Menu

Please help me narrow these down - 5th grade ancients

Rebecca can only read so many books.

D'Aulaire's Greek Myths (with the MP lit guide)

Hittite Warrior

Mara, Daughter of the Nile

The Golden Goblet

God King

Tales of Ancient Egypt

Pharaohs of Ancient Egypt

I can do one or two as RA's, which will include Sylvia. Then I want to assign extra reading to Rebecca to study a little more in-depth. Would you eliminate any of these? Which one(s)? Which might be better as read-alouds?

Rebecca can only read so many books.

D'Aulaire's Greek Myths (with the MP lit guide)

Hittite Warrior

Mara, Daughter of the Nile

The Golden Goblet

God King

Tales of Ancient Egypt

Pharaohs of Ancient Egypt

I can do one or two as RA's, which will include Sylvia. Then I want to assign extra reading to Rebecca to study a little more in-depth. Would you eliminate any of these? Which one(s)? Which might be better as read-alouds?

I'd definitely do the Greek Myths and Tales of Ancient Egypt as read-alouds. These would be great for both ages; they were big hits with all my kids.

Not sure about the others - my dds never took much to books about warriors with male protagonists. Mara, though, is a love story, which may not resonate with your 10yo? You'd know better than I... I think my kids thought Golden Goblet was okay, but I can't think of a longer historical fiction book from those periods that thrilled them (and I think I had them read many of them).

Tales of Ancient Egypt and Pharaohs of Ancient Egypt would be best as read alouds. I'd read small bites daily and spread them out. Their reading level is roughly the same, but which one to have a fifth grader read independently would depend on the kid. My rising fifth grader would probably enjoy the Pharaohs book more, but my myth loving ds would have preferred Tales.

The Greek Myths one is a fun read aloud, but it's also an easier read for a fifth grader than the above books.

The other four are fictional history. I'd be inclined to drop Mara. My DD read it around that age and thought it wasn't worth the haul to get through it.

Definitely do Tales of Ancient Egypt and Greek myths. Those are great books. Any chance she could do some as books on CD or iTunes? The Golden Goblet is a long book. I let Indy listen to it and he loved it. He couldn't wait to listen to it every day. I made him read 22 books this year, which is a lot considering he's dyslexic, but I counted GG in his books.

Read Aloud D'Aulaire's Greek Myths and The Golden Goblet (I think both girls would enjoy these)

Assign Hittite Warrior, God King, and Pharaohs of Ancient Egypt (The first two I wouldn't read aloud with an 8yo. The 3rd can be a little dry, but has excellent information.)

Drop: Mara, Daughter of the Nile (I really wasn't impressed with this one.)

I haven't read Tales of Ancient Egypt yet.

HTH

We read aloud The Golden Goblet. Good read. :)

One of my ds's (4th grade) disliked God King as an independent reader. The other ds (6th grade) disliked Mara, Daughter of the Nile as an independent reader. Both ds's read and enjoyed Greek Myths as an independent reader.