what I understand. I don't think the books are meant to be sat before a child/student, rather a parent is supposed to read the book and go from there.

I can see it needing a lot of supplementation just for worksheets at some point.

Now, I have known of this curriculum for a few years now and I would still love to own it, Kitchen Table Math or something comparative. (Who am I kidding? I'd be thrilled to own them both!) But I can see the teacher themselves being the make or break feature of this curriculum which is one of the reasons why I didn't get it. I don't yet feel worthy/able to use it.

I think that if I went with MoTL, I would get something like a Big Book of Math Drills followed by possibly the Green or Gold Math Mammoth sheets when it was time to move there...

There is a pool of problems for creating the 5-a-day practice sheets. At the back of each teacher handbook there are problems and answers to pull from. In the lower levels though, it's far easier for me to construct my own I can create a 3-digit addition problem with regrouping faster than I can look it up, kwim?

The 9s down math fact practice is great, I like the theory behind it. Unfortunately, it means that you can't use other drill sheets that you might have or print from the internet because they mix in the lower facts that are presumed known. It's not been a big deal. We've struggled to drill enough fact practice. It's a student problem though, not a MOTL problem.

There are no sample word problems. The idea is that you experience real life math and you don't have to read a word problem to get it. I suppose, if your child will have to be tested you might want to practice word problems. However, I think if they've encountered the math in real life, they won't struggle with word problems.

I haven't needed any kind of supplementation in the way of worksheets. We chose the curriculum because my kids HATE worksheets and drill and kill and the 5-a-day is just right. They practice what htey need to and we don't think about it again until tomorrow. Remember that you don't add the concept to their 5-a-day until you have introduced and worked with them to a level that you think they can attempt it without you walking them through it. It doesn't mean they won't make some careless mistakes, but by the time they see it on 5-a-day, they've got the idea so they don't need 20 practice problems.

The teacher is the absolute make or break on this curriculum. If you aren't confident in your ability to introduce new concepts (they have ideas and guidelines and explain it to you in your book) or confident in your ability to judge whether they are understanding what you teach, this is not the curriculum for you. You also have to be able to keep simple records and be disciplined enough to write out a new 5-a-day each day.

It sounds like you already got a copy of MOTL, but I want to clarify for others interested in MOTL that are reading this thread that 5-a-days are included at the back of each of the books.

I attended the seminar she had recently. One thing I would recommend if you got it used and plan on using it in your home is to buy the support package they sell. It has a planning spreadsheet that takes most of the work out of record keeping/putting together the 5-a-day sheets.

The planning spreadsheet is an ENORMOUS file and crashed my iMac in the transition to Numbers. My husband spent 90 minutes writing an app for me to use to track progress. Once I got that up and running, it was much easier to use.

in my opinion, what it is lacking is the structure I needed. I like how you can tweak it to your kids...but it was just way too much work for my interest. If you have the desire and the time to give to making it work, it is probably a good program...but I tired it and after less than a month, I gave up and sold it.

However, one thing I LOVED was the 9's down drill sheets. I liked how they started with the hard problems (x9's) instead of the easy ones...so the kids got the most pratice with the harder numbers.

We struggled with structure too. I found myself forgetting to prepare the 5-a-days in advance and then my kids were waiting on me. I also felt paralyzed by choice on what to introduce next. I've got math-minded kids who need to be challenged and they move a lot faster through the list of concepts than I was prepared for. Yea! but also, a lot of prep work for me. :-)

Overall, we're using a combined approach between Life of Fred because it is fun and MOTL. LOF introduces concepts and then I add them to the 5-a-day as necessary.