Menu

Online Doctorate?

eaglei

Is it possible to earn a doctorate degree online through a reputable university in some area of science and, not have to matriculate on campus for any portion of it? Dh keeps telling me no . . . Though I'd ask the Hive . . .

No, there really isn't. I mean, I get spam and facebook ads all the time saying that I can earn a doctorate online (thanks, I already have one), but those are diploma mills and the degree is not worth the paper it's printed on. In the sciences, particularly, graduate school is usually like an apprenticeship. The coursework is the least important part. The important part is spending long, long hours in someone's lab, first learning through assisting them with their research and then conducting your own.

Can you tell us what your goals would be in doing this? It might help our answers be more usefully applicable.

In some fields, yes. Obviously in science requiring lab work, not that I know of. They need to know that you are truly doing the labs and mastering the techniques.

Some PhD programs can be partially online, and partially done in weekend seminars. I've never heard of a science one though.

No, there really isn't. I mean, I get spam and facebook ads all the time saying that I can earn a doctorate online (thanks, I already have one), but those are diploma mills and the degree is not worth the paper it's printed on. In the sciences, particularly, graduate school is usually like an apprenticeship. The coursework is the least important part. The important part is spending long, long hours in someone's lab, first learning through assisting them with their research and then conducting your own.

Can you tell us what your goals would be in doing this? It might help our answers be more usefully applicable.

This is pretty much what dh says. I wasn't asking for me - I am definitely not a science person! Dh is. He is SO smart and has an MS degree and tons of real life experience but I'd love to see him get the PhD to improve his employability. Right now we are struggling so much and the changes that O-care is mandating have negatively impacted his job so right now we are facing even more serious difficulties.

When I see how much the young whippersnappers DON'T know and have NEVER worked in the real world (from K to grade school to HS to college to MS to PhD to teaching) but because they hold a PhD their jobs are secure and their salaries much better, it's frustrating. Dh has to tell them about their own fields because they just.don't.know the material, the equipment, even basic stuff. Thanks to O-care, however, he won't be there to answer their questions anymore . . .

I'm feeling kinda down this morning and will probably regret posting this later on and might just delete it. I don't know . . .