Menu

Moving to Clovis, NM

SailorMom

Well - we're been here almost 8 years, and as a military family, that has to be some kind of record, lol. So - I know I shouldn't complain and that we've been very fortunate.

But - kids have been here since 2nd and 3rd grade, and this has become home. It is going to be so tough!

I also LOVE my house, love sailing, and have a wonderful veggie garden I'm going to miss.

Oh well...

We lived in Albuquerque for 9 months and loved it there, great homeschool group on the base, tons to do. I am hearing this is not the case for Clovis....

So - anyone BTDT?

Well, I lived in Clovis as a teen! Actually it is where I graduated from high school. We moved there from North Carolina in the middle of my junior year -- two days after my 16th birthday. And then moved to South Carolina the day after I graduated high school!

Clovis is small and in the middle of nowhere. I drove through again for the first time about 3 years ago and it actually seem to have grow since I was there.

At the time it seemed big but the town where we were living in NC was nothing but a post office and elementary school with a few houses around it. Clovis was a large city compared to that!!

I don't know anything about the homeschool atmosphere, however. I did not even know there was such a thing way back then.

You just sent me on a trip down memory lane.

Linda

I lived in Portales 4 years. It's a small town (when I lived there, you had to go to Clovis to even find a Wal-mart and had to go to Lubbock to see most movies), and there's not much to do, so a lot revolves around the school-both the high school (when I was there, singular) and college. It's a very Catholic/Baptist area-as a Methodist, I was definitely outside the loop on a lot of things. I didn't have kids yet, but I could see it being a very difficult place to homeschool, unless there are a lot of military homeschoolers. IIRC, the base is actually between Clovis and Portales (and they're only about 30 miles apart).

There may actually be more to do, homeschool-wise, in Portales since it has the main college campus. Unless they've improved the public library a lot, you'll want to get a card for the college library-it has a good children's book section and a good educational materials section, which includes access (with a college library card) to laminators, die-cut machines, copiers, binding machines, and stuff like that at a pretty low cost (teaching is one of the biggest majors there), and an AMAZING Sci-Fi section (Jack Williamson was on faculty there, and donated his personal collection to the University, and others have followed suit).

If you have a kid who is into reptiles, the biology building has a nice collection (and rescue/captive breeding/restoration) program for Southwestern reptiles, plus a few exotics. My DD got to spend several happy hours talking to a grad student and hearing multiple rattlesnakes rattle at the same time a few years ago when we stopped by for a visit (I was doing a workshop at Texas Tech, and couldn't resist going back to Portales). The music, dance, and drama departments used to offer classes for kids at a pretty low cost, too.

I actually enjoyed living there, but it's no Albuquerque!

Wow - thank you all for so much info :)

I'm trying to stay positive about it, but I have heard a lot of negative feedback from military families we know already there (or just back from there).

Whether we like it or not, it'll be home for the next 3 years-ish, so might as well just get over it, lol!

You'll be close to Lubbock! That's about all the good I know about Clovis. I'm sorry - we just moved to El Paso and I'm not loving it. Dh can put in for a new station at 18 months - we've been here 1 month and I'm already counting down. Be prepared for dirt and wind - lots of dirt and wind. Actually - you'll be pretty close to Taos and Santa Fe. Those are both absolutely beautiful.