Menu

Book a Week in 2013 - week Twenty Two

Robin M

Excuse my venting. Just when quite a few things in my life are seriously going wrong, the library card that my good friend gave me to loan books for my Kindle no longer works :sad:. I'll have to read much more slowly and go through fewer books, since I really cannot see how I can afford to buy a new book every week or so. The card doesn't work and Kindle books are still shamefully expensive :banghead:. I don't know what to do. Books are my escape. No libraries here.

Thank you for allowing me to vent.

My SIL just arrived back home from your island (BIL is in medical school) and one of the first things we did was take her to the library. She checked out an enormous number of books! :grouphug: I can imagine how you're feeling.

Our most recent time-stealing excitement is one of unmitigated joy - our eldest daughter is engaged! In addition to preparing for the upcoming bas mitzvahs (can it really be almost 12 years since the twins were born??!!), we're helping her plan for an August wedding.

Congratulations to all!

I reread one of Dorothy Dunnett's Johnson Johnson novels Dolly and the Bird of Paradise (US title: Tropical Issue) they are silly, silly books with a higher action level than I usually like, I am baffled as to how some of them ended up on my comfort reading list...

I didn't know that Dorothy Dunnett was ever silly! OK, maybe Lymond's steeplechase is silly but breathtakingly fun to read!

I read Soyinka's childhood memoir, Ake, a number of years ago. I should read something else of his....

Haven't been on the list for awhile due to studying and family drama, which , btw, I am sick to death of.

Been reading The Divine Conspiracy by Dallas Willard. It is the most beautiful book I've ever read about Christianity/God/Christ. It's slow reading cause the man is brillant and deep, but worth every minute.

The kids and I read "Victory at the Walls" - a Bethleham book about Nehemiah. Wholesome and good.

And then, there's the MFT study guide.....

Finished in the last few weeks:

#28 For the Children's Sake by Susan Schaeffer Macaulay - A great intro to Charlotte Mason's educational philosophy, and a good refresher, too.

#29 The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan Bradley (audiobook) - Fun and well-written, though I wasn't too enamored of some of Flavia's behavior (repeated lying, etc.). I was kind of hoping it was something I would feel comfortable letting my dd listen to, but not so.

#30 Raising Real Men: Surviving, Teaching and Appreciating Boys by Hal and Melanie Young - Excellent book, and just the encouragement I needed with boy #4 due very soon!

#31 The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame - This was a read-aloud with the kids which they enjoyed very much. :)

Excuse my venting. Just when quite a few things in my life are seriously going wrong, the library card that my good friend gave me to loan books for my Kindle no longer works :sad:. I'll have to read much more slowly and go through fewer books, since I really cannot see how I can afford to buy a new book every week or so. The card doesn't work and Kindle books are still shamefully expensive :banghead:. I don't know what to do. Books are my escape. No libraries here.

:grouphug:

:grouphug:

Rosie and everyone else who's so very sweet here, thank you. :grouphug:

Negin, is there anything I can do to help? I'm not sure how the restrictions work or if there is a way around them as far as access to online e-book loans.

Thank you so much. I think the only way is to have a library card or at least a library card number. Other than that, I really don't know much about it at all.

Between vacation and adjusting to being back from vacation, I have not been able to post. Plus, my children are always on the one computer. But I have been able to keep up with my reading. I finished (22) Murder on the Orient Express, (23) The House at Riverton and (24) 4:50 to Paddington. I attempted the Don't Judge a Book by Its Cover Challenge and it was a fail. I could not finish the book. I tried Fly Away by Kristin Hannah. Beautiful cover but it was just too depressing for me. Currently, I am on an Agatha Christie kick. So this week I am reading The Tuesday Club Murders and The Murder of Roger Ackroyd. Thanks to the recommendations here I will be reading more of Kate Morton as well.

Have had a majorly stressful few weeks w/ the culmination being that two of my elderly sick cats died w/in a few hours of each other yesterday. One had a seizure & passed away; the other one, we had to take in to be put to sleep a few hours later. This after my very elderly cat who died in March. It's been a very hard, sad few months. Just feeling mentally & emotionally fried today. Want to get into reading something but something along the lines of Green Eggs and Ham is about the level I can hope to manage at this point. Anyone have any recommendations of reading when feeling completely brain dead?

:grouphug: :grouphug: I hope things will be looking up for you. I second the ideas of a musical or a Wooster & Jeeves book.

Today is my eldest's last day of public high school as a student! She loves it so much that she's asked to stay & do community service all day for the next 4 weeks, so she'll be signing the waivers; now that she's 18, she does all of that.

This week I read book number 50 Jane and the Wandering Eye by Stephanie Barron, which I give 3.5 stars to; if you like mysteries, you may rate this higher. This is the third book in this series. Right now I'm reading The Hound of the Baskervilles and Durable Goods by Elizabeth Berg. DS and I are listening to The Boy Who Owned the School.

What did you think of it?

Re: Enemy Women

I liked this novel well enough to read it twice; I liked it considerably better than her book Stormy Weather. I simply got used to the dialogue having no quotation marks. I'm not sure if it was the first book I ever read like that or not, but at first I found it annoying until I was used to it.

:grouphug: I sent you a PM.

32. The Map That Changed the World (Simon Winchester) -- Nonfiction about the first geological survey map of England. Interesting stuff and not too hard on end-of-school-year brain.

Interesting and not heavy, but how good is it? If you were to rate it, how many stars out of 5?

Pm'd you.

Hang on -- not fair to send a PM about a book -- we all need to hear what you think about Map That Changed the World! I have really enjoyed it, though I did slow down considerably half way through it and have not yet finished it. Simon Winchester is a very readable author because he is a good story teller. Non-fiction is interesting and compelling in his hands. I think one of the things that slowed me down in the middle was the chapter on the geology of England. He writes assuming a his reader has a passing knowledge of British geography, which I barely possess, so I found myself stopping to look at a map or to find pictures on the internet.

I'm going to shop for e-books and paper backs this weekend, choosing from my list of mysteries y'all have recommended this year. I am flying cross country and need a good airplane read, then I'll be driving back. My oldest is graduating from college next week and since he has struck out job hunting in Florida he decided to move back to California. So we are driving the I-10 in a couple of weeks. With his cat. There needs to be wine and a good book at the hotel each night!!

I started listening to Count of Monte Cristo this week. Talk about a chunkster!! Its almost 50 hours long! But the reader is excellent and the reviews on Audible are glowing, so it should help me pass some of the long hours on the road.

I picked up the next DCI Banks mystery and was pleasantly surprised to find that it tied in with the non-Banks novel I had just read.

I should have finished From the Mouth of the Whale by Sunday. It is lovely, truly, but my mind has been in too much of a whirl to settle down and enjoy it. And I should be done with Map that Changed the World as I only have a few more chapters to go.

Well you managed to convince me to put this one on hold! I read his "The Professor and the Madman" earlier this year and learned many fascinating things.

Hope you have a safe and enjoyable journey with lots of good books!

Hang on -- not fair to send a PM about a book -- we all need to hear what you think about Map That Changed the World! I have really enjoyed it, though I did slow down considerably half way through it and have not yet finished it. Simon Winchester is a very readable author because he is a good story teller. Non-fiction is interesting and compelling in his hands. I think one of the things that slowed me down in the middle was the chapter on the geology of England. He writes assuming a his reader has a passing knowledge of British geography, which I barely possess, so I found myself stopping to look at a map or to find pictures on the internet.

Stacia - Sorry to hear about your cats, and I'm glad you found a good fluff book to read! grouphug.gif

Negin - It looks like you may already have received the help you need, but if you're still in need of a library card number, I may be able to PM you mine.

So sorry to hear this! I'd love to help in some way.

While I am enjoying both Population: 485 and The Elegance of the Hedgehog, I am also in need of a mystery--my favorite escape from the world. Since I like series, I decided to try a book by Michael Dibdin, Vendetta, the second in his Aurelio Zen mysteries. I think I read the first in the series, Ratking, in recent years. Or maybe I just remember it from Masterpiece?

There were only a couple of Zen mysteries made for Masterpiece. Why were they not more popular? Who doesn't want to watch a brooding anti-hero (who lives with his mother!) fight corruption in Italy?

I think Zen and I may have some dates on the beach in the weeks ahead...

Stuck this on my to-read list. I should read more mystery novels.

Negin - It looks like you may already have received the help you need, but if you're still in need of a library card number, I may be able to PM you mine.

Thank you so much. :grouphug:

Hopefully, the one that is being so kindly sent to me will work. If not, I'll let you know.

You ladies are all so sweet and thoughtful. Thank you everyone. :grouphug: