Menu

Senior year math...what if...

my 17yod spent the summer reviewing Alg. 2/Geometry using timed tests and such? I plan on using Chalk Dust's SAT Review starting in August. With this plan, what if my dd took the CLEP in September for College Algebra which would free up her senior year for Statistics (need to decide between CD and PA Homeschoolers...one I get to keep all the materials for future kids, the other I'm out everything but the book and an AP exam).

Good idea? Horrible?

Sick of me posting yet? :)

Is she going to do self study for College Algebra before the clep? College Algebra is NOT a repeat of Algebra 2.

There is a Math for College Students that is a review of Algebra 1 and 2... but it is not for college credit except in a very few absolutely non-mathy majors (my oldest dd took it for her photography degree).

College Algebra is Algebra 3 and is more advance than Algebra 2.

eta - forgive my typing it is hard to do with one hand!

Is she going to do self study for College Algebra before the clep?
Sorry...yes to this question. Based on what I've read here of what other students have done to prepare, the goal is for her to self-study and take the CLEP.

I need to slow down and think about my wording in posts. :)

Sorry...yes to this question. Based on what I've read here of what other students have done to prepare, the goal is for her to self-study and take the CLEP.

I still don't understand: when is she going to self study, if she wants to spend the summer reviewing earlier courses?

College algebra is a one semester college course, so she needs to plan for sufficient time for her self-study - but you mentioned taking the exam in September. ???

I agree.

If she has a solid foundation in alg 2/geom, she could spend the summer doing college algebra. If she does not have a solid foundation in alg 2/geom, she should shore that up first, but that will not leave time for her to do college algebra. As others have already said, college algebra is NOT just algebra 2!

wanted to chime in with my oldest daughter's college algebra clep. she got a passing grade based on what ACE (american council of education?? I think that's the right name) suggests for this test. They say 50.. and her first choice of college says 50. She got a 62. I have seen some colleges that want it at 63 or higher. so mileage can vary.

This is what we did. Used the MFW lesson plans and did their sequence. Saxon 87, Saxon Alg I, Jacob's Geometry, Saxon Alg 2. after Saxon Alg 2, we then did the CLEP study on the DIVE CD for Saxon Alg 2 . That covered about 20 new lessons/topics from Saxon Advanced that were beyond Alg 2. It included practice tests as well. My daughter did it as an intensive self study in approximately 4-5 weeks and then waited a week and took the CLEP for college algebra 2 and got 62, and many colleges will award credit with 50 and higher.

so, yes, there are more topics to learn after a text lke saxon alg 2..... but that's our expeirence with the DIVE CD for clep. I don't know if her results are typical, or how the DIVE clep study compares to the REA guides.

I also have no idea about the stats course or other options for 12th grade. :)